Advertisement
HomeCollectionsCourt Records
IN THE NEWS

Court Records

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
By Justin Fenton, The Baltimore Sun | June 22, 2012
A great frustration of daily crime reporting is that when readers want to know the most about a shooting incident or other crime, there's often very little information available. You end up with a few paragraphs about where and when, the victim's age, and the standard line that police are investigating. That's why we scour court documents looking for cases that may - even if indirectly - shed new light on some of those incidents. Earlier this week, a 66-page affidavit in a broad drug conspiracy case was made available, and while the document consists of transcriptions of mostly bland, intercepted drug conversations, the DEA also picked up their targets discussing recent shootings in East Baltimore's Latrobe Homes area.  On March 29, at about 10:53 a.m., authorities were listening in as Corey Donnell Brown, 38, also known as "Slug," and Damond Terrell Brown, 35, known as "Ray Ray," spoke on the phone and talked about a shooting of Brandon Branch, according to the affidavit.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
By Justin George and Colin Campbell and The Baltimore Sun | September 23, 2014
An off-duty Prince George's County police officer was charged with second-degree assault and has been suspended from his job after Baltimore police said he threatened to shoot someone during an argument outside a Canton bar on Saturday. Prince George's County Police said patrol officer Michael O'Connell, a three-year veteran, has been suspended with pay. Baltimore police got a missing-person call at 2:44 a.m. to a bar in the 2900 block of O'Donnell St., according to the arrest report.
Advertisement
NEWS
BY A SUN STAFF WRITER | February 7, 2002
A judicial advisory panel is inviting public response to its recommendations that access to court records - in electronic or paper form - should be maintained, a stance that reverses an earlier committee's proposal that would have restricted access to the files. In its draft report, the Committee on Access to Court Records also calls for Maryland court officials to plan to make more records available by computer from remote sites. The committee's draft report, released this week, can be read on the judiciary's Web site, www. courts.
NEWS
By Yvonne Wenger, The Baltimore Sun | September 5, 2014
Federal authorities are searching for a 34-year-old man wanted for allegedly smuggling heroin from Malaysia inside a children's stroller — and twice eluding police. Adedeji Abiodun Ajala, of Windsor Mill, is charged with conspiracies related to importing, possessing and distributing a controlled substance. Authorities had been searching for Ajala after monitoring a package mailed from Malaysia in late July to Baltimore. Inside the package, authorities found heroin sewn into the fabric of a stroller, according to court records.
NEWS
By Andrea F. Siegel and Andrea F. Siegel,SUN STAFF | January 14, 2004
A judicial panel proposing what would be Maryland's first rules detailing public access to court records is recommending that, with few exceptions, courthouse records be presumed to be open, including the burgeoning fields of computerized and electronic information. The proposed rules are intended to protect individual privacy while keeping open everything from property ownership and divorce squabbles to criminal case files. At the same time, the rules would close access to some information now available - for example, blacking out all but the last four digits of a Social Security number.
NEWS
By Eric Siegel and Gail Gibson and Eric Siegel and Gail Gibson,SUN STAFF | December 1, 2000
Proposed restrictions on public access to computerized state court records could seriously hinder background checks on bank tellers who handle money, nannies who care for children and tenants who might live next door. Users of the state's centralized database of court records say that the information they now get electronically to do those kinds of checks has long been considered public in courthouses across the state and should continue to be available over the Internet. Without continued access through the Internet, available for $50 a year, users would have to travel from courthouse to courthouse around the state to get criminal information - a process they say would be more costly and time-consuming and less thorough.
NEWS
By Eric Siegel and Gail Gibson and Eric Siegel and Gail Gibson,SUN STAFF | December 10, 2000
As Maryland's judiciary considers restricting public access to computerized court records, several states and counties are using technology to make their records more widely available. Colorado and Wisconsin have Web sites that allow anyone, anywhere to conduct statewide searches of court records ranging from traffic violations to murder cases. Some counties, including Maricopa in Arizona, have Internet links that provide instant access to records traditionally available only at local courthouses.
NEWS
By Kevin Rector, The Baltimore Sun | February 7, 2013
The woman stabbed to death in her Garrison apartment this week was under police watch and had sought a court order for protection against her alleged killer, a former boyfriend who had been threatening her for years, Baltimore County police said Thursday. Katie Hadel, 33, was three months pregnant when she died Tuesday night, her mother said. She was in the apartment with at least two children when police say Jeffrey Matthew Shiflett - a man who had made many violent threats to harm Hadel - arrived at her door.
NEWS
By Robert Little and Robert Little,SUN REPORTER | June 24, 2007
Hundreds of tugboat captains, charter fishermen and other professional mariners face charges of negligence or misconduct every year under the U.S. Coast Guard's administrative court system, a forum established to be fair and impartial, like any other court. The stakes are high for mariners. Even a temporary suspension can often end a career. But a Sun investigation - based on evidence in federal court records, computer data files, internal memos and the sworn testimony of a former agency judge - suggests that the system isn't merely tough on mariners but is stacked against them.
NEWS
By Justin Fenton, The Baltimore Sun | August 5, 2014
A 21-year-old Baltimore man — convicted less than five years ago of murder — has been charged in a double shooting last week that left 19-year-old Dominic Tales dead and another man critically injured, police said. Police said two officers were on patrol at 1 a.m. Thursday when they heard shots nearby and one of them saw Marquel Gaffney firing a handgun in the 900 block of N. Monroe St. in West Baltimore. In charging documents, police say the officer recognized Gaffney, of the 2100 block of Ashton St., from "numerous" prior contacts.
NEWS
By Justin Fenton, The Baltimore Sun | August 29, 2014
As detectives were investigating a rape that had occurred in West Baltimore, the phone rang in the sex offense unit. On the line was a "concerned citizen" who said that a man named Corey Braxton had tried to help save a woman from being raped on North Avenue. The victim, however, said there had been no such intervention. Police now had a suspect. Braxton, 23, of the 1500 block of N. Carey St., is now charged with first-degree rape in connection with the Aug. 26 attack. Police said that, under questioning, he began banging his head against a wall and was taken for an emergency evaluation at a hospital.
NEWS
By Justin George, The Baltimore Sun | August 19, 2014
A 19-year-old man has been charged in a Northwest Baltimore double shooting that injured two men in late July, Baltimore police say. Michael Pickett, 19, of 603 E 38th St., faces attempted murder, assault and weapons charges after Baltimore police say he shot two men sitting in a 2000 Saturn on July 30 in the 5000 block of Gwynn Oak Ave. in Howard Park. Police say a 22-year-old man was shot in the chest and lower back while a 27-year-old man was shot in the right arm. Witnesses identified Pickett as a person of interest in the shooting and he was arrested after a photo lineup, detectives wrote in charging documents.
NEWS
By Justin Fenton, The Baltimore Sun | August 5, 2014
A 21-year-old Baltimore man — convicted less than five years ago of murder — has been charged in a double shooting last week that left 19-year-old Dominic Tales dead and another man critically injured, police said. Police said two officers were on patrol at 1 a.m. Thursday when they heard shots nearby and one of them saw Marquel Gaffney firing a handgun in the 900 block of N. Monroe St. in West Baltimore. In charging documents, police say the officer recognized Gaffney, of the 2100 block of Ashton St., from "numerous" prior contacts.
NEWS
By Justin Fenton, The Baltimore Sun | June 30, 2014
A Baltimore man dubbed "Public Enemy No. 1" by city police last summer after being linked to a string of shootings is in trouble again - this time accused of stabbing another inmate in the head in an argument over using the telephone, court records show. Darryl Martin Anderson's nickname apparently has had staying power even as Anderson remains in jail awaiting trial, according to charging documents. When police asked the victim, inmate Gregory Hollomon, who had stabbed him, he replied, "Public Enemy No. 1. " Anderson, 26, was arrested in Alabama last summer after a yearlong hunt by authorities in two jurisdictions.
NEWS
By Justin Fenton, The Baltimore Sun | June 27, 2014
A man who died after being shot Thursday in a Northwest Baltimore grocery store parking lot was shot while inside a vehicle with the suspect — and the suspect's two children, police said. "I did it, take me down, get me out of here," the suspect, Dwight Thomas Jenifer, 26, allegedly told police, according to court records. The shooting occurred at about 11 a.m. in the parking lot of an Aldi's grocery store in the 3600 block of W. Cold Spring Lane. The victim, Terrez Bowden, 46, was found seated in the passenger seat of a vehicle, suffering from a gunshot wound to the head and was later pronounced dead.
NEWS
By Pamela Wood, The Baltimore Sun | May 25, 2014
Baltimore police have arrested two men in connection with a pair of triple shootings in different neighborhoods last week. Ryan King, 25, of the 400 block of S. Parrish St. in Baltimore was charged in the shooting of three people Thursday morning in the 1600 block of Cherry Street near Curtis Avenue in Curtis Bay, police said Sunday. King faces multiple counts of attempted first-degree murder, attempted second-degree murder, assault, reckless endangerment and firearms charges, according to court records.
NEWS
By Pamela Wood, The Baltimore Sun | May 6, 2014
An Annapolis woman who claimed to be suffering from a "Muslim curse" has been found not criminally responsible in the death of her 2-year-old child last year. Anne Arundel County Circuit Court Judge Ronald A. Silkworth accepted Chelsea Booth's plea of not criminally responsible for second-degree murder last Friday, according to court records. Neighbors told police in February 2013 that they hadn't seen 2-year-old Kassidey Booth with her mother, Chelsea, for a few days. When police questioned Booth, she claimed the girl was with her father, according to court records.
NEWS
By Erica L. Green, The Baltimore Sun | May 5, 2014
A 17-year-old Baltimore student is facing several assault charges in connection with a stabbing that occurred at a Southeast Baltimore school last week, according to court records. According to a notification sent to school officials, a 14-year-old student at Friendship Academy of Science and Technology was stabbed in the chest with a knife Friday after he and another student engaged in a verbal altercation. Sharrod Alston was arrested by Baltimore City school police. According to court records, Alston was charged as an adult with first- and second-degree assault, disorderly conduct and possession with a deadly weapon with the intent to injure.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.