Advertisement
HomeCollectionsFire Investigators
IN THE NEWS

Fire Investigators

NEWS
BY A SUN STAFF WRITER | December 25, 2001
The state fire marshal's office has determined a fire Saturday morning that caused about $300,000 in damage to Our Lady Center Inc., a spiritual retreat center in Ellicott City, began accidentally, investigators said yesterday. Fire investigators believe candles left burning after a 9:30 p.m. service ignited combustible materials near the altar. Howard County firefighters found the chapel, in the 3300 block of Rogers Ave., in flames when they arrived about 4 a.m. Saturday. Our Lady Center has no regular congregation, said Madeline Lancelotta, 86, whose husband, Frank Lancelotta, donated land for the center in the 1970s.
Advertisement
NEWS
By Don Markus, The Baltimore Sun | March 30, 2011
Fire investigators in Anne Arundel County have arrested a man and charged him with setting a series of brush fires in Severna Park Monday. Jack Hale, of no fixed address, was charged with setting brush fires and trespassing, both misdemeanors. Police and firefighters were called to a wooded area near the intersection of Ritchie Highway and Wishing Rock Road several times that day, and detained a man that witnesses said set the fires. don.markus@baltsun.com Text NEWS to 70701 to get Baltimore Sun local news text alerts
NEWS
By Steve Kilar, The Baltimore Sun | January 13, 2012
A fire Thursday evening in a Glen Burnie apartment complex was set intentionally, according to the Anne Arundel County Fire Department. The fire occurred just after 7 p.m. in a second-floor storage area in the Windbrooke Apartments, in the 7900 block of Silent Shadow Court, a department statement Friday said. The small fire was contained by sprinklers and was quickly extinguished, but fire investigators have determined that the flames were started on purpose. The fire department asks anyone with information about the fire to call investigators at 410-222-TIPS (8477)
NEWS
August 4, 2007
Fire investigators have identified the 46-year-old woman who died in a Harford County house fire Sunday and determined that a faulty air conditioner caused the blaze. Deana Lynn Farley died of smoke inhalation at her home on Main Street in Whiteford, investigators said. The fire started in the living room, where the window-mounted air conditioner ignited. Smoke and flames spread quickly throughout the wood-frame dwelling. Investigators said Farley, the sole occupant of the home, was trapped on the second floor.
EXPLORE
RECORD STAFF REPORT | October 18, 2012
A fire did minor damage to a storage shed in the Havre de Grace area Wednesday evening, according to fire investigators. Firefighters were sent to the 400 block of Robin Hood Road about 6:25 p.m. Wednesday after a neighbor reported a fire in a 8-by-10 foot wood frame shed on the property of Richard Forton, according to a notice of investigation from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office. Twenty firefighters from the Susquehanna Hose Company of Havre de Grace brought the fire under control in 10 minutes, the fire marshal's office said.
NEWS
November 1, 2001
Baltimore County fire investigators said yesterday that an "electrical malfunction" apparently started the fire in a Lansdowne house that killed a man and three children Tuesday morning. Lt. Vernon S. Adamson, a spokesman for the county Fire Department, said the investigation continues, but officials do not believe the fire was of suspicious origin. Officials said Tuesday that the fire apparently started on the first floor, near the kitchen. Henry Walter Atkins, 24, his son, Nikolas Henry Atkins, 1, and his fiancee's two children, Forrest Levere Wrightson, 3, and Micah Edwin Forrest Wrightson, 4, were killed in the fire in the 900 block of Catawba Court in the Riverview development.
NEWS
By Luke Lavoie, llavoie@tribune.com | July 9, 2013
Six people, including two infants, were displaced after a firefighters from Howard, Anne Arundel and Prince George's counties extinguished a fire in a mobile home located in Beechcrest Mobile Home Estates. According to Howard County's Department of Fire and Rescue Services, fire investigators determined that the July 5 fire was accidental, and caused at estimated $10,000 in damages to the home, which did not have a smoke alarm. The six displaced, which also include two adults and two teenagers, are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
NEWS
AEGIS STAFF REPORT | October 16, 2012
Improperly discarded smoking material is blamed for a fire that damaged the exterior of a condo building in Bel Air late Monday night, according to fire investigators. The fire in the 1300 block of Scottsdale Drive did an estimated $25,000 damage to the exterior of the building, according a notice of investigation from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office. The fire on the balcony of the four-story building was discovered by a neighbor shortly after 11:45 p.m., according to the state fire marshal's office, which said it took 20 firefighters about five minutes to bring the fire under control.
NEWS
By Gus G. Sentementes and Gus G. Sentementes,gus.sentementes@baltsun.com | January 10, 2009
A man died yesterday after catching fire behind a Fells Point building where scenes of Homicide: Life on the Street used to be filmed. The incident happened shortly before 11:30 a.m. near Broadway and Thames Street, a well-traveled thoroughfare. The man, whose identity was not available, was ablaze when firefighters arrived at the scene, said Chief Kevin Cartwright, a Fire Department spokesman. Firefighters extinguished the flames, but the man died. His clothed body was found about 30 feet behind a fence blocking the area next to the harbor.
NEWS
By Luke Broadwater, The Baltimore Sun | November 7, 2011
A three-alarm fire that displaced 17 people in Perry Hall Friday night has been ruled accidental, fire officials said Monday. At about 8:15 p.m. Friday firefighters were called to the 9700 block of Haven Farm Road and found residents waiting outside a multiple-dwelling building. There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters, officials said, and all of the residents were able to find shelter with friends and relatives. About 100 firefighters fought the flames, which were brought under control by 10 p.m. Crews determined that the fire started in the ceiling above one of the third floor condominiums.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.