Advertisement
HomeCollectionsExtension Cord
IN THE NEWS

Extension Cord

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
April 26, 1996
An overloaded extension cord was the cause of a fire early yesterday that caused $30,000 damage to a Union Bridge house and left a family of three homeless, fire officials said.No one was injured in the blaze and displaced residents were assisted by relatives, fire officials said. A 15-year-old boy told firefighters that he awoke at 1: 18 a.m. to find flames coming from the kitchen, where the cord had been used to operate a washing machine.About 75 firefighters from Union Bridge, Taneytown, New Windsor and New Midway brought the fire at the two-story wood structure in the first block of E. Broadway under control in 10 minutes.
ARTICLES BY DATE
EXPLORE
January 15, 2013
A shed and two abandoned cars were destroyed by a fire in Street Tuesday morning, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said. The shed, in the 3700 block of Bay Road, was occupied by a man, Dannie Ellis, when it accidentally caught fire at about 9:05 a.m., according to the notice of investigation from the Fire Marshal's Office. "An extension cord was spliced into the Romex wire located at the base of the shed," the notice of investigation states. "This splice ignited nearby combustibles, extending and eventually consuming the shed.
Advertisement
NEWS
By Julie Bykowicz and Julie Bykowicz,SUN STAFF | January 22, 2003
Lief Anderson grabbed his bright-orange extension cord to throw as a lifeline and raced to the community pier Monday afternoon when he saw a 14-year-old plunge into the icy waters of Cockey Creek in Pasadena. An hour earlier, several miles away, another 14-year-old had hoisted himself to safety after briefly being totally submerged in the barely frozen Marley Creek in Glen Burnie. Both teen-agers narrowly escaped serious injury. But emergency workers fear that as freezing temperatures continue, curious youths -- who might not have seen such ice in several years -- will keep falling through thinly ice-coated bodies of water in the Baltimore area.
EXPLORE
March 26, 2012
The following is compiled from police reports from the Cockeysville Precinct. Our policy is to include descriptions only when there is enough information to make identification possible. Parkton Old York Road , 21100 block, between 6 p.m. March 17 and 6:05 a.m. March 19. Two chainsaws and two chipping hammers stolen from Vachino Masonry storage units after padlocks were cut after forklift blocking one unit was hot-wired and moved. Bond Road , 1600 block, between March 12 and March 18. Golf clubs and split firewood stolen from property.
NEWS
By Kris Antonelli and Kris Antonelli,SUN STAFF Sun staff writer Richard Irwin contributed to this article | November 13, 1996
An overloaded extension cord caused the Monday night blaze that fatally injured a Dundalk man and his son, Baltimore County fire officials said yesterday.John Jack Dembeck, 47, who shared the rowhouse in the 100 block of Patapsco Ave. with his wife, Margaret, 40, and son Jason, 16, was found by firefighters in the first-floor dining room.Mr. Dembeck was pronounced dead at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center of apparent smoke inhalation, said Battalion Chief Mark Hubbard, a Fire Department spokesman.
NEWS
By Peter Jensen and By Peter Jensen,SUN STAFF | December 22, 2002
Let's just lay our cards on the table, shall we? There's an 8-foot-tall lighted snowman in my front yard. You want to make something of it? Oh, and yes, a couple thousand lights. Well, sure, it's taken me a few days to put the whole display together. At least six electrical outlets are involved. So? I made the rounds of all the major garden centers and hardware stores two months ago looking for novel Christmas lights. I don't deny it. It's good to get an early start on the season. Maybe I already own enough of that green outdoor extension cord to power appliances in Delaware.
NEWS
January 15, 1993
POLICE* Sykesville1100 block of Coventry Meadow Drive: a door was pried open between 4:45 p.m. Monday and 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, and tools and an extension cord were taken.
NEWS
May 11, 1995
POLICE LOG* Glen Burnie : Someone apparently came through an unlocked window in the back of a house in the 6800 block of Fort Smallwood Road between Friday and Tuesday and stole an electric snake, a power washer and an extension cord, county police said. The items are valued at $4,000.
ENTERTAINMENT
By Annie Linskey | May 30, 2004
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, by David Sedaris. Little, Brown. 257 pages. $24.95. Twenty-two super short stories -- many less than five pages -- from the It boy of the public radio crowd. Most of the material has already been published, but for those who can't keep up with their New Yorkers, the collection is well worth the read. Sedaris' humor falls squarely in the it's-funny-because-it's-true category. He's written several other books in this vein, including the wildly popular Me Talk Pretty One Day. And, in this new volume, he hits the mark more often than not. A favorite image comes courtesy of Sedaris' North Carolina neighbors, the Tomkeys, who somehow think it is appropriate to trick-or-treat on the day after Halloween.
FEATURES
By Karol V. Menzie and Randy Johnson | December 12, 1992
Hello, up there -- you on the ladder with the string of lights in your hands. Where are you going to plug those in? That outlet down there beside the tree that already has a portable heater and the tree lights plugged in? Think again.Winter and the holiday season bring happy times, happy memories and peaceful thoughts of home and family.But -- by putting a strain on electric systems and electric cords -- the holidays also bring increased risk of fire. Before you get out the heater, put up the first decoration or untangle the first string of lights, you need to do an electricity management plan.
NEWS
December 28, 2007
Montgomery Co. : Rockville Teen denied bail on murder charge A judge has ruled that an 18-year-old man charged with murdering his father will remain held without bail. David Winters of North Potomac appeared in Montgomery County District Court yesterday via closed-circuit television. The state argued that Winters is a danger to the community, while Winters' defense attorney said the evidence against his client is flimsy. The teen's father, Andrew Winters, 55, was found dead with several stab wounds Tuesday near Muddy Branch Park.
NEWS
By RICHARD IRWIN | November 8, 2005
Police Blotter is a sampling of crimes from police reports in Baltimore and Baltimore County. Baltimore Southern Robbery -- A 34-year-old man reported Sunday that he was walking in the 1900 block of Washington Blvd. about 1:30 p.m. Wednesday when two men, one armed with what may have been a handgun, robbed him of $43. It was not known why the man waited four days to report the incident. Southwest Stolen vehicle -- A gold-colored 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier with tags LDF 678 was stolen Sunday in the 500 block of S. Wickham Road.
ENTERTAINMENT
By Annie Linskey | May 30, 2004
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, by David Sedaris. Little, Brown. 257 pages. $24.95. Twenty-two super short stories -- many less than five pages -- from the It boy of the public radio crowd. Most of the material has already been published, but for those who can't keep up with their New Yorkers, the collection is well worth the read. Sedaris' humor falls squarely in the it's-funny-because-it's-true category. He's written several other books in this vein, including the wildly popular Me Talk Pretty One Day. And, in this new volume, he hits the mark more often than not. A favorite image comes courtesy of Sedaris' North Carolina neighbors, the Tomkeys, who somehow think it is appropriate to trick-or-treat on the day after Halloween.
NEWS
By Julie Bykowicz and Julie Bykowicz,SUN STAFF | January 22, 2003
Lief Anderson grabbed his bright-orange extension cord to throw as a lifeline and raced to the community pier Monday afternoon when he saw a 14-year-old plunge into the icy waters of Cockey Creek in Pasadena. An hour earlier, several miles away, another 14-year-old had hoisted himself to safety after briefly being totally submerged in the barely frozen Marley Creek in Glen Burnie. Both teen-agers narrowly escaped serious injury. But emergency workers fear that as freezing temperatures continue, curious youths -- who might not have seen such ice in several years -- will keep falling through thinly ice-coated bodies of water in the Baltimore area.
NEWS
By Peter Jensen and By Peter Jensen,SUN STAFF | December 22, 2002
Let's just lay our cards on the table, shall we? There's an 8-foot-tall lighted snowman in my front yard. You want to make something of it? Oh, and yes, a couple thousand lights. Well, sure, it's taken me a few days to put the whole display together. At least six electrical outlets are involved. So? I made the rounds of all the major garden centers and hardware stores two months ago looking for novel Christmas lights. I don't deny it. It's good to get an early start on the season. Maybe I already own enough of that green outdoor extension cord to power appliances in Delaware.
FEATURES
By Rob Kasper | March 2, 2002
AS FORREST Gump the handyman might say, life is like repairing an extension cord. It is easy to end up on the wrong end of things. That happened to me recently. I devoted tons of mental energy, hours of frustrating labor and $2.69 to replacing the plug, or male end, of an extension cord. Growing up with three brothers and as the father of two boys, whenever there is trouble I suspect a male. In this instance, however, I later learned that the problem resided at the receptacle - or female - end of the cord.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.