Advertisement
HomeCollectionsMonte Barrett
IN THE NEWS

Monte Barrett

FIND MORE STORIES ABOUT:
FEATURED ARTICLES
SPORTS
By Lem Satterfield and Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF | August 13, 2005
Hasim Rahman has been in the spotlight before, but somehow he has always ended up slipping back into the shadows. This time, though, could be different. Heading into tonight's World Boxing Council interim heavyweight title fight with Monte Barrett in Chicago, the Baltimore native appears more focused, having shed distractions and pounds that once dragged him down. "A man that don't know his history is bound to repeat it. And I'm here to tell you that I've been there, done that. I know clearly what happened and what I did wrong," Rahman said last month at his home - and training base - in Las Vegas.
ARTICLES BY DATE
SPORTS
By LEM SATTERFIELD and LEM SATTERFIELD,SUN REPORTER | November 10, 2005
Although Baltimore native Hasim Rahman turned 33 on Monday, he didn't receive perhaps his best birthday present until yesterday. The gift came wrapped in the form of Rahman's second World Boxing Council heavyweight title belt. But unlike in 2001, when he had to travel to South Africa and knock out Lennox Lewis for the right to be called undisputed heavyweight champion, Rahman received the news at about 6 a.m. while in his Las Vegas home. Former WBC champ Vitali Klitschko, citing the lengthy recovery from an operation to repair a knee injury early Tuesday morning, announced his retirement yesterday, relinquishing his crown to Rahman.
Advertisement
SPORTS
By Lem Satterfield and Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF | July 8, 2005
Disregarding the possibility that he might be stripped of his World Boxing Council title and disregarding challenges to his manhood, Ukrainian heavyweight Vitali Klitschko was expected to finalize a contract last night to fight Calvin Brock in September instead of higher-ranked contenders Hasim Rahman or Monte Barrett. WBC president Jose Sulaiman was diplomatic in an interview yesterday, but he encouraged Klitschko to instead fight the winner of the Aug. 13 interim championship bout in Chicago between Rahman and Barrett.
SPORTS
By Lem Satterfield and Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF | August 18, 2005
Bob Arum of Top Rank Promotions, a surprise, late entry into the negotiations, out-bid archrival Don King yesterday for the right to stage the World Boxing Council heavyweight title bout between champion Vitali Klitschko and Baltimore native Hasim Rahman. The fight will be held in Las Vegas, "probably in November," Arum said. Top Rank president Todd duBoef acted on behalf of Arum, who is vacationing in Paris. DuBoef bid $12.1 million to King's $11 million. Klitschko's company, K2, bid $10.7 million, compared to $6.7 million for little-known Bob Hitz, duBoef said.
SPORTS
By Lem Satterfield and Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF | August 11, 2005
CHICAGO -- Trainer Harold "The Shadow" Knight questioned the opposition Hasim Rahman has faced during his current winning streak, and Knight's assistant, Donnie Cassett, promised Rahman will "get knocked out." But neither Knight nor Cassett will be in the ring with Rahman (40-5-1, 33 knockouts) Saturday night when he meets Monte Barrett (31-3, 17 KOs) of New York City for the World Boxing Council's interim title. "Monte's my man. I have nothing bad to say about him. But those other two clowns made it personal," Rahman, a Baltimore native, said at yesterday's news conference promoting the Showtime pay-per-view fight at the United Center.
SPORTS
By Lem Satterfield and Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF | April 18, 2005
The off-again, on-again World Boxing Council heavyweight title fight between champion Vitali Klitschko and No. 1 contender Hasim Rahman is off again due to a Klitschko back injury that will require surgery Wednesday. A thigh injury set back Klitschko's original defense against Rahman from April 30 to July 23. Now, Klitschko apparently won't be healthy until September, pending results of the operation in Los Angeles. "The fight probably won't happen until September, but we won't know for sure until he comes out" of surgery, said Klitschko's adviser, Shelly Finkel.
SPORTS
By LEM SATTERFIELD and LEM SATTERFIELD,SUN REPORTER | November 10, 2005
Although Baltimore native Hasim Rahman turned 33 on Monday, he didn't receive perhaps his best birthday present until yesterday. The gift came wrapped in the form of Rahman's second World Boxing Council heavyweight title belt. But unlike in 2001, when he had to travel to South Africa and knock out Lennox Lewis for the right to be called undisputed heavyweight champion, Rahman received the news at about 6 a.m. while in his Las Vegas home. Former WBC champ Vitali Klitschko, citing the lengthy recovery from an operation to repair a knee injury early Tuesday morning, announced his retirement yesterday, relinquishing his crown to Rahman.
SPORTS
By Lem Satterfield and Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF | June 2, 2005
Local boxing promoter Scott Wagner, Ravens senior director of business development Mark Burdett and Greg Smith of the Maryland Stadium Authority will meet tomorrow to finalize a bid to promoter Don King to bring Hasim Rahman's Aug. 13 World Boxing Council interim title fight to M&T Bank Stadium. Matchmaker Eric Botjer of Don King Productions told The Sun yesterday that he and King's vice president of boxing operations and public relations, Bobby Goodman, have been in talks with Wagner "for about a month" about bringing Baltimore native Rahman (40-5-1, 33 knockouts)
SPORTS
By Lem Satterfield and Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF | August 18, 2005
Bob Arum of Top Rank Promotions, a surprise, late entry into the negotiations, out-bid archrival Don King yesterday for the right to stage the World Boxing Council heavyweight title bout between champion Vitali Klitschko and Baltimore native Hasim Rahman. The fight will be held in Las Vegas, "probably in November," Arum said. Top Rank president Todd duBoef acted on behalf of Arum, who is vacationing in Paris. DuBoef bid $12.1 million to King's $11 million. Klitschko's company, K2, bid $10.7 million, compared to $6.7 million for little-known Bob Hitz, duBoef said.
SPORTS
By Lem Satterfield and Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF | August 14, 2005
CHICAGO - Former world heavyweight champion Oliver McCall, a 40-year-old who once split victories with Lennox Lewis, stopped Polish heavyweight Przemyslaw Saleta in the fourth round of their scheduled 10-round bout at the United Center last night. McCall's victory came on the undercard of a main event featuring Baltimore native Hasim Rahman (40-5-1, 33 KOs) against Monte Barrett (31-3, 17 KOs) for the World Boxing Council's interim heavyweight title, whose winner will get a shot at WBC champion Vitali Klitschko in December.
SPORTS
By Lem Satterfield and Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF | August 14, 2005
CHICAGO - Former world heavyweight champion Oliver McCall, a 40-year-old who once split victories with Lennox Lewis, stopped Polish heavyweight Przemyslaw Saleta in the fourth round of their scheduled 10-round bout at the United Center last night. McCall's victory came on the undercard of a main event featuring Baltimore native Hasim Rahman (40-5-1, 33 KOs) against Monte Barrett (31-3, 17 KOs) for the World Boxing Council's interim heavyweight title, whose winner will get a shot at WBC champion Vitali Klitschko in December.
SPORTS
By Lem Satterfield and Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF | August 13, 2005
Hasim Rahman has been in the spotlight before, but somehow he has always ended up slipping back into the shadows. This time, though, could be different. Heading into tonight's World Boxing Council interim heavyweight title fight with Monte Barrett in Chicago, the Baltimore native appears more focused, having shed distractions and pounds that once dragged him down. "A man that don't know his history is bound to repeat it. And I'm here to tell you that I've been there, done that. I know clearly what happened and what I did wrong," Rahman said last month at his home - and training base - in Las Vegas.
SPORTS
By Lem Satterfield and Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF | August 11, 2005
CHICAGO -- Trainer Harold "The Shadow" Knight questioned the opposition Hasim Rahman has faced during his current winning streak, and Knight's assistant, Donnie Cassett, promised Rahman will "get knocked out." But neither Knight nor Cassett will be in the ring with Rahman (40-5-1, 33 knockouts) Saturday night when he meets Monte Barrett (31-3, 17 KOs) of New York City for the World Boxing Council's interim title. "Monte's my man. I have nothing bad to say about him. But those other two clowns made it personal," Rahman, a Baltimore native, said at yesterday's news conference promoting the Showtime pay-per-view fight at the United Center.
SPORTS
By Lem Satterfield and Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF | July 8, 2005
Disregarding the possibility that he might be stripped of his World Boxing Council title and disregarding challenges to his manhood, Ukrainian heavyweight Vitali Klitschko was expected to finalize a contract last night to fight Calvin Brock in September instead of higher-ranked contenders Hasim Rahman or Monte Barrett. WBC president Jose Sulaiman was diplomatic in an interview yesterday, but he encouraged Klitschko to instead fight the winner of the Aug. 13 interim championship bout in Chicago between Rahman and Barrett.
SPORTS
By Lem Satterfield and Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF | June 2, 2005
Local boxing promoter Scott Wagner, Ravens senior director of business development Mark Burdett and Greg Smith of the Maryland Stadium Authority will meet tomorrow to finalize a bid to promoter Don King to bring Hasim Rahman's Aug. 13 World Boxing Council interim title fight to M&T Bank Stadium. Matchmaker Eric Botjer of Don King Productions told The Sun yesterday that he and King's vice president of boxing operations and public relations, Bobby Goodman, have been in talks with Wagner "for about a month" about bringing Baltimore native Rahman (40-5-1, 33 knockouts)
SPORTS
By Lem Satterfield and Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF | April 18, 2005
The off-again, on-again World Boxing Council heavyweight title fight between champion Vitali Klitschko and No. 1 contender Hasim Rahman is off again due to a Klitschko back injury that will require surgery Wednesday. A thigh injury set back Klitschko's original defense against Rahman from April 30 to July 23. Now, Klitschko apparently won't be healthy until September, pending results of the operation in Los Angeles. "The fight probably won't happen until September, but we won't know for sure until he comes out" of surgery, said Klitschko's adviser, Shelly Finkel.
SPORTS
By Lem Satterfield and Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF | June 8, 2005
WASHINGTON - Mike Tyson's non-title fight with Kevin McBride on Saturday at MCI Center is the first in a three-bout deal that targets World Boxing Council champion Vitali Klitschko, said Darryl A. Stuckey, one of the investors who facilitated the bout. "We signed at least a three-fight deal trying to help Mike Tyson get back on the road to the heavyweight championship," said Stuckey, whose real estate company provided financial support to promoter Marty Wynn, as did former Riddick Bowe manager Rock Newman and PMG Management, whose president is the Orlando Magic's Steve Francis.
SPORTS
By Lem Satterfield and Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF | May 5, 2005
Organization president Jose Sulaiman has declared that a July 23 heavyweight bout between top contender Hasim Rahman of Baltimore and No. 2 Monte Barrett of Queens, N.Y., is for the World Boxing Council's interim title. The winner will earn a shot at reigning WBC champion Vitali Klitschko this fall, Rahman said last night. "Klitschko would be champion until he fights the winner," Sulaiman told The Sun in an earlier report. Promoter Don King could pair Rahman-Barrett, slated for New York's Madison Square Garden, with a heavyweight unification bout between International Boxing Federation king Chris Byrd (38-2-1, 20 KOs)
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.