Advertisement
HomeCollectionsCarbon Monoxide Detector
IN THE NEWS

Carbon Monoxide Detector

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
July 20, 1995
FIRE* Eldersburg: Sykesville investigated wires down in the 5700 block of Batholow Road at 1:52 p.m. yesterday. Units were out 30 minutes.Sykesville and Gamber responded to a carbon monoxide detector in the 1700 block of Bennett Road at 6:22 a.m. yesterday. Units were out 50 minutes.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
January 5, 2014
Your recent on the need for carbon monoxide detectors addressed an important issue ( "A life-saving gift for 2014," Dec. 29). However, it would have been of even greater value to those who live in Baltimore had it made readers aware of the city's very broad law which I wrote and the City Council passed in 2008. Every dwelling in the city, whether newly constructed or already existing, as well as hotel, motel, boarding and rooming house, or other part of a building that provides living or sleeping facilities for one or more individuals, must install a carbon monoxide alarm in a central location outside of each sleeping area if it uses gas or fossil fuel for heating, cooking, hot water or clothes-drying; is attached to a garage; or has a gas- or wood-burning fireplace.
Advertisement
NEWS
December 13, 1995
FireMount Airy: Mount Airy responded to a carbon monoxide detector on Heritage Farms Drive at 5:47 a.m. Monday. Units were out 23 minutes.Winfield: Winfield, Sykesville and Lisbon of Howard County responded to an electrical fire at a house in the 1400 block of Streaker Road at 9:08 p.m. Monday. Units returned in 30 minutes.
NEWS
December 29, 2013
For those looking for a fairly simple and pain-free resolution for the new year, here's one: Get a carbon monoxide detector for your home or business or both. If you already have one, perhaps it's time to change the batteries or at least test them. On one single day this month - Thursday, Dec. 19 to be exact - a total of 10 people were taken to local hospitals after carbon monoxide leaks in their Baltimore County homes. The two incidents, both in Dundalk but otherwise unrelated, involved faulty furnaces.
NEWS
July 27, 1999
FiresSykesville: Firefighters from Sykesville and Gamber responded at 12: 47 p.m. Saturday to a gas line struck in the 6400 block of Othello Drive. Units were out 1 1/4 hours.Sykesville: Firefighters from Sykesville and Gamber responded at 7: 59 a.m. Saturday to a carbon monoxide detector in the 6600 block of Mid Summer Night Court. Units were out 34 minutes.Pub Date: 7/27/99
NEWS
July 10, 1995
FIRE* Deep Run: Manchester engines responded to a pole fire in the 3700 block of Back Woods Road at 4:24 p.m. Friday. Units were out 35 minutes.* Manchester: Manchester engines and the rescue squad from Reese were dispatched to investigate the report of a carbon monoxide detector activation in a house in the 3000 block of Main St. at 5:32 p.m. Thursday. Units were out 50 minutes. Residents of the building evacuated the house and no one was injured.
NEWS
By Scott Calvert, Erica L. Green and Liz F. Kay, The Baltimore Sun | February 17, 2011
Baltimore will place carbon monoxide detectors in all of its approximately 200 schools over the next month after two potentially deadly exposures occurred at the same school, officials announced Wednesday. The first 35 battery-powered detectors, which wholesale for $15 each, will be installed within a week at schools that have the same type of oven equipment identified as the source of Tuesday's exposure at Dickey Hill Elementary/Middle School. "The safety of our children comes first," city schools spokeswoman Edie House-Foster said.
NEWS
By Nick Madigan, The Baltimore Sun | December 13, 2010
Baltimore County officials Monday were investigating the circumstances surrounding a carbon-monoxide leak in a Pikesville house that claimed the lives of two construction workers who lived there. The two-story house in the 4100 block of Colby Road was not equipped with a carbon-monoxide detector, according to investigators, who withheld the names of the two dead men until relatives could be notified. Media reports identified the men as Enael Lemus and Nelvin Salguero. Eight other people who lived in the two-story house, as well as three police officers, were taken to the emergency room at the University of Maryland Medical Center after discovery of the leak Sunday morning.
NEWS
By Raven L. Hill, The Baltimore Sun | September 28, 2010
Time is running out for Baltimore County landlords to meet the Oct. 13 deadline for installing carbon monoxide detectors in rental units with fuel-burning appliances. Landlords must submit a verification form after installing the devices. The form is due Nov. 13. County officials said they have started making reminder calls to owners. The new requirement, approved by the county council last year, applies to all rental properties, regardless of year constructed. Violators will face a maximum $500 daily fine.
BUSINESS
By EILEEN AMBROSE | February 26, 2009
Nonprofit offers free tips on saving energy You can save money by making your home energy-efficient. And now you can get help with that, too. The nonprofit Civic Works will do the job for free for low- to moderate-income residents in the neighborhoods of Belair-Edison, Harwood, Waverly and Coldstream Homestead Montebello. As part of "Project Lightbulb," the group will replace 15 incandescent light bulbs in your home with compact fluorescent lights that use 25 percent less electricity.
NEWS
By Frank D. Roylance and Frank D. Roylance,SUN STAFF | July 10, 2000
Dr. Andrei Kranz disconnected the carbon monoxide detector in his Long Island, N.Y., home last summer because the device kept going off for no apparent reason and waking the family. In May, Kranz came home to find his parents, his 3-year-old daughter, the nanny and two houseguests dead in their beds, all victims of carbon monoxide poisoning. Police investigators found that someone had turned on the air conditioner without shutting off the furnace. The air conditioner's intake filter was clogged with leaves, so the cooling system drew in furnace fumes instead.
NEWS
July 27, 1999
FiresSykesville: Firefighters from Sykesville and Gamber responded at 12: 47 p.m. Saturday to a gas line struck in the 6400 block of Othello Drive. Units were out 1 1/4 hours.Sykesville: Firefighters from Sykesville and Gamber responded at 7: 59 a.m. Saturday to a carbon monoxide detector in the 6600 block of Mid Summer Night Court. Units were out 34 minutes.Pub Date: 7/27/99
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.