Advertisement
HomeCollectionsRecreation Centers
IN THE NEWS

Recreation Centers

NEWS
By Caitlin Francke and Caitlin Francke,SUN STAFF | April 4, 2002
The city Board of Estimates approved yesterday hiring a consultant to survey residents to determine what they want from the Department of Recreation and Parks and to find funds for the agency from the private sector. Parks Director Marvin F. Billups Jr. said the consultant, who will be paid $29,250, also will analyze past studies of the department and interview residents and organizations about the agency. "What we are constantly finding is that there are many expectations that are all a little bit different," Billups said.
Advertisement
NEWS
By Dail Willis and Dail Willis,SUN STAFF | March 13, 1999
A second charge of petty theft scheme was filed yesterday against a man accused of soliciting donations for children's sports and then keeping the money, and Baltimore County police say at least 80 people have reported they gave the man money.Kirk Russell Bryant, 29, of the 1300 block of Saratoga Ave. was being held in the Woodlawn precinct pending a bail hearing yesterday, said Officer Morgan Hassler.After the first criminal charge was reported by the media, a woman who did not want to be identified called and said Bryant had tried to collect money from her and became angry when she declined.
NEWS
By Julie Scharper, The Baltimore Sun | October 13, 2011
Baltimore officials said Thursday that they have received proposals to run more recreation centers than previously announced, but said the future of many centers remains in doubt because of budget constraints. Seven groups submitted proposals Wednesday to run 16 city recreation centers, but bids covering 10 of those centers could be legally deficient, said Deputy Comptroller B. Harriette Taylor. Taylor said she forwarded those bids, which were submitted by four organizations, to the law department for further review.
NEWS
By Tom Pelton and Tom Pelton,SUN STAFF | April 29, 2003
City Councilman Kenneth N. Harris Sr., Mayor Martin O'Malley and city school administrators are working to create a stepped-up effort to return truant children to school. Starting Monday, the city will begin a pilot program at Calverton Middle School on the west side in which a school police officer will drive a van around the neighborhood near the school, picking up truant pupils and returning them to the school, according to city officials. At the school, the children will be evaluated by social workers to determine if they have problems that can be addressed, said Deputy Mayor Jeanne Hitchcock.
NEWS
By Roger Twigg and Roger Twigg,Staff Writer Staff Writer Michael A. Fletcher contributed to this story | May 4, 1992
Mayor Kurt L. Schmoke today unveiled a plan to close two city recreation centers while proposing alternative uses for eight others.Under the plan, which would take effect July 1, several recreation centers would be offered to community organizations to operate.The plan was given to City Council members today.The 10 centers, which have a combined annual operating budget of $409,790, are spread among the city's six councilmanic districts.Clint Coleman, the mayor's press secretary, said Mayor Schmoke or Department of Recreation and Parks officials conferred with community leaders before proposing the changes, which are intended to improve the effectiveness of the remaining 67 recreation centers.
NEWS
By Robert Guy Matthews and Tom Pelton and Robert Guy Matthews and Tom Pelton,SUN STAFF | March 28, 1997
Draconian proposals by the city to cover a multimillion budget shortfall are about as predictable as the arrival of spring and Opening Day at Camden Yards. Making the rounds this year is a proposal to close every recreation center in town and cordon off parks from the public.Residents were in an uproar yesterday after learning about another element of the budget cuts -- shutting down all of the city's senior citizen centers.While such drastic cuts are rarely carried out, the reactions of citizens usually put city leaders on the defensive.
NEWS
By Robert Guy Matthews and Robert Guy Matthews,SUN STAFF | June 9, 1998
Inside the Clarence Du Burns Arena, one of the Baltimore area's premier soccer facilities, 9-year-old Matthew Wilson's eyes lock on the ball in front of him. His arms and legs twitch in anticipation of scoring.Young Matthew tunes out the faint din of cheering parents, and with lightning-fast speed catapults the ball toward the goal. He scores. Lights flash and bells ring.Matthew looks over at his buddy as the soccer pinball machine quiets down and says, "You got another quarter? I want to play again."
NEWS
By Laura Smitherman and Laura Smitherman,laura.smitherman@baltsun.com | June 15, 2009
Northeast Baltimore teenager Sanchel Brown developed a passion for all forms of dance, from African to tap, at a local recreation center that set her upon her current path to college. But she worries that kids in her neighborhood may be denied the same opportunity because of budget cuts at City Hall. "They complain about the children always making trouble, but we don't have anything to do that's affordable," said Brown, a rising senior at Baltimore City College who is looking to apply to colleges around the state and major in dance.
NEWS
By Robert Guy Matthews and Robert Guy Matthews,SUN STAFF Sun staff writers Erin Texeira and Marilyn McCraven contributed to this article | June 7, 1997
Baltimore recreation and parks chief Marlyn J. Perritt abruptly resigned yesterday, one day after the mayor questioned her leadership and ordered a review of the top management of her agency.Mayor Kurt L. Schmoke said yesterday that he heard about Perritt's resignation secondhand through his deputy chief of staff. He said that he likely will discuss the details of her departure next week."I think she has had to deal with some very difficult situations, particularly the extremely tight budget she's had to deal with and it has been stressful for her," Schmoke said.
NEWS
By Gerard Shields and Gerard Shields,SUN STAFF | October 20, 2000
Despite early City Council concerns about his nomination as director of recreation and parks, Marvin F. Billups Jr. sailed through his confirmation hearing last night, pledging to restore city parks and playgrounds to national prominence. If Mayor Martin O'Malley's nominee is approved by the full council Monday, Billups will inherit a park system that even advocates say is in dire shape. Billups, 58, a division chief in Prince George's County for the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, faces the tasks of restoring several deteriorating recreation centers from dangerous conditions and trying to enhance a once-prominent park system that a national study recently said had declined.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.