Advertisement
HomeCollectionsKerosene Heater
IN THE NEWS

Kerosene Heater

NEWS
March 28, 1996
Kerosene space heater explodes in farmhouseA kerosene space heater exploded in a Scaggsville farmhouse yesterday afternoon, causing severe smoke and fire damage, Howard County fire officials said.A resident, who was not identified yesterday by fire officials, complained about chest pains after the incident, but no serious injuries were reported. The explosion is under investigation, said Lt. Michael Baker, a fire spokesman for Howard County.The incident was reported at about 1: 23 p.m., when firefighters were called to the farm home in the 11400 block of Scaggsville Road.
Advertisement
NEWS
January 13, 1997
Nine Carroll County residents were hospitalized yesterday after a faulty -- and illegal -- kerosene space heater sent carbon monoxide wafting through their apartment building, leaving some gasping for air, authorities said.One of the nine had a history of asthma and was treated at Maryland Shock Trauma Center.Kerosene heaters are illegal in commercial structures or buildings with three or more apartments. But fire officials say they found a heater in the Union Bridge apartment, apparently installed to keep pipes from freezing.
NEWS
December 29, 1999
FiresHampstead: Firefighters responded at 3: 42 a.m. Monday to a truck fire in the 800 block of Gaming Square. Units were out 41 minutes.Manchester: Firefighters responded at 9: 28 a.m. Sunday to a fire alarm in the 1300 block of Bachman's Valley Road. Units were out 31 minutes.Lineboro: Firefighters responded at 4: 37 p.m. Saturday to a house fire in the 9000 block of Sarasen Drive, Baltimore County. Units were out more than 1 1/2 hours.Manchester: Firefighters responded at 9: 30 a.m. Saturday to a fire alarm in the 1300 block of Bachman's Valley Road.
NEWS
November 18, 1991
A 5-year-old Northwest Baltimore girl was killed Saturday night when an illegal kerosene heater placed near her bed ignited a pile of clothing, authorities said yesterday.Firefighters found the body of Talia A. Boyd on the floor near her bed on the third floor of her family's home in the 3000 block of Chelsea Terrace.She apparently died of smoke inhalation, officials said.Talia's mother, Brenda Boyd, was the only other person in the house and escaped without injury when the one-alarm fire broke out shortly past 11 p.m.Firefighters extinguished the blaze in minutes, and it caused only about $5,000 in damage, officials said.
NEWS
BY A SUN STAFF WRITER | February 3, 2000
A two-alarm fire destroyed a modest Westminster ranch house yesterday as firefighters from eight volunteer companies overcame heavy flames, thick smoke and snow-covered hydrants to control the blaze in about 40 minutes, fire officials said. The occupants of the house in the first block of S. Center St. were not home when the fire broke out at 2: 06 p.m., apparently started by a faulty kerosene heater in the basement, said Jay Wallace, assistant chief of Westminster Fire Engine & Hose Company No. 1. Wallace said heavy flames and smoke were compounded by first reports from neighbors that someone might be trapped in the vinyl-sided wood and masonry house.
NEWS
By Bill Talbott and Bill Talbott,Sun Staff Writer | March 3, 1995
Less than 200 gallons of fuel oil, used to heat a warehouse at Green Way Lawns in the first block of E. George St., spilled after a seam in a 275-gallon tank ruptured Wednesday.Steve Iles, company owner, said he discovered the leak about 6 p.m. as the oil ran across the parking lot, a distance of about 20 feet from the tank. Mr. Iles said he spread an absorbent in the path of the oil and called 911.Engines from Westminster and Reese responded and blocked the oil from flowing into the sewer system and a nearby stream.
NEWS
Tim Swift, The Baltimore Sun | November 25, 2012
A Maryland man is in critical condition after a house fire in Oxon Hill that caused more than $50,000 in damage.  A Prince George's County fire official says firefighters were called to a home in the 5100 block of Boulder Drive around 5:30 a.m. Sunday. Firefighters evacuated an approximately 50-year-old man from the home. He was taken to the hospital with burns smoke inhalation injuries.  The man's wife was also taken to the hospital with symptoms of smoke inhalation. Officials say she is in fair condition.  Investigators believe the cause of the fire may be a kerosene space heater.
NEWS
December 7, 1992
Weekend fire destroys Jessup 'home'A makeshift home for two homeless men in Jessup, complete with a tub and a stove, was destroyed during a fire early Friday morning, a fire and rescue services spokesman said.At about 4:30 a.m. Friday, someone reported a brush fire in a wooded area near Dorsey Run Road, said Battalion Chief Donald R. Howell, the county's fire and rescue services spokesman.But when firefighters got there, they learned the fire was actually on Rappahannock Avenue, 300 feet down a hill in the woods across from the Patuxent Institution, he said.
NEWS
February 15, 1995
Medical officials confirmed yesterday the identity of a man killed in an Elkridge fire, but fire officials said they were still uncertain what caused the fatal incident.Howard County police said John Jacobs, 46, of Florida was identified by his fingerprints. Mr. Jacobs' body was burned beyond recognition during a fire late Friday afternoon in the 5800 block of Race Road.Deputy Chief State Fire Marshal Allen L. Ward said investigators are trying to determine whether the fire was started by arson or by accident.
NEWS
By William B. Talbott and Joe Nawrozki and William B. Talbott and Joe Nawrozki,Staff Writers | April 20, 1992
A 71-year-old woman died and her husband was critically burned early today when a one-alarm fire -- apparently started by a kerosene space heater -- swept up the stairway of their southwest Baltimore rowhouse.The victim was pronounced dead on the scene, probably from smoke inhalation, investigators said. Her body was removed to the state Medical Examiner's Office in Baltimore, where an autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.The woman's 76-year-old husband suffered third-degree burns on his upper body and was listed in critical condition at the Francis Scott Key Medical Center's burn unit, spokeswoman Sandy Rachert said.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.