Advertisement
HomeCollectionsGuilty Plea
IN THE NEWS

Guilty Plea

NEWS
August 1, 2009
A 16-year-old boy who has admitted that he took part in the firebombing of a Piney Orchard townhouse that was intended as retaliation for the homicide of a Crofton teenager was sentenced Friday to serve the remainder of the summer in juvenile detention. Anne Arundel County Juvenile Court Master Cynthia Ferris ordered the boy, whom The Baltimore Sun is not naming because he is a juvenile, held at the Western Maryland Children's Center until Aug. 20. The judge, who also ordered the boy to pay $1,800 in victims' restitution, said she took into account the boy's cooperation with prosecutors and the two months he has already served in detention.
Advertisement
NEWS
By Justin Fenton and Justin Fenton,justin.fenton@baltsun.com | March 31, 2009
A 22-year-old woman accused of starving her infant son to death pleaded guilty Monday afternoon to one count of child abuse resulting in death and will be released from jail in exchange for her cooperation against her co-defendants, who prosecutors say are fellow members of a cult called 1 Mind Ministries. The unusual plea agreement also includes a "process of deprogramming" for Ria Ramkissoon and the promise that charges will be dropped if 2-year-old Javon Thompson is resurrected. Ramkissoon's attorney said his client insisted on the clause, which he believes is a first in American legal history, because she still holds out hope that her son will be brought back to life.
SPORTS
By Bill Ordine and Bill Ordine,bill.ordine@baltsun.com | February 12, 2009
WASHINGTON -Former Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada issued a tearful apology at a news conference in Houston yesterday, hours after he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of misleading Congress regarding his knowledge of steroid use in major league baseball. "I made a mistake, and now I know how serious a mistake I made," Tejada said, according to the Houston Chronicle. "I take responsibility, and I'm very sorry for what happened." Tejada took no questions during the news conference at Minute Maid Park.
NEWS
By FROM SUN NEWS SERVICES | December 10, 2008
Pakistan confirms arrest in India attacks NEW DELHI : A senior Pakistani official confirmed yesterday the arrest of the suspected mastermind behind November's terrorist attacks in Mumbai as Indian authorities publicly identified all the known assailants as young men from Pakistan. After a day of contradictory news reports and official silence, Pakistani Defense Minister Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar acknowledged that Zaki ur-Rehman Lakhvi had "been picked up" during a raid on an alleged militant camp in the Pakistani-controlled portion of Kashmir.
NEWS
November 19, 2008
Two men dead in shootings Two men were fatally shot in separate incidents late Monday and early yesterday in different parts of Baltimore, according to city police. Police yesterday had not identified a man who was found shortly after midnight yesterday in a parked Toyota sedan in the 1100 block of Abbott Court at the Latrobe Homes public housing complex in East Baltimore. He had a gunshot wound to the head and was pronounced dead at Johns Hopkins Hospital at 12:35 a.m. Earlier in the evening, police officers found a wounded man in the 500 block of S. Smallwood St. The man, whose identity was not known, had been shot at least once in the head.
NEWS
By Jennifer McMenamin and Jennifer McMenamin,jennifer.mcmenamin@baltsun.com | October 28, 2008
At court hearing after court hearing, Nicholas W. Browning has sat stoically as lawyers argued about his bail status, the doctors who would evaluate him and whether he would be tried in adult court or the juvenile system on charges that he killed his family. But yesterday, as Baltimore County prosecutor S. Ann Brobst read the gruesome details of the night that Browning methodically shot his parents and two younger brothers as they slept in their Cockeysville home, the 16-year-old removed his wire-rimmed glasses and wept.
NEWS
By STAFF REPORT | August 6, 2008
A 21-year-old Crofton man pleaded guilty yesterday to possessing more than 600 images of child pornography on his home computer, according to the Maryland U.S. attorney's office. Prosecutors said that James Spencer Godboldte was arrested after an undercover law enforcement officer in Tampa, Fla., downloaded two images of child pornography from a computer address that belonged to the suspect June 30, 2006. Federal agents searched Godboldte's house in Anne Arundel County on Sept. 8, 2006, and said they found hundreds of images of children between 7 and 14 years old stored on his computer.
NEWS
By MELISSA HARRIS | July 30, 2008
A 28-year-old Jarrettsville man pleaded guilty yesterday to voluntary manslaughter in the death of his former live-in girlfriend's 2-year-old son, Anthony Joseph D'Urso. Circuit Judge Charles G. Bernstein sentenced Paul Highfield of the 4000 block of Security Lane to the maximum 10 years in prison. On Sept. 12, 2006, prosecutors said, the boy's mother left her son in Highfield's care while she was at work.
NEWS
July 12, 2008
Three Baltimore-area men have pleaded guilty in separate cases to child pornography charges, Maryland U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein announced yesterday. Roy Edward Hoover Jr., 37, of Baltimore was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Baltimore to 10 years in prison for sexual exploitation of a minor to produce child pornography. According to his guilty plea, Hoover sexually assaulted a girl in his care for nearly three years, beginning in September 2004, when she was 14. Hoover took digital photographs of the assaults and downloaded them to his computer, according to Rosenstein's office.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.