Advertisement
HomeCollectionsDuquette
IN THE NEWS

Duquette

FIND MORE STORIES ABOUT:
SPORTS
Peter Schmuck | February 25, 2014
SARASOTA, FLA. - Maybe Dan Duquette knew it all along, though if that were really the case, he isn't letting on. It certainly appears that he played the new "qualified" free agent system like a Stradivarius to pick up solid starting pitcher Ubaldo Jimenez and slugger Nelson Cruz in a played-out market. He waited and weathered a frustrating winter during which he appeared to be playing a dangerous game with the hard-earned loyalty of a once disaffected fan base. He spent three months looking like a guy with all the wrong phone numbers and listening to a steady drumbeat of media criticism.
Advertisement
SPORTS
By Peter Schmuck and Eduardo A. Encina, The Baltimore Sun | February 20, 2014
SARASOTA, FLA. - Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette will not rule out another free agent acquisition to upgrade the team's offensive lineup, though top remaining hitter Kendrys Morales would require the club to give up its third pick in the June draft. The Orioles already surrendered their first pick (No. 17 overall) with the signing of starting pitcher Ubaldo Jimenez , who was officially introduced to the media at a televised news conference on Thursday morning.
SPORTS
By Dan Connolly, The Baltimore Sun | February 1, 2014
Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said Saturday at FanFest that the club offered first baseman Chris Davis a long-term contract extension this winter, but that “it really hasn't progressed.” Davis, who finished third in American League Most Valuable Player voting last season, can't be a free agent until after the 2015 season. Davis said he didn't think there had been any discussions between the Orioles and his agent, Scott Boras, since last season, and joked that he wanted to know more about what Duquette had said.
SPORTS
Peter Schmuck | February 1, 2014
The fans may be getting restless, but Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette seems determined to prove that patience is a virtue even in the win-now world of professional sports. Well, he calls it patience. The naysayers might call it frustrating inactivity. The Orioles open spring training in about two weeks and the club still has not made good on their intention to add a veteran starting pitcher or, really, any significant free agent who might improve their chances of getting back to the playoffs in 2014.
SPORTS
By Eduardo A. Encina and The Baltimore Sun | February 1, 2014
Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette's message to season-ticket holders was a clear one: "We still have work to do. " Duquette and Orioles manager Buck Showalter kicked off this year's annual Orioles FanFest with a question-and-answer session for season-ticket holders. Duquette said he's still trying to upgrade the club's pitching staff and would like to add a veteran starting pitcher by free agency. Meanwhile, fans at Baltimore Convention Center were asking whether the club was going to make an announcement on a signing -- the team has shown interest in veteran right-handers A.J. Burnett and Bronson Arroyo -- at FanFest.
SPORTS
By Dan Connolly and The Baltimore Sun | January 30, 2014
Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said Wednesday that he is still attempting to land a starter to improve the club's rotation. The winter isn't over yet, he points out. There are several pitchers who intrigue the Orioles - you know the list - and he's trying to get the right fit for what the club believes is the right dollars. My question to Duquette was whether it was important to have someone new in the fold by Saturday's FanFest. After all, this has not been a banner offseason for the Orioles, and the fan base, understandably, is growing increasingly annoyed with the lack of a marquee move.
SPORTS
By Dan Connolly, The Baltimore Sun | January 22, 2014
The Orioles have money to spend - perhaps as much as $17 million for this upcoming season - and are still looking to do so, according to the club's top executive. Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka signed a seven-year, $155 million deal with the New York Yankees on Wednesday as the free-agent market appeared to open for a second act. The ongoing negotiations with Tanaka - which did not include the Orioles, who never agreed to pay the $20 million posting fee to talk with him - seemingly had held free agency hostage after a flurry of activity in early December.
SPORTS
By Dan Connolly and The Baltimore Sun | December 27, 2013
The bidding for Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka ends on Jan. 24. The Orioles won't be in on it. Tanaka, who is 25 and was 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA in 28 games (27 starts) for the Rakuten Golden Eagles of Japan's Pacific League last season, is probably in line for a seven-year contract that will push well above $100 million. Considering the Orioles have never gone beyond three years for a MLB free-agent pitcher, Tanaka is well out of their comfort zone. Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said that - point blank - earlier this month.
SPORTS
By Eduardo A. Encina and The Baltimore Sun | December 23, 2013
The Orioles claimed right-handed pitcher Liam Hendriks off waivers from the Chicago Cubs, the team announced Monday. The addition of the 24-year-old Hendriks, however, doesn't alter the Orioles' offseason search for a starting pitcher to help solidify the club's rotation, executive vice president Dan Duquette said. Hendriks was 2-13 with a 6.06 ERA in 30 major league games (28 starts) over the past three seasons for the Minnesota Twins before being claimed off waivers by the Cubs on Dec. 13. Last season, Hendriks was 1-3 with a 6.85 ERA in 10 games (eight starts)
SPORTS
By Eduardo A. Encina and Dan Connolly and The Baltimore Sun | December 20, 2013
Fate has not been friendly to the Orioles so far this offseason, but frustration might have reached its peak on Friday, when the team cut ties with a player who would have been its prize acquisition of the hot-stove season, further compounding the club's star-crossed December. The Orioles officially parted ways with free-agent closer Grant Balfour on Friday when executive vice president Dan Duquette announced the club was diving back into the free-agent closer market after team doctors were not satisfied with the results of Balfour's pre-signing physical.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.