Advertisement
HomeCollectionsHeater
IN THE NEWS

Heater

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
By Donna E. Boller and Donna E. Boller,Sun Staff Writer | January 22, 1995
Water heaters and gas furnaces in the Union Village townhouses in Westminster were installed in violation of Carroll's mechanical code 13 years ago and may pose safety hazards, inspectors recently discovered.The heaters and furnaces at the Union Street neighborhood are in tiny closets with inadequate air intakes, county permits and inspections staff members report. The landlord may be ordered to fix the water heater and furnace housings.Officials said gas could build up and explode if the units malfunction, or that improperly installed exhaust pipes may allow carbon monoxide, a deadly colorless, odorless gas, to seep back into the townhouses.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
By Steve Kilar, The Baltimore Sun | March 5, 2013
Officials on Tuesday continued investigating the second round of illnesses in less than a week at a North Baltimore office building but did not quickly find a link between the two bouts. Still, officials overseeing the investigation are confident that the building is safe and have decided it will be open for business on Wednesday. The water heater that was identified as the source of last week's sicknesses — more than 20 people reported headaches, breathing problems and dizziness — was taken offline before the building, part of the Johns Hopkins at Keswick campus, was reopened.
Advertisement
BUSINESS
By Dean Uhler | December 30, 2001
Most people who've owned a house for a while have had to replace a water heater. With an average life of roughly 10 to 15 years, they fail often enough that your turn to put one in is coming. You can forestall that day if you're willing to take the trouble or expense of replacing some parts on it every five or six years. The key part is the anode, a metal rod inside the water heater that serves to prevent the steel tank from rusting. If you know boats, you probably know about anodes - propeller shafts typically have a chunk of zinc clamped onto them as a sacrificial anode to prevent corrosion.
NEWS
By Kevin Rector and Carrie Wells, The Baltimore Sun | February 27, 2013
The Baltimore Health Department said late Wednesday that investigators believe a faulty hot water heater sickened 23 people at the Johns Hopkins at Keswick complex this week. An estimated 600 people were evacuated from the complex Tuesday afternoon after people reported difficulty breathing. Standard checks by emergency officials ruled out exposure to carbon monoxide, explosives, hydrogen sulfide and low oxygen. Investigators said they also were examining the possibility of food contamination.
NEWS
BY A SUN STAFF WRITER | December 11, 1998
A man using a garage near Green Mount Cemetery for shelter died last night when a fire, apparently caused by a kerosene heater, set debris inside the structure ablaze, said a Fire Department official.Lt. Thomas Nosek of Engine Co. 19 in the 1300 block of Guilford Ave. said his unit was returning from a call in the 2700 block of N. Calvert St. about 9: 40 p.m. when the crew noticed smoke and flames coming from a garage in the rear of the 400 block of E. Lafayette Ave.Nosek said that after firefighters forced their way inside the locked garage and put out the flames, they found the severely burned body of a man in a chair.
NEWS
April 12, 1998
An illegal kerosene heater was blamed for a fire that left a 77-year-old man dead and damaged a West Baltimore home early yesterday, the city Fire Department reported.Firefighters responding to a report of a fire in the 2400 block of W. North Ave. found the second floor of the rowhouse ablaze, and the man -- the only occupant -- dead. His name was not divulged, pending notification of relatives.Battalion Chief Hector L. Torres, a Fire Department spokesman, said the blaze was brought under control in minutes and caused minimal damage to adjoining homes.
FEATURES
By ROB KASPER | September 25, 1993
Because I fixed a hot-water heater, I have to take my kid fishing.It happened the other night when a neighbor asked for help relighting the pilot light on her hot-water heater. Fixing the light was a quick job. I had the right tools -- a flashlight and long matches.After checking the hot-water heater's control switch and sniffing around to make sure there weren't any gas fumes lingering in the air, I pulled off a removable panel from the bottom of the water heater.Then I pulled out my matches.
NEWS
By Kate Shatzkin and Marcia Myers and Kate Shatzkin and Marcia Myers,SUN STAFF | September 25, 1996
Baltimore school officials yesterday produced a hot water heater that mysteriously disappeared after an accident that severely burned a first-grader in June, admitting they have known its whereabouts for at least two weeks without alerting the state investigators who sought it.State regulators examined the heater at a Baltimore City schools workshop yesterday after receiving a tip that it was there. They say the equipment vanished from Hazelwood Elementary-Middle School in August after being labeled as evidence in an investigation of the burning of 7-year-old Ashley Moore.
NEWS
May 22, 1995
POLICE LOG* Wilde Lake: 10500 block of Cross Fox: Vandals pried open a laundry room door and damaged a water heater early Thursday, police said.
NEWS
December 15, 1994
POLICE LOGClarksville: 6300 block of Trotter Road: A heater was stolen after someone cut locks off side and front doors to a construction trailer Dec. 9, police said.
NEWS
By Jessica Anderson, The Baltimore Sun | January 15, 2011
Five people were in serious condition after a carbon monoxide leak was reported in Baltimore County, fire officials said. The leak was reported at about 9 a.m. at a residence in the 4100 block of Link Ave. in Nottingham. The victims were taken to an area hospital, a fire dispatcher said. Fire officials believe the toxic gas might have leaked from the hot water heater. jkanderson@baltsun.com
BUSINESS
By Liz F. Kay, The Baltimore Sun | April 18, 2010
Environmentalists and economists alike are hoping Maryland's version of the rebate program known as Cash for Appliances entices residents to invest in super-energy-efficient appliances — boosting the economy while reducing electricity use. The state's version of the federal stimulus-funded program begins Thursday — Earth Day — and it will continue until the $5.4 million has been distributed, which could take several months, depending...
NEWS
February 11, 2010
Officials are blaming a house fire in Pasadena Tuesday night on a portable space heater being too close to combustible furnishings. Firefighters called to a house in the 800 block of Old Mill Road at 9:06 p.m. arrived seven minutes later to find heavy fire in a second-floor bedroom above a garage, Anne Arundel County Battalion Chief Steve Thompson said. No one was injured in the fire, he said. Twenty-nine firefighters brought the blaze under control by 9:42 p.m. He said it appeared that a portable space heater was too close to a bed and curtain.
BUSINESS
By Liz F. Kay | liz.kay@baltsun.com | December 12, 2009
Marylanders who wait until March to switch to certain energy-efficient electric water heaters, refrigerators and clothes washers will be eligible for a federal "cash for appliances" rebate, according to the Maryland Energy Administration. The U.S. Department of Energy approved Maryland's proposal for the energy-efficient appliances rebate program Thursday. The state's share is $5.4 million, paid for by stimulus plan dollars. Under the approved terms, consumers can apply for a $300 rebate after purchasing an electric heat pump water heater, which is more energy-efficient than standard electric water heaters.
ENTERTAINMENT
By Liz Atwood | January 18, 2009
Marc B. Terrill, 47, has been president of The Associated: Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore, the umbrella planning and fundraising organization for Baltimore's Jewish community, for almost six years. A graduate of the University of Florida, he received a master's degree in social work from Yeshiva University in New York. He is a frequent traveler to Israel and Jewish communities around the world. He loves football and lives in Owings Mills with his wife, Diana, and children, Maddie and twins Eli and Samantha.
NEWS
By Nick Madigan and Nick Madigan,Sun Reporter | August 9, 2008
As she does most evenings, Marjorie Harbo put on her pajamas the other night at her home in Essex and settled down on the couch to watch TV with her 2-year-old son, Adam. That's when the carbon monoxide alarm went off. She ran outside with her son. "The Fire Department told me when they came that if the alarm hadn't worked we'd be dead," Harbo said the next day, still shaken from the ordeal. She and Adam appeared not to have been harmed by the fumes. The problem was traced to a faulty, corroded water heater, she said, and a maintenance worker knocked a hole in a wall to help ventilate the area and prevent a recurrence.
NEWS
January 15, 1998
PoliceHampstead: A Fairmount Avenue resident told police that a water heater was stolen from a junked trailer outside his home between 3 p.m. Saturday and 7 a.m. Monday. The loss was estimated at $164.Pub Date: 1/15/98
NEWS
February 9, 1995
FIRE* Manchester: Manchester and Hampstead responded to a fire alarm in a building in the 2300 block of Hanover Pike at 7:27 p.m. Tuesday. Crews were out for 35 minutes.* Melrose: Manchester was dispatched to a kerosene heater fire in the 1900 block of Bachman Valley Road at 6:54 p.m. Tuesday. Crews were out for 30 minutes.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.