Advertisement
HomeCollectionsPublic Works Director
IN THE NEWS

Public Works Director

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
By Pamela Wood, The Baltimore Sun | August 5, 2013
Anne Arundel County Executive Laura Neuman has named two more department leaders for county government. Chris Phipps will be director of the Department of Public Works, while Julie Mussog will take over as controller. Phipps had been serving as acting public works director following the retirement of Ron Bowen on June 30. He previously was deputy director. Phipps has worked for the Bureau of Engineering in the Department of Public Works for 18 years. He's overseen the department's projects for water and wastewater treatment, roads and bridges, county buildings, dredging and environmental restoration.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
By Pamela Wood, The Baltimore Sun | August 5, 2013
Anne Arundel County Executive Laura Neuman has named two more department leaders for county government. Chris Phipps will be director of the Department of Public Works, while Julie Mussog will take over as controller. Phipps had been serving as acting public works director following the retirement of Ron Bowen on June 30. He previously was deputy director. Phipps has worked for the Bureau of Engineering in the Department of Public Works for 18 years. He's overseen the department's projects for water and wastewater treatment, roads and bridges, county buildings, dredging and environmental restoration.
Advertisement
NEWS
May 18, 1996
Albert Bossyns Kaltenbach, former Baltimore County public works director, died Wednesday of cancer at St. Joseph Medical Center. He was 85.The longtime Towson resident was appointed public works director in 1959 by Baltimore County Executive Christian H. Kahl.He went to work for the county in 1946 after several years as a sanitary engineer for Whitman, Requardt and Associates and as senior assistant engineer for the Baltimore City Bureau of Sewers.He was promoted to assistant director of public works in 1950, and deputy director in 1953.
NEWS
By Pamela Wood, The Baltimore Sun | June 14, 2013
Anne Arundel County's director of public works is retiring after three decades in county government. Ron Bowen is retiring at the end of the month, County Executive Laura Neuman said on Friday. Bowen initially announced his retirement in March shortly after Neuman was appointed county executive. She replaced John R. Leopold, who resigned following his conviction of misconduct in office. Neuman convinced Bowen to change his mind. "I asked him to stay during the immediate transition," Neuman said.
NEWS
By Kerry O'Rourke and Kerry O'Rourke,Sun Staff Writer | March 12, 1995
Carroll County Public Works Director Keith R. Kirschnick announced Friday that he will resign June 30.Mr. Kirschnick, 42, said it was his decision to leave county government after seven years."
NEWS
By William F. Zorzi Jr. and William F. Zorzi Jr.,Staff Writer Staff writer Michael A. Fletcher contributed to this article | December 18, 1992
Baltimore Mayor Kurt L. Schmoke relieved Public Works Director George G. Balog of his duties yesterday, within hours after Mr. Balog was charged with drunken driving while operating a city-owned car.Mr. Balog, 51, one of the mayor's key Cabinet members, will continue to draw his $75,000-a-year salary, but he was given a leave of absence until he completes an alcohol treatment program in a residential facility, Mr. Schmoke said."I decided it would be in the best interest of the department and of Mr. Balog for him to take a leave of absence," Mr. Schmoke said.
NEWS
By Larry Carson and Larry Carson,Staff Writer | October 28, 1993
Baltimore County public works director Gene L. Neff, whose department was decimated by layoffs and reorganization in February, said yesterday that he will resign, effective Nov. 30.The decision ends a 30-year public works career for Mr. Neff, who celebrated his 61st birthday Oct. 15. He said he plans to "look for a change in lifestyle."County government sources said relations between Mr. Neff, public works chief since 1986, and County Executive Roger B. Hayden have not been good for months.
NEWS
By Eric Siegel and Eric Siegel,SUN STAFF | November 11, 1999
A federal judge set a May 15 trial date yesterday in the civil suit brought against Baltimore public works Director George G. Balog and two deputies by two department managers who said they suffered illegal on-the-job retaliation after criticizing a contract to repair a city landfill.This week, U.S. District Judge Frederick N. Smalkin made it clear that he will limit the issues raised at the trial to whether department managers Jeanne Robinson and David Marc were punished for exercising their First Amendment rights.
NEWS
May 24, 2000
GEORGE G. BALOG is not the first or last bureaucrat whose bullying was tolerated because he produced results. But his 12-year reign of vindictiveness over Baltimore's public works department makes his punishment by a federal jury well-justified. Yet the finding against Mr. Balog and a top aide should be read in the narrow context of the case. They indeed "maliciously, wantonly and oppressively" retaliated against underlings who complained about contract irregularities. But a variety of allegations of corruption -- which the U.S. attorney and FBI are investigating -- remain unproven and may never result in prosecution.
NEWS
By Robert Guy Matthews and Robert Guy Matthews,SUN STAFF Sun staff writer Joan Jacobson contributed to this article | November 25, 1995
Public Works Director George G. Balog's recent abrupt firing of a department head came during a dispute in which the man repeatedly warned Mr. Balog that shoddy repair work on a runoff pond at the Quarantine Road Sanitary Landfill could contaminate ground waste.Kenneth J. Strong, who was dismissed Nov. 10 as head of the Bureau of Solid Waste, said a city contractor for the landfill's runoff pond did not seal the pond correctly and that it would have created a public risk. Consequently, Mr. Strong refused to put the pond into service in August.
NEWS
AEGIS STAFF REPORT | December 26, 2012
Additional work will be done to stabilize the banks of Plumtree Run south of George Street in Bel Air under a contract addendum passed by the Board of Town Commissioners at the most recent town meeting. The addendum to the existing contract with Ecotone Inc., of Jarrettsville, will stabilize the stream bank in the area of the Plumtree Square condominiums, according to Public Works Director Randy Robertson. Ecotone is the company the town hired last summer to remove the nearly 50-year-old pipe that carried Plumtree Run under Plumtree Park, so the stream could be daylighted - that is, brought to its natural course above ground.
NEWS
By Mary Gail Hare and Mary Gail Hare,SUN STAFF | February 15, 2005
Douglas E. Myers, Carroll County's director of public works since 2000, has resigned and will leave the county's employ March 9. Myers, a civil engineer who led a staff of about 170 employees, has worked for the county since 1999. He informed the commissioners and his staff of the decision Friday. "This is totally my decision," Myers said yesterday. "I don't take this leaving lightly, and I did not decide overnight. The timing is right for me, and everything is working well here." Myers, 48, is not leaving for another job, but rather to help care for his ailing mother and to tend to several home projects.
NEWS
By FROM STAFF REPORTS | February 25, 2002
In Baltimore City Carroll man arrested as police crack down on illegal ATV use A Finksburg man was arrested and an Eldersburg man ticketed by Maryland Natural Resources Police over the weekend on the Carroll County side of Liberty Reservoir as the agency embarked with Baltimore authorities on "rigorous enforcement" of a ban on all-terrain vehicles on property surrounding Baltimore's reservoirs. City Public Works Director George L. Winfield said Friday that police will seize the ATV of anyone caught driving around a reservoir, and that violations carry fines ranging from $1,000 to $100,000.
NEWS
By Gerard Shields and Gerard Shields,SUN STAFF | October 18, 2000
Baltimore's Public Works Department failed to properly supervise a Little Italy demolition contract that cost city taxpayers an extra $1 million, according to a newly completed audit. City Comptroller Joan M. Pratt's audit, obtained by The Sun, lends credence to criticism that former city Department of Public Works leaders permitted millions of dollars in contract overruns. In 1998, Phipps Construction Contractors Inc. outbid three other companies to demolish the former Montebello Brand Inc. distillery at 400 S. Central Ave. and 1205 Bank St. to build a city parking garage.
NEWS
By Larry Carson and Larry Carson,SUN STAFF | September 28, 2000
Forced to resign as Carroll County's public works director in July, J. Michael Evans will become Howard County's next director of the Inspections, Licenses and Permits Department, starting Oct. 10. Evans, 57, will earn $80,300 in his new job, which was left vacant when David Hammerman retired in July. The resignation came as a shock to many people in Carroll County because of its suddenness and because no reason for the action was ever given - even to Julia Gouge, one of the three Carroll commissioners who wasn't consulted by her two colleagues.
NEWS
By Mary Gail Hare and Mary Gail Hare,SUN STAFF | July 11, 2000
The Carroll County commissioners appointed Douglas E. Myers, a former Manchester councilman and a civil engineer, as acting director of the county's public works department yesterday. A county employee for 14 months, Myers brings 23 years of experience in water and sewer engineering to the post, which became vacant last week with the forced resignation of J. Michael Evans. Commissioner Julia Walsh Gouge said Myers will serve a six-month probation. She said Myers does not want to take the job permanently "until he has tried it out."
NEWS
By Robert Guy Matthews and Robert Guy Matthews,SUN STAFF | August 12, 1997
A city audit looking into alleged bid-rigging and illegal repair work at a South Baltimore landfill has been stymied by the refusal of Public Works Director George G. Balog to answer questions or release critical internal documents for review.The audit had been requested by the City Council president to determine whether Balog's department favored one contractor and if work done by that company at Quarantine Road Sanitary Landfill pond was performed properly in 1995.In the internal report to top city officials, auditors said that city lawyers had advised Department of Public Works officials not to cooperate because of pending litigation and that Balog's agency had, in effect, drawn a curtain around the matter.
NEWS
By Brenda J. Buote and Brenda J. Buote,SUN STAFF | July 5, 2000
Under pressure by the Board of County Commissioners, Carroll's Public Works director is expected to resign today. After a lengthy closed-door discussion with the commissioners Monday, J. Michael Evans, 57, refused to comment on his job status. The discussions will continue this morning. "We're still in negotiations," Commissioner Donald I. Dell said Monday, referring to the terms of Evans' departure. He would not comment further. Sources close to the commissioners said Evans was asked to resign June 27 during a private meeting.
NEWS
May 24, 2000
GEORGE G. BALOG is not the first or last bureaucrat whose bullying was tolerated because he produced results. But his 12-year reign of vindictiveness over Baltimore's public works department makes his punishment by a federal jury well-justified. Yet the finding against Mr. Balog and a top aide should be read in the narrow context of the case. They indeed "maliciously, wantonly and oppressively" retaliated against underlings who complained about contract irregularities. But a variety of allegations of corruption -- which the U.S. attorney and FBI are investigating -- remain unproven and may never result in prosecution.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.