May 21, 1992
If three out of four "It's Your Call" respondents had their way, Mayor Kurt Schmoke would call for a huddle and change his play regarding the possible tearing down of Memorial Stadium before the NFL makes up its mind if Baltimore will be getting an expansion franchise.Of 461 respondents, 358 (78 percent) said the city should not tear down Memorial Stadium before Baltimore's expansion status is solidified. It also was felt that the stadium's demolition would hurt the city's NFL chances, with 337 of 452 callers (75 percent)
January 27, 1992
Checkoffs on state tax forms to allow Marylanders to give money to various funds and boards evoked a negative response from 81 percent of callers to SUNDIAL, or 353 of 435 callers, who said they would not donate in this way. The remaining 82 callers (18 percent) said they would."It's Your Call" represents a sampling of opinions from certain segments of the community, but it is not balanced demographically, as a scientific public opinion poll would be.
September 17, 1991
If respondents to "It's Your Call" are looking into an accurate crystal ball, Toronto and Atlanta will be representing their divisions in the baseball playoffs.Garnering 168 of the 260 votes (62 percent), the Blue Jays were an overwhelming pick to hold on and win the AL East over Boston (26 percent) and Detroit (12 percent).Over in the National League, respondents were loyal to the upstart Braves, with 146 of 252 callers (58 percent) saying Atlanta would successfully complete its last-place-to-first-place odyssey.
October 7, 1991
Perhaps because it was a weekend to pay homage to Memorial Stadium, nearly three out of four respondents to "It's Your Call" said they were not in favor of the new stadium at Camden Yards.With the impending layoff of 1,766 workers to help the state offset a $450 million deficit looming, 773 of 1,080 callers (72 percent) said the $105.4 million for the ballpark, though not being funded by taxpayers, could be better used elsewhere. The other 307 (28 percent) said they were in favor of the new stadium.
September 23, 1991
By nearly a 3-to-1 margin, "It's Your Call" respondents believe the basketball team Chuck Daly and the NBA is putting together for next summer's Olympics in Barcelona is a can't-miss pick for a gold medal.Of 312 callers, 226 (72.5 percent) said the team of Michael, Magic, Larry and friends can't help but bring the United States its first basketball gold medal since 1984. Eighty-six skeptics (27.5) also responded."It's Your Call" represents a sampling of opinions from certain segments of the community, but it is not balanced demographically, as would be done in a scientific public opinion poll.
April 14, 1992
Either April Fools' Day came two weeks late or "It's Your Call" respondents see the AL East race differently from most of the experts.Asked to pick where the supposedly improved Orioles would finish in the division this season, the majority (36 percent) said in last place. The other 286 of the 449 callers put the Orioles in first place (7 percent), second (9.5), third (13.5), fourth (10), fifth (12) and sixth (11 percent).The Cleveland Indians, of all people, garnered much support for winning the AL East title.