Advertisement
HomeCollectionsGarage Fire
IN THE NEWS

Garage Fire

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
By Susan Reimer, The Baltimore Sun | August 12, 2012
Howard County firefighters responded early Sunday morning to a fire in an attached garage in Ellicott City and prevented the blaze from spreading to the house, officials reported. None of the residents of the home in the 5100 block of Britton Lane and no firefighters were injured, but it took 90 minutes to bring the smoky fire, believed to have started among oily rags, under control. Damage was estimated to be about $13,000, but the residents were not displaced. Susan.reimer@baltsun.com
ARTICLES BY DATE
EXPLORE
November 8, 2012
100 Years Ago A nickel a night Times ads: "Interesting, Moving Pictures, change each night, In the Banquet Hall of the HOWARD HOUSE Ellicott City, Commencing Saturday night, Nov. 30th Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday nights. Admission 5 cents. Wm. F. Kerger, Proprietor. " "For Rent: One new modern house and lot, with garden and storeroom for particulars. Address to C.H. Iglehart, Dayton, Md. or F.B. Cissel, Ellicott City, Md. " 75 Years Ago Fired up "Firemen fight Chimney, Field And Woods Fires," was the headline of a story in the news.
Advertisement
NEWS
By Steve Kilar, The Baltimore Sun | November 3, 2011
One person was killed during a fire that started about 9:20 p.m. in the northwest Baltimore neighborhood of Arlington, a fire official said. The fire started in a garage behind a vacant, two-story brick home in the 5200 block of Elmer Ave., said Chief Kevin Cartwright, a spokesman for the Baltimore City Fire Department. The body was found burned in the garage, and the sex of the victim could not be immediately identified, he said. Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames, which had briefly extended to the vacant house.
NEWS
By Susan Reimer, The Baltimore Sun | August 12, 2012
Howard County firefighters responded early Sunday morning to a fire in an attached garage in Ellicott City and prevented the blaze from spreading to the house, officials reported. None of the residents of the home in the 5100 block of Britton Lane and no firefighters were injured, but it took 90 minutes to bring the smoky fire, believed to have started among oily rags, under control. Damage was estimated to be about $13,000, but the residents were not displaced. Susan.reimer@baltsun.com
NEWS
March 21, 1996
State fire marshals have ruled that the cause of Tuesday's early morning garage fire in Frizzellburg was accidental.The blaze, ignited by a malfunctioning fluorescent light, was reported at 3: 11 a.m. in the 1900 block of Old Taneytown Road and was under control within 10 minutes by about 30 firefighters from Pleasant Valley, Westminster and Taneytown, fire marshals said.Damage was estimated at $25,000.Pub Date: 3/21/96
NEWS
September 28, 1994
Firefighters battled a garage fire for more than two hours Monday at a residence in the 1600 block of Deer Park Road. Officials said the fire started when the owner, Donald Redifer, was using welding equipment on a workbench in the garage and nearby rags and combustible materials ignited.No one was injured, but flames destroyed the 20-by-20-foot wooden garage attached to the house, fire officials said. The damage was estimated at $20,000.More than 40 firefighters from Gamber, Reese and Westminster were dispatched at 4:04 p.m. and returned to their stations at 6:10 p.m., officials said.
NEWS
October 6, 1994
FIRE* Taneytown: Firefighters from the Taneytown station responded to a garage fire in the 500 block of S. Queen St. in Adams County, Pa., at 12:27 p.m. yesterday. They were out for 55 minutes.
NEWS
January 5, 1995
FIRE* Lineboro: Lineboro, Manchester and Hampstead were dispatched to a garage fire on Water Tank Road at 6:18 p.m. Tuesday. Units were out for 2 hours, 30 minutes.
NEWS
December 11, 1995
FireUnion Bridge: Union Bridge, New Windsor, Taneytown, Westminster and New Midway of Frederick County responded to a garage fire in the 300 block of Thomas St. at 6:29 p.m. Thursday. Units were out 31 minutes.
NEWS
April 10, 1996
FireManchester: Firefighters from Lineboro and Hampstead assisted Manchester at 6: 51 p.m. Monday, responding to a garage fire on Wentz Road. Units were out two hours.Pub Date: 4/10/96
NEWS
By Steve Kilar, The Baltimore Sun | November 3, 2011
One person was killed during a fire that started about 9:20 p.m. in the northwest Baltimore neighborhood of Arlington, a fire official said. The fire started in a garage behind a vacant, two-story brick home in the 5200 block of Elmer Ave., said Chief Kevin Cartwright, a spokesman for the Baltimore City Fire Department. The body was found burned in the garage, and the sex of the victim could not be immediately identified, he said. Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames, which had briefly extended to the vacant house.
NEWS
BY A SUN STAFF WRITER | November 17, 2004
A garage attached to an Ellicott City home caught fire yesterday afternoon, causing about $35,000 in property damage, a fire official said. Howard County firefighters responded to the blaze at the two-story house in the 10000 block of Fox Den Road about 4 p.m. and were able to control the fire quickly, said Battalion Chief Richard Blankenship. The dwelling area sustained smoke and water damage, and siding was burned, he said. No one was home at the time, and no firefighters were injured, he said.
NEWS
December 6, 2001
The state fire marshal is investigating a blaze that destroyed a masonry contractor's detached garage in Union Bridge early yesterday. Postal workers reported smoke in the first block of Whyte St. about 5 a.m. The 40-foot-by-15-foot garage and its contents were destroyed, and authorities estimated damage at $50,000. Deputy Fire Marshal Sarina Hart said Dean R. Pennington owns the garage for a contracting business. The building was by itself on property used for the business. Investigators determined that the fire was set deliberately and started inside the garage.
NEWS
January 12, 2000
Fire Hampstead: Firefighters from Hampstead, Manchester and Westminster responded at 11: 32 a.m. Monday to a garage fire in the 2100 block of Walsh Drive. Units were out 95 minutes.
NEWS
November 17, 1999
PoliceWestminster: A resident of Union Street told police Friday that property was stolen from his vehicle while it was parked on Union Street. Loss was estimated at $350.Westminster: A resident of John Street told police Thursday that property was stolen from her home between June and October. Loss was estimated at $1,850.Westminster: A resident of Logan Drive told police Monday that someone took her cell phone while she was at Cranberry Mall. Loss was estimated at $250.FiresWestminster: Firefighters from Westminster and Reese responded at 10: 01 p.m. Monday to a garage fire in the first block of Union St. Units were out one hour, 35 minutes.
NEWS
By Richard Irwin and Richard Irwin,SUN STAFF | February 5, 1999
A retired Army major was found dead yesterday by firefighters battling a blaze that destroyed the laundry room and garage of his Abingdon home, said a spokesman for the state fire marshal's office.The body of James E. Schall Jr., 62, of the 700 block of Frans Drive was found by firefighters in the laundry room behind the garage shortly after the fire was reported by neighbors at 3: 50 p.m., said Allen Gosnell, a state fire marshal.Schall served in the Vietnam War and was a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, Gosnell said.
NEWS
May 23, 1997
FireSykesville: Firefighters assisted Howard County at 7: 32 p.m. Wednesday, responding to a garage fire on Scotswood Court. Units were out 20 minutes.Pub Date: 5/23/97
NEWS
December 24, 1998
FiresTaneytown: Firefighters assisted Littlestown, Pa., at 11: 19 p.m. Tuesday at a garage fire.Taneytown: Firefighters from Taneytown, Harney and Union Bridge responded at 8: 51 p.m. Tuesday to a chimney fire in the 300 block of Roberts Mill Road.nTC Pub Date: 12/24/98
NEWS
BY A SUN STAFF WRITER | December 11, 1998
A man using a garage near Green Mount Cemetery for shelter died last night when a fire, apparently caused by a kerosene heater, set debris inside the structure ablaze, said a Fire Department official.Lt. Thomas Nosek of Engine Co. 19 in the 1300 block of Guilford Ave. said his unit was returning from a call in the 2700 block of N. Calvert St. about 9: 40 p.m. when the crew noticed smoke and flames coming from a garage in the rear of the 400 block of E. Lafayette Ave.Nosek said that after firefighters forced their way inside the locked garage and put out the flames, they found the severely burned body of a man in a chair.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.