Advertisement
HomeCollectionsSource
IN THE NEWS

Source

SPORTS
By Dan Connolly and The Baltimore Sun | February 21, 2014
Since signing right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez, the Orioles have intensified their interest in free agent designated hitter Kendrys Morales, according to a source. The Orioles have been linked to the switch-hitting designated hitter throughout the offseason, but didn't appear to be in serious negotiations previously. That pursuit seemingly has increased in seriousness, the source said, due to two developments. One, the Orioles had been hesitant to forfeit their first-round pick - 17th overall - to sign Morales, but they instead forfeited it when agreeing to a four-year deal with Jimenez.
Advertisement
SPORTS
By Eduardo A. Encina and Dan Connolly and The Baltimore Sun | February 21, 2014
SARASOTA, Fla. - The ink has only just dried on the Orioles' monumental four-year deal with starter Ubaldo Jimenez, but the club remains interested in acquiring at least one other big-ticket free agent. The Orioles have intensified their pursuit of free-agent designated hitter Kendrys Morales and right-handed starter Ervin Santana, according to industry sources. The club has been linked to both players throughout the offseason, but did not appear to be in serious negotiations recently as Jimenez signed a four-year, $50 million deal, the largest and longest contract given to a free-agent pitcher in franchise history.
SPORTS
By Aaron Wilson and Jeff Zrebiec, The Baltimore Sun | February 16, 2014
The Ravens reached an agreement on a contract extension with veteran rush linebacker Terrell Suggs on Sunday night that is expected to give the team additional salary-cap room, according to team sources. Suggs, 31, has verbally agreed to the deal, according to sources, and he's expected to sign the contract Monday morning. Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome and Suggs will speak to reporters at a news conference at noon on Monday at the Under Armour Performance Center. Full details of Suggs' adjusted contract weren't available Sunday evening , but he was scheduled to make a $7.8 million base salary under the previous terms of his six-year, $62.5 million contract.
SPORTS
By Eduardo A. Encina and The Baltimore Sun | February 13, 2014
SARASOTA, Fla. -- On the eve of the first workout for pitchers and catchers this spring, the Orioles once again traveled an international route Thursday in an attempt to improve their pitching staff, agreeing to terms with South Korean right-handed pitcher Suk-min Yoon on a three-year deal, according to an industry source. The Orioles' agreement with the 27-year-old is worth $5.575 million guaranteed over the three years and is pending a club physical, the source said. The Orioles have not officially announced the deal.
NEWS
By Greg Kline | February 7, 2014
Recently, Republican candidate for governor Charles Lollar gave an interview to the Washington Post in which he touted his idea to eliminate Maryland's income tax. Mr. Lollar, however, has not issued a detailed plan explaining how he would offset the revenue generated by the state's income tax, which represents over half of all the general fund revenue taken by the state.  Mr. Lollar simply states that he " is confident that the loss in revenue can be offset by the economic impact of recruiting more businesses to the state.
NEWS
By Ian Duncan and Justin Fenton, The Baltimore Sun | February 4, 2014
Law enforcement agencies across Maryland have launched a joint investigation to find the source of a deadly variant of heroin that has claimed dozens of lives in recent months and sent outreach workers scrambling to warn addicts. Authorities say the powerful mixture of heroin and the synthetic opiate fentanyl has also turned up in New England, New York and Pennsylvania. In Maryland, they say, they have been caught off guard by the scale of the problem. For months, health workers, drug users and police have caught glimpses of the cocktail and the damage it has caused.
SPORTS
By Dan Connolly and The Baltimore Sun | February 3, 2014
The Orioles have enough interest in signing Korean right-hander Suk-min Yoon that they have made him an offer, according to an industry source. Yoon has received multiple offers to pitch in the major leagues in 2014, but he has not yet made a decision, a source said. That could come within the next several days. Along with representatives from the San Francisco Giants, the Orioles attended a private workout for Yoon in California last week. Club officials wanted to make sure that Yoon, a 27-year-old who reportedly has a fastball in the low 90s, was healthy.
SPORTS
By Jeff Zrebiec and Mike Preston and The Baltimore Sun | January 26, 2014
What appeared to be a two-man competition for the Ravens' vacant offensive coordinator job includes at least one other candidate, according to a team source. Ravens coach John Harbaugh spent Sunday interviewing an undisclosed candidate at the Under Armour Performance Center, a development that adds further intrigue to a process that appeared to be wrapping up. When Harbaugh informed Pittsburgh Steelers running back coach Kirby Wilson on Saturday that he was going in a different direction with the hire, that seemingly left current Ravens wide receivers coach Jim Hostler and former Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan as the two remaining candidates.
SPORTS
By Aaron Wilson and Jeff Zrebiec and The Baltimore Sun | January 25, 2014
The Ravens' search for a new offensive coordinator has been narrowed to a pair of finalists: former Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and Ravens wide receivers coach Jim Hostler. Pittsburgh Steelers running backs Kirby Wilson, who interviewed for the position Friday, was among the initial group of finalists. He was informed by coach John Harbaugh on Saturday that he was no longer under consideration for the job, according to two sources. Wilson soon after verbally accepted a position as the Minnesota Vikings' running backs coach, according to a source.
SPORTS
By Dan Connolly and The Baltimore Sun | January 23, 2014
The Orioles may attempt to ramp up their pursuit of Fernando Rodney, the best free-agent closer still available, but they hadn't done it as of Thursday afternoon. According to an industry source, the Orioles and Rodney's representatives have not had any dialogue in weeks while the club narrowed its focus to starting pitching. That's contrary to several Internet reports Thursday that said the talks between the Orioles and Rodney had heated up. That's not the case, the source says, but perhaps it could be in the near future.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.