Advertisement
HomeCollectionsSexual Assault
IN THE NEWS

Sexual Assault

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
By Colin Campbell, The Baltimore Sun | February 17, 2014
A 25-year-old man suspected in multiple sexual assaults and robberies, including one last week, has been arrested, police said. Police arrested Bernard Burton, of the 2000 block of E. Baltimore St., Feb. 12 on an open warrant in a sexual assault in the 100 block of N. Rose St., from July of 2012, police said. A police spokesman did not know how long the warrant had been open. A DNA test linked Burton to a more recent sexual assault and robbery in the 2800 block of E. Fairmount Ave., on Monday of last week, police said.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
By Pamela Wood, The Baltimore Sun | February 10, 2014
Attorneys for a Naval Academy midshipman accused of sexually assaulting a classmate argued Monday that the academy's superintendent was pressured to prosecute the case — one of several claims the legal team is making in an effort to have the case dismissed. Midshipman Joshua Tate is awaiting trial on charges of aggravated sexual assault and making false statements, stemming from an alleged assault at an April 2012 off-campus party. The case has gained national attention, and at a motions hearing in military court at the Washington Navy Yard, Tate's attorneys said academy Superintendent Vice Adm. Michael H. Miller was influenced by military and political pressure when he made the decision to prosecute the midshipman.
Advertisement
NEWS
By Andrea F. Siegel, The Baltimore Sun | December 6, 2011
A 14-year-old Odenton youth is facing attempted rape and other charges, Anne Arundel County police said this week, accusing him of sexually assaulting a female student in a bathroom at Arundel Senior High School, police said. Police said the student was charged Monday as a juvenile with attempted second-degree rape, second-degree sex assault and a second-degree sex offense. He was released to a relative, police said. Last Monday, school officials received an anonymous call alerting them to a possible sexual assault in a bathroom earlier in the day. A female student told police that she knew the student whom she said attacked her. andrea.siegel@baltsun.com Text NEWS to 70701 to get Baltimore Sun local news text alerts
NEWS
February 10, 2014
According to a recent White House report, one out of every five young women is victimized by a sexual assault during her college years. Yet nearly half those crimes are never reported to school officials or to police. Only about 12 percent of students formally report a sexual assault on campus, investigators found, with the result that such acts have become one of the most underreported crimes against college women. That is why Del. Jon S. Cardin, a Baltimore County Democrat and candidate for attorney general, has introduced legislation in this year's General Assembly that would require Maryland's colleges and universities to conduct anonymous surveys among women students in order to determine how commonly incidents of sexual assault actually occur on the state's campuses.
NEWS
By Andrea F. Siegel, The Baltimore Sun | June 3, 2010
A former Randallstown man was sentenced this week to 40 years in prison for the sexual assault in March 2009 of an employee at an Edgewater restaurant after she got off work, according to court records. Christopher Edward Taylor, 36, of Washington, D.C., was accused of forcing his way into the woman's car at gunpoint at about 11:30 p.m. March 31 after she left work at an Original Steakhouse, assaulting her and making her take him to an ATM to withdraw cash from her bank account.
NEWS
AEGIS STAFF REPORT | May 21, 2013
Bel Air Police say they are investigating an abduction and attempted sexual assault that began on the town's southwest side late the evening of May 14. At approximately 11 p.m., the victim, a woman in her mid-20s, reported stopping in the area of Marketplace Drive and Route 24 to help a man who was waving for help along the roadside, the Bel Air Police Department said in a news release issued Friday morning. According to the release, the man forced his way into the victim's car and drove to a location in Abingdon or Edgewood "where he attempted to sexually assault the victim.
NEWS
By Andrea F. Siegel, The Baltimore Sun | December 4, 2012
Anne Arundel County police have arrested a Glen Burnie man and charged him with raping and stabbing a woman he knew from her job. Police said the woman told them she was held in the man's apartment against her will, stabbed and sexually assaulted Monday. Afterward, the woman was forced into her vehicle and driven to the Food Lion supermarket in the 100 block of Crain Highway North, police said. There, without her attacker's knowledge, she alerted the store's staff to contact police, according to police.
NEWS
By Luke Lavoie, llavoie@tribune.com | September 11, 2013
A woman was groped last week on an east Columbia footpath, marking the fourth similar type of sexual assault in that area in a four-week span, according to Howard County Police. Police believe all four incidents, on footpaths in Owen Brown and Long Reach, were committed by the same man. In the series of incidents, which occurred on Aug. 7, Aug. 9, Aug. 25 and Sept. 5, the suspect is described by police as a black man, 5 feet 10, between 150 and 170 pounds with short black hair and in his 20s. “We are taking our response to these incidents very seriously and have implemented a coordinated response including an increased patrol presence and a thorough criminal investigation,” police spokeswoman Mary T. Phelan said in a statement Tuesday.
NEWS
By Jessica Anderson, The Baltimore Sun | November 2, 2012
City police are investigating a sexual assault of a female jogger, who was attacked by a man armed with a knife in Fells Point Friday morning. Police are unclear of the exact location but say a woman in her 20s was attacked between 5 a.m. and 7 a.m. by a man who was possibly wearing a mask and armed with a knife. The victim received medical treatment and has met with investigators, police said. She has met with TurnAround, Inc. a victim advocacy group that has partnered with the police department to investigate sex crimes.
NEWS
By Steve Kilar, The Baltimore Sun | February 24, 2012
The sexual assault of a 9-year-old girl reported Sunday to authorities in Anne Arundel County is unfounded, police said Friday. The reported sexual assault allegedly occurred on Feb. 14 after the girl left her Pasadena elementary school, according to a statement released Tuesday from Anne Arundel County Police. It had been reported that shortly after 3 p.m. the girl was heading home from Lake Shore Elementary by walking through the Riding Woods neighborhood when a man "grabbed her and pulled her into a wooded area," according to the statement.
NEWS
By Brian Frosh and Kathleen Dumais | February 3, 2014
Last year, in Prince George's County, more than 50 strangers visited a woman during a two-week period. The uninvited men arrived at all hours, day and night, some trying to force their way into her house. Each showed up expecting to have violent sex with her - and, in some instances, her children. Terrified for the safety of her family, she resorted to sitting up all night with a shotgun barrel trained on her front door. Her four children slept in the living room, too afraid to sleep in their own beds.
NEWS
By Justin Fenton, The Baltimore Sun | January 30, 2014
Two Baltimore women are being held without bail after being charged with torturing and sexually assaulting another woman in Reservoir Hill, police said.  According to a police charging document, a 23-year-old woman told police that a longtime friend, Shameka Davis, 29, invited her to an apartment on Lennox St. on Jan. 23. At the apartment, the woman said Davis tied her to a chair and duct tape was placed over her mouth, and a knit hat was pulled...
NEWS
By Pamela Wood, The Baltimore Sun | January 24, 2014
The superintendent of the Naval Academy told a military judge Friday that his decision to prosecute a midshipman in a high-profile sexual assault case was not influenced by politicians, public pressure or his military supervisors. Vice Adm. Michael H. Miller spent more than three hours on the stand in a military court at the Washington Navy Yard defending his decision to pursue charges against Midshipman Joshua Tate. He rebutted the contention that the national spotlight on sexual assault in the military — including a pledge from President Barack Obama to root out sexual predators in the service — affected the way he has handled the case.
NEWS
January 14, 2014
Nancy J. Parrish, president of the Washington-based advocacy group Protect Our Defenders, said the Naval Academy football players case could deter future victims from pressing charges ( "Naval Academy drops sex assault charges against football player," Jan. 11). I hope she is right, but not in the way she probably meant it. Instead, I hope the case will make women think twice before filing bogus charges like those in this case, both within and without the military justice system.
NEWS
By Pamela Wood, The Baltimore Sun | January 10, 2014
The U.S. Naval Academy announced Friday that criminal charges have been dropped against a midshipman accused of sexually assaulting a classmate at an off-campus party. Military lawyers recommended to academy Superintendent Vice Adm. Michael Miller not to proceed with the case against Midshipman Eric Graham. As commanding officer, Miller makes the decision whether to prosecute. Graham, a senior from Eight Mile, Ala., had been facing charges of abusive sexual contact and making a false statement.
NEWS
By Matthew Hay Brown, The Baltimore Sun | January 10, 2014
Naval Academy officials say an increase in reports of sexual assault shows they are making progress against the crime. Fifteen sexual assaults were reported at the academy during the 2012-2013 academic year, the Pentagon said Friday, up from 13 the year before. The data came in the Pentagon's Annual Report on Sexual Harassment and Violence at the Military Service Academies. Reports of sexual assault fell at the U.S. Military Academy and the U.S. Air Force Academy, for an overall drop across the academies from 80 in 2011-2012 to 70 in 2012-2013.
NEWS
By Don Markus, The Baltimore Sun | April 16, 2010
A 20-year-old Ellicott City man was sentenced to 30 years in prison Friday for robbing a Ledo Pizza restaurant last year while on pretrial release for sexual assault. Jamal Veraughn Brown was sentenced in Howard County Circuit Court to 15 years for the March 2009 armed robbery of the restaurant in Ellicott City. Brown, of the 3500 block of Court House Drive, will serve a mandatory five years for possession of a handgun in the commission of a violent crime, and at least half of the sentence for the armed robbery.
NEWS
By Tricia Bishop, The Baltimore Sun | January 31, 2011
A 44-year-old Gwynn Oak man was convicted Monday of second-degree attempted murder and second-degree rape in the first of three city trials in which he is accused of sexual assault and murder. A Baltimore jury deliberated roughly three hours before returning the verdict against William Vincent Brown, who faces up to 50 years in prison, according to the Baltimore State's Attorney's Office. Brown was accused of acting as an illegal "hack" taxi driver and picking up the victim in April 2003, assaulting and brutally beating her. He nearly severed her ears from her head, according to the woman's pre-trial testimony, and dumped her comatose body in Leakin Park.
NEWS
By Pamela Wood, The Baltimore Sun | January 9, 2014
Military prosecutors are seeking to dismiss charges against one of the Naval Academy midshipmen accused of sexually assaulting a female classmate, according to the woman's attorney. Midshipman Eric Graham, a senior from Eight Mile, Ala., is facing a court-martial this month on charges of abusive sexual contact and making a false statement in connection with the alleged assault at an off-campus party in 2012. But prosecutors lost the use of key evidence in pre-trial hearings and will ask the Naval Academy superintendent to drop the case, said Ryan Guilds, a Washington attorney who represents the woman.
NEWS
By Matthew Hay Brown, The Baltimore Sun | January 9, 2014
The number of sexual assaults reported at the Naval Academy increased slightly last year while reports fell at the other service academies, according to an assessment to be released by the Pentagon on Friday. Overall reports at the three academies fell from 80 during the 2011-2012 academic year to 70 in 2012-2013, according to the Annual Report on Sexual Harassment and Violence at the Military Service Academies obtained by The Baltimore Sun. That drop runs counter to the recent militarywide trend of increased reporting - a trend that officials have said indicates a growing trust in the military justice system.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.