April 15, 2001
THE BOXER stood in the middle of the ring, snapping out left jabs. Occasionally, he would cross with his right hand, pivoting on his right foot as he did so to get extra power in the punch. Then he would fire off a left hook and uppercut. He shadow-boxed in a ring on the second floor of a building in the 1500 block of N. Fulton St., deep in the heart of West Baltimore. He presented a stark contrast to what was happening on the first floor, where a cluster of youngsters, elementary- and middle school-aged, hovered around 19 computers, studying, researching and being tutored in reading or math.