December 29, 1995
Darwin E. Smith, 69, the former head of Kimberly-Clark Corp., died of a heart attack Tuesday at his vacation home in Florida.He retired in 1992 after 20 years as the leader of the Irving, Texas-based health care and paper products company.A native of Garrett, Ind., he was known for his no-nonsense management style. Soon after becoming chief executive, he closed the executive dining room and once banned corporate titles to help make all employees feel like part of a team.Mr. Smith, a Harvard Law School graduate, transformed Kimberly-Clark from a commodity papermaker into a maker of several products.
August 17, 2006
MIAMI -- Jan Risi has traveled to all corners of the world, searching for the best quality and prices on the ingredients for Subway sandwiches. She buys tuna from Pago Pago in American Samoa, olives in Morocco and tomatoes in California. She has visited slaughterhouses in Iowa and wheat fields in Kansas. It's all part of her efforts to manage the Subway food chain from "seed to sandwich." As president and chief executive of Subway's Independent Purchasing Cooperative, Risi is equally comfortable negotiating with executives in a boardroom and farmers in the field.
March 23, 1997
Once it was a sign of how well bred you were: whether you knew your asparagus fork from your dessert fork. That's surprising when you consider that the fork is the upstart of eating utensils, arriving relatively late on the dining scene. In medieval times, it was used in Europe only as a serving piece. While Italy adopted it for eating during the Renaissance, England really didn't accept the newfangled implement until the second half of the 17th century.We no longer have separate forks for every sort of food; most place settings include only two, a dinner fork and a fork that can be used for salad or dessert.
January 15, 2006
Ladew schedules crafts and stories Education Notes Ladew Topiary Gardens is offering "Nature Stories & Crafts" for children's entertainment and education throughout the winter season. The second session of the series, "Wake Up, Groundhog," will be presented at 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Jan. 25. Admission for one child age 2 to 4 and one adult is $5 for each session. Additional adults must pay regular admission. Participants should bring small blankets to sit on. Reservations are required.
October 2, 2008
A fire caused a half-million dollars in damage when it roared through a storage room in an Annapolis public works building yesterday morning, fire officials said. Shortly before 8 a.m., a malfunctioning light fixture sparked the fire in a second-floor room where lawn mowers, paper products, tires, oil filters and petroleum-based chemicals are stored, Annapolis Fire Department spokesman Lt. John Bowes said. More than three dozen firefighters from the city, Anne Arundel County and Naval Academy fire departments worked to contain the two-alarm fire as public works employees hastened to move garbage trucks from the building in the 900 block of Spa Road, Bowes said.
February 21, 1995
A man who pretended to be a prospective car buyer at an Ellicott City car dealership drove off the lot while the salesman VTC discussed the vehicle's features Saturday, Howard County police said.According to police, a salesman at Acura West in the 9500 block of U.S. 40 started a car's engine and opened the hood to show a man the car's parts about 6 p.m.The man drove off as soon as the salesman closed the car's hood, police said. He was last seen driving the stolen car east on U.S. 40, police said.
December 14, 1994
Police and fire officials are investigating three fires set in the past six weeks at Randallstown High School -- but it remained unclear whether the fires were related.Paper that was set ablaze started each of the fires -- Nov. 2, Nov. 3 and Monday -- at the school in the 4000 block of Offutt Road, said Battalion Chief Patrick T. Kelly, a Fire Department spokesman."Our investigators right now are trying to determine if they're related," he said. "Evidently if they are all being done at the same school, you'd think they'd have some tie to that school.
October 6, 2002
Harold N. Nathanson, an aluminum siding salesman who opened Aluminum Products, a home improvement business, died Tuesday of Parkinson's disease at the Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care. The Pikesville resident was 80. Mr. Nathanson grew up in the Forest Park section of Baltimore and graduated from Forest Park High School in 1940. He earned several ribbons for his Army service in New Guinea during World War II as a member of the 126th Signal Service Company. After returning to Baltimore, he sold aluminum siding and paper products until opening his home improvement business, Aluminum Products, on West Madison Street in 1954.
April 5, 2005
The Rev. Elmer S. Bradley Sr., a Baptist minister and retired machinist, died of heart failure Sunday at his home in Rogersville, Tenn. The former Lansdowne resident was 79. Mr. Bradley was born and raised in Greenville, Tenn., and during World War II served as a combat infantryman in Gen. George S. Patton's 3rd Army, attaining the rank of sergeant. After the war, Mr. Bradley moved to Ellicott City and took a job as a machinist at Bartgis Bros. Co. of Ilchester, now Simkin Industries, manufacturers of paper products.
January 5, 2007
Patrick Waldron Cooper, founder and president of a Florida restaurant supply company and a former Govans resident, died of melanoma Saturday at his home in Sugarloaf Key, Fla. He was 52. Mr. Cooper was born in Baltimore and raised on Orkney Road in Govans. He was a 1972 graduate of Polytechnic Institute and studied business at what is now Towson University. Beginning in the 1970s, Mr. Cooper worked summers as a waiter in Ocean City and winters in the Florida Keys. "He was a waiter at the Embers and the Saute Cafe in Ocean City, and at the Cracked Conch in Marathon, Fla.," said a sister, Margaret "Mike" Cooper Berman of Stoneleigh.