Advertisement
HomeCollectionsManslaughter Charge
IN THE NEWS

Manslaughter Charge

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
By Michael J. Clark and Michael J. Clark,Howard County Bureau of The Sun | August 29, 1991
By paying a $45 fine for reckless driving, a Baltimore man has avoided an auto manslaughter charge in an accident in which a young woman was killed.A Howard County Circuit Court judge dismissed yesterday the auto manslaughter charge against Garrick Wesley, 24, of the 600 block of Allendale Street. If he had been convicted on that charge, Mr. Wesley could have been sentenced to 10 years in prison.Citing appellate court rulings, Judge Cornelius F. Sybert Jr. ruled it would be double jeopardy to try Mr. Wesley for auto manslaughter because he paid a fine for reckless driving in the accident.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
By Colin Campbell and The Baltimore Sun | September 22, 2014
A 46-year-old Laurel man has been charged with killing his 68-year-old father in a fight at their home Sunday morning, Howard County police said. Nandal Gupta and his son, Deepak, got into an argument that turned physical, police said, causing Nandal to experience chest pains. Emergency responders took him from the home in the 9500 block of Washington Ave. to Laurel Regional Hospital, where he died at 9:35 a.m. Deepak Gupta has been arrested and charged with second-degree murder, manslaughter and first- and second-degree assault, police said.
Advertisement
NEWS
By Alan J. Craver and Alan J. Craver,Sun Staff Writer | August 25, 1994
A Howard County jury convicted an Ellicott City man yesterday of reckless endangerment in the chloroform-inhalation death of his 20-year-old girlfriend in September.But the jury of seven women and five men deadlocked on a more serious charge of manslaughter and acquitted Bowers of a charge of inhaling harmful substances.The jury deliberated nearly six hours before reaching its verdict against Melvin Robert Bowers, 51, after a three-day trial in Howard Circuit Court.Senior Assistant State's Attorney Joseph Murtha said he will meet with his supervisors and the family of Geneva Marie Hodge, the victim, to determine if Bowers will be tried again on the manslaughter charge.
NEWS
By Michael Dresser | March 14, 2014
The House of Delegates approved a bill Friday that would allow a judge to give up to a year's sentence to a driver who negligently kills or seriously injures someone while texting or speaking on a hand-held cellphone. The 111-25 vote on the legislation known as Jake's Law sends the measure to the Senate. The bill was named after 5-year-old Jake Owen, who was killed in a crash in 2011 caused by a driver police found to have been using a cell phone when he struck Jake's family's car. The driver was acquitted of reckless driving and vehicular manslaughter and convicted of traffic charges that led to a $1,000 fine.
NEWS
By Dennis O'Brien and Dennis O'Brien,SUN STAFF | October 8, 1996
An Anne Arundel Circuit Court jury acquitted a 36-year-old Glen Burnie man of murder yesterday in a shooting outside a Ritchie Highway tavern, but deadlocked on a manslaughter charge, meaning it is likely he will be retried on that charge.Michael W. Lovelace of the 8100 block of Harold Court was released on bond yesterday after he was cleared of murder charges in the April 1 shooting death of George Joseph Miller, 48.But John LeCornu, the assistant state's attorney who prosecuted the case, said he probably would retry Lovelace on the manslaughter charge and a handgun violation, but first must consult with State's Attorney Frank R. Weathersbee.
NEWS
By Kate Shatzkin and Kate Shatzkin,SUN STAFF Sun staff writer Michael James contributed to this article | March 20, 1996
A Baltimore grand jury yesterday indicted a city police sergeant on a manslaughter charge in the Feb. 7 fatal shooting of a 22-year-old man during a traffic stop.Sgt. Stephen R. Pagotto, a 15-year-veteran of the force, surrendered to detectives after the indictment was handed up shortly before 3 p.m. yesterday.If convicted, he could face a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.Sam Ringgold, chief spokesman for the department, said a hearing today would determine whether Sergeant Pagotto would be suspended with or without pay, pending the outcome of the charge.
NEWS
By Tim Craig and Tim Craig,SUN STAFF | February 8, 2000
After a mistrial in which 11 of 12 jurors decided Alpna Patel was not guilty of murder, the state's attorney's office has decided to retry the Canadian dentist accused of killing her husband in March. Prosecutors, who will try Patel on charges of second-degree murder and manslaughter, made their request yesterday morning to Circuit Judge David Mitchell. The judge set June 5 for the new trial. The first trial ended Friday with a deadlocked jury when the lone male juror held out for a guilty verdict on the manslaughter charge.
NEWS
December 1, 1995
The criminal charge for which actor Charles "Roc" Dutton had been jailed was incorrectly reported in the Nov. 27 Today section. He was jailed on a manslaughter charge.The Sun regrets the error.
NEWS
By Jackie Powder and Jackie Powder,Staff writer | October 6, 1991
A 24-year-old Baltimore man who avoided a charge of auto manslaughter by paying a $45 traffic citation was sentenced Friday to four yearsin jail by a Circuit Court judge for the less serious charge of autotheft.Judge Cornelius F. Sybert Jr. dismissed the auto manslaughter charge against Garrick Wesley in August, ruling that it would be double jeopardy to try Wesley on the manslaughter charge after he hadpaid a fine for a lesser, related charge of reckless driving.Wesley was driving a stolen 1987 Chevrolet Spectrum in a June 13,1990, accident that killed 23-year-old Julie Brown, who was riding in the car's passenger seat.
NEWS
By Sheridan Lyons and Sheridan Lyons,Baltimore County Bureau of The Sun gRB | September 19, 1991
A Baltimore County Circuit Court judge ruled yesterday that prosecutors may resurrect some charges against a Stevensville man whose conviction for automobile manslaughter was overturned because he had paid a $35 traffic fine.But Judge John Grason Turnbull II said John Charles Glaser may not be tried again on the manslaughter charge, citing a Maryland Court of Special Appeals ruling in the case in May.The appeals court found that Mr. Glaser had admitted guilt by paying a fine for driving the wrong way on the Beltway on June 30, 1989.
NEWS
By Carrie Wells, The Baltimore Sun | May 8, 2013
The commander of the Navy unit that included two sailors who drowned at Aberdeen Proving Ground in February has been relieved of his duties, the Navy said Wednesday. The Navy said Cmdr. Michael Runkle, who led the Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit 2, was relieved because of a "loss of confidence in his ability to command. " Diver 1st Class James Reyher, 28, of Caldwell, Ohio, and Diver 2nd Class Ryan Harris, 23, of Gladstone, Mo., died Feb. 26 during a training exercise at a testing facility at Aberdeen known as the Super Pond.
NEWS
By Jessica Anderson, The Baltimore Sun | April 12, 2013
Baltimore County prosecutors will not be allowed to use information provided by James D. Laboard's lawyer on the night that the off-duty police officer allegedly killed a Randallstown teenager, a judge ruled Friday. During a criminal motions hearing, Circuit Judge Jan Marshall Alexander ruled that the lawyer's decision to talk to detectives violated attorney-client confidentiality. Prosecutors said the ruling would have little effect on the case. Laboard, a Baltimore County police officer, is charged with two counts of manslaughter in the death of 17-year-old Christopher Brown.
NEWS
By Jessica Anderson, The Baltimore Sun | August 22, 2012
A Cockeysville woman was charged in her mother's January death after authorities found the 91-year-old woman on a toilet, where she had been left for two days. A Baltimore County grand jury on Aug. 15 indicted Sharon Caslow, 65, for manslaughter for leaving her mother in a bathroom in their home in the 1000 block of Hidden Moss Drive. Medics were called to the home Jan. 17, where they found Audrey Caslow seated on a toilet and determined that she had been there for two days, police said.
NEWS
By Jessica Anderson, The Baltimore Sun | June 28, 2012
Only James D. Laboard knows his intentions the night Baltimore County police said the off-duty officer chased a group of teens who had thrown a rock at his home. But as authorities considered charges in the ensuing death of Christopher Brown, they had to try to discern Laboard's intentions. Laboard was charged with two counts of manslaughter — one involuntary — in the asphyxiation death of the Randallstown High School teen; either count could carry a 10-year sentence. The victim's mother expressed outrage that the officer isn't facing more severe charges, alleging that the officer received preferential treatment and calling for an outside investigation.
NEWS
By Jessica Anderson and Mary Gail Hare, The Baltimore Sun | June 27, 2012
A Baltimore County police officer was indicted Wednesday in the death of a Randallstown teen, but the charges drew criticism from the boy's mother and the community, who continued calls for an outside investigation. James D. Laboard, a nine-year veteran, faces charges of voluntary and involuntary manslaughter in the asphyxiation death of 17-year-old Christopher Brown, whom police said he chased after a group of teens threw a rock at his front door on June 13. Each count carries a maximum of 10 years in prison.
NEWS
By Tricia Bishop, The Baltimore Sun | June 13, 2011
After years of watching Umar Burley beat various gun and drug charges, prosecutors have won a conviction in U.S. District Court with a 15-year prison term against the Baltimore drug dealer — part of a one-two-punch strategy between state and federal officials. But they could have gone for more, one local attorney said, raising questions about whether the "career offender" — who allegedly killed a police officer's father in a car crash last year — actually got off easy. "What I would expect to see, if this guy were as big of a head as he sounds, is a … plea to a charge with a maximum penalty of life," said Andrew White, a former federal prosecutor who is now in private practice.
NEWS
By Peter Hermann and Peter Hermann,Sun Staff Writer | May 1, 1994
A 20-year-old man being held on a probation violation charge is accused of escaping from the city's Central District police lockup yesterday by crawling through a ceiling duct and kicking out a wall, police said.Officer Robert W. Weinhold Jr., a police spokesman, said Aaron Bryan Roberts is accused of diverting the attention of a guard to get out of the lockup in the 500 block of E. Baltimore St., near police headquarters.City police arrested Mr. Roberts Friday on a charge that heviolated his probation stemming from his recent release from jail on a manslaughter charge.
NEWS
By Michael J. Clark and Michael J. Clark,Howard County Bureau of The Sun | August 31, 1991
A Baltimore County delegate wants to change the state motor vehicle law to prevent motorists from avoiding prosecution for more serious traffic offenses by paying fines for lesser, related offenses.Delegate Leon Albin, D-Baltimore County, said this week that he plans to pre-file legislation to get around the double jeopardy issue that on Wednesday prompted a Howard County Circuit Court judge to dismiss an auto manslaughter charge in the death of a young woman because the driver had paid a $45 fine for reckless driving in the same accident.
SPORTS
By Matt Vensel, The Baltimore Sun | May 17, 2011
Orioles pitcher Alfredo Simon, accused of shooting and killing a 25-year-old man in his native Dominican Republic during New Year's celebrations, will go to trial, a judge has ruled, according to an Associated Press report out of the Dominican Republic. Simon, 30, was in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, for Monday's hearing. He was back in the United States later Monday and started for Double-A Bowie on Tuesday night in Richmond, Va. Dinora Diloné, an attorney for Simon, maintains that his client is innocent in the shooting that killed Michael Castillo Almonte.
SPORTS
By Nick Madigan and Dan Connolly, The Baltimore Sun | January 3, 2011
Accompanied by his mother and a lawyer, Orioles reliever Alfredo Simon, suspected of killing a man during a New Year's Eve party, surrendered Monday to police in the Dominican Republic and said the shooting had been an accident. Police said Simon, in blue jeans and a dark purple shirt, handed over a gun used in the incident, which resulted in the death of a 25-year-old man and the wounding of his 17-year-old half brother. Authorities said Simon fled after the 4 a.m. shootings Saturday and later they issued an arrest warrant for him. A spokesman for the National Police, Lt. Gonzalez Mateo, told The Baltimore Sun that the case remained under investigation and that any possible charges would have to await the detectives' conclusion.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.