Advertisement
HomeCollectionsProject Safe Childhood
IN THE NEWS

Project Safe Childhood

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
By Don Markus, The Baltimore Sun | May 13, 2011
Maryland U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein praised Friday the success of a five-year collaborative effort among federal and state law enforcement agencies to fight online child pornography. While the number of online child pornography cases is on the rise — 36 already in the current fiscal year, the same as the entire 2009-2010 fiscal year — Rosenstein's office has successfully prosecuted all 131 defendants whose cases have been adjudicated. Of those who have been convicted or pleaded guilty, 25 have received at least 15 years in prison.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
AEGIS STAFF REPORT | September 10, 2013
A 31-year-old Port Deposit man was sentenced last week to 12 years in federal prison for possessing child pornography. Michael Dean Ragan Jr.'s prison term will be followed by 35 years of supervised release and he will be required to register as a sex offender in the place where he lives, where he works and where goes to school, under the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act, according to the sentence imposed Sept. 4 by U.S. District Judge Ellen L. Hollander in Federal District Court in Baltimore.
Advertisement
NEWS
By Kevin Rector, The Baltimore Sun | October 9, 2012
A 25-year-old Gambrills man was sentenced Tuesday to eight years in prison for possession of child pornography, including images depicting "sadistic and violent conduct" toward children, according to prosecutors. Robert Jay Hudson II, who pleaded guilty to the charge in July, will also have to serve 40 years of supervised release after his incarceration and be registered as a sex offender wherever he lives, works or attends school, the office of Maryland U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein said.
EXPLORE
AEGIS STAFF REPORT | June 5, 2013
A Port Deposit man pleaded guilty Tuesday to federal charges of possessing child pornography. According to the plea agreement, on January 30, 2011, police seized a laptop computer, desktop computer, camera, hard drive and other digital media from Michael Dean Ragan Jr., 30, during a search in an unrelated counterfeit currency investigation, according to a news release from the Maryland U.S. Attorney's Office. Ragan later pleaded guilty to state counterfeit charges. A subsequent forensic examination of the items seized during the search found approximately 335 images and 17 videos of minors, including prepubescent minors, engaged in sexually explicit conduct, including acts of sadism, masochism of other depictions of violence.
NEWS
By Nick Madigan, The Baltimore Sun | March 4, 2011
A federal grand jury has indicted a 69-year-old Easton man on charges of production and possession of child pornography. The indictment was returned against Paul Henry Brown last month. In an appearance before a federal judge on March 2, Brown was ordered held pending trial and state charges were dismissed. In a statement released by his office, Rod J. Rosenstein, the U.S. attorney for Maryland, said Brown was alleged to have sexually exploited minors to produce pornography. The two-count indictment says that beginning in 2009, Brown coerced two young girls to "engage in sexually explicit conduct" that he photographed, and that he videotaped a girl having sexual intercourse with "an adult male," although it was unclear from the indictment whether that man is the defendant.
EXPLORE
AEGIS STAFF REPORT | June 5, 2013
A Port Deposit man pleaded guilty Tuesday to federal charges of possessing child pornography. According to the plea agreement, on January 30, 2011, police seized a laptop computer, desktop computer, camera, hard drive and other digital media from Michael Dean Ragan Jr., 30, during a search in an unrelated counterfeit currency investigation, according to a news release from the Maryland U.S. Attorney's Office. Ragan later pleaded guilty to state counterfeit charges. A subsequent forensic examination of the items seized during the search found approximately 335 images and 17 videos of minors, including prepubescent minors, engaged in sexually explicit conduct, including acts of sadism, masochism of other depictions of violence.
NEWS
AEGIS STAFF REPORT | September 10, 2013
A 31-year-old Port Deposit man was sentenced last week to 12 years in federal prison for possessing child pornography. Michael Dean Ragan Jr.'s prison term will be followed by 35 years of supervised release and he will be required to register as a sex offender in the place where he lives, where he works and where goes to school, under the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act, according to the sentence imposed Sept. 4 by U.S. District Judge Ellen L. Hollander in Federal District Court in Baltimore.
NEWS
By Stephen Kiehl | April 26, 2008
A Baltimore man who possessed more than 5,000 images of child pornography and six movies of young children was sentenced yesterday to 14 years in prison for distributing child pornography by computer, federal officials announced. Charles Christopher Furth, 46, made contact with an undercover U.S. Postal Service inspector in March 2006 and e-mailed the inspector videos of adult men having sex with young girls, officials said. Furth asked the inspector to send him a videotape of pornography involving four minors, ages 9 to 11, and mailed the inspector a check to cover shipping costs.
NEWS
By Tricia Bishop and Tricia Bishop,tricia.bishop@baltsun.com | November 7, 2008
Sarah E. Ellison, a 31-year-old woman who ran a day care center at her Fort Meade home, was indicted by a federal grand jury yesterday on charges that she repeatedly molested a 14-year-old boy. Ellison is the first Maryland woman indicted for sexual abuse of a minor under the two-year-old Project Safe Childhood Program, a partnership among state, local and federal officials designed to combat sexual exploitation of children. According to the two-count indictment, the boy attended a middle school with Ellison's two stepchildren, whom he considered friends.
EXPLORE
By AEGIS STAFF REPORT | August 5, 2011
A federal judge Friday accepted an earlier sentence deal that will send a Jarrettsville man to prison for 12 years for possessing child pornography that police said included at least 186 videos and more than 650 photographs of numerous naked children and women who were in their homes and unaware they were being filmed. Prosecutors had charged David Earl Jones, 43, with several counts of possessing and manufacturing child pornography. Investigators said some of the images were stored on Jones' work computer at the Edgewood Area of Aberdeen Proving Ground, where he was a civilian employee.
NEWS
By Kevin Rector, The Baltimore Sun | October 9, 2012
A 25-year-old Gambrills man was sentenced Tuesday to eight years in prison for possession of child pornography, including images depicting "sadistic and violent conduct" toward children, according to prosecutors. Robert Jay Hudson II, who pleaded guilty to the charge in July, will also have to serve 40 years of supervised release after his incarceration and be registered as a sex offender wherever he lives, works or attends school, the office of Maryland U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein said.
NEWS
By Don Markus, The Baltimore Sun | May 13, 2011
Maryland U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein praised Friday the success of a five-year collaborative effort among federal and state law enforcement agencies to fight online child pornography. While the number of online child pornography cases is on the rise — 36 already in the current fiscal year, the same as the entire 2009-2010 fiscal year — Rosenstein's office has successfully prosecuted all 131 defendants whose cases have been adjudicated. Of those who have been convicted or pleaded guilty, 25 have received at least 15 years in prison.
NEWS
By Nick Madigan, The Baltimore Sun | March 4, 2011
A federal grand jury has indicted a 69-year-old Easton man on charges of production and possession of child pornography. The indictment was returned against Paul Henry Brown last month. In an appearance before a federal judge on March 2, Brown was ordered held pending trial and state charges were dismissed. In a statement released by his office, Rod J. Rosenstein, the U.S. attorney for Maryland, said Brown was alleged to have sexually exploited minors to produce pornography. The two-count indictment says that beginning in 2009, Brown coerced two young girls to "engage in sexually explicit conduct" that he photographed, and that he videotaped a girl having sexual intercourse with "an adult male," although it was unclear from the indictment whether that man is the defendant.
NEWS
July 12, 2008
Three Baltimore-area men have pleaded guilty in separate cases to child pornography charges, Maryland U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein announced yesterday. Roy Edward Hoover Jr., 37, of Baltimore was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Baltimore to 10 years in prison for sexual exploitation of a minor to produce child pornography. According to his guilty plea, Hoover sexually assaulted a girl in his care for nearly three years, beginning in September 2004, when she was 14. Hoover took digital photographs of the assaults and downloaded them to his computer, according to Rosenstein's office.
NEWS
By Sindya N. Bhanoo and Sindya N. Bhanoo,sun reporter | August 10, 2007
A former Baltimore County gymnastics coach who pleaded guilty to child pornography charges was sentenced to 6 1/2 years in federal prison yesterday in a case prosecutors have called one of Maryland's largest because of the volume of materials possessed by the defendant. Patrick David Bogan will also be required to be on supervised probation upon his release and to register as a sex offender. He will be prohibited from seeking employment that puts him in regular contact with children younger than 18. U.S. District Judge William M. Nickerson denied a request by prosecutors to require Bogan to be on supervised release for life.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.