Advertisement
HomeCollectionsBomb Threats
IN THE NEWS

Bomb Threats

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
By Gregory P. Kane and Gregory P. Kane,Sun Staff Writer Sun staff writer Carol L. Bowers contributed to this article | April 27, 1995
Three teen-agers have been charged by county police this week with making bomb threats that forced the evacuation of four schools.Police said they are investigating 15 reports of false bomb threats made since the federal building in Oklahoma City was bombed last week.Two Northeast High School students were picked up yesterday a few hours after a telephone bomb threat prompted school officials to empty the school while it was searched.Tuesday, a 16-year-old Old Mill High School student was arrested at the close of school and charged with placing a call that closed that school and Old Mill Middle north and south schools Friday, county police said.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
By Joe Burris, The Baltimore Sun | May 13, 2014
Kenwood High School in Essex was evacuated early Tuesday morning due to bomb threat, but Baltimore County Police said that no such device was found and that classes resumed at around 9:45 a.m. Police reported the incident around 8:07 a.m. Kenwood enrolls 1,750 students in grades 9 through 12, according to the school website.
Advertisement
NEWS
By BRIAN SULLAM | February 22, 1998
FOOLISHNESS sometimes carries a high price. Two Anne Arundel County youths discovered that this month. For making bomb threats at their schools, a boy and a girl each have been sentenced to 2,000 hours of community service. That is the equivalent of working a full-time job for a year.In discussing the heavy penalty against these kids, a colleague argued that the Anne Arundel County Board of Education is mishandling its response to a rash of bomb threats in the schools the past year."If you had a note scrawled in red crayon, why would you treat it as a legitimate threat?"
NEWS
By Nayana Davis, The Baltimore Sun | October 4, 2013
Corrections officials have given the "all clear" and say operations at Baltimore Central Booking & Intake Center have returned to normal after a bomb threat Friday morning. The Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services announced via Twitter that the situation has been resolved. The threatening phone call came from outside the building, according to Detective Brandon Echevarria, a Baltimore police spokesman.
NEWS
By Ed Heard and Ed Heard,Sun Staff Writer | March 12, 1995
A Centennial High School senior was charged Thursday with mmaking bomb threats at four Howard County schools during the past two weeks to miss tests for which he was not prepared, police said yesterday.If he is found guilty, the 17-year-old -- whose name was not released because of his age -- could be sentenced to a juvenile detention center on the four counts of threatening the use of explosives.Police say the youth placed computer-printed notes on school doors at Centennial High School on Feb. 24 and at Burleigh Manor Middle School, Centennial Elementary School and the high school on March 6.The note left in the first case made threats against the principal and two vice principals at Centennial High School, police said.
NEWS
By JUSTIN FENTON | February 18, 2006
Two Harford County teens have been arrested and charged with making bomb threats that were phoned in to Joppatowne High School last month, police said, the second time in recent weeks that youths have been charged for such an incident. The teens, both 16, were charged with making a false report, telephone misuse and related charges, police said. One was released into the custody of his parents, while the other was placed at the Charles H. Hickey Jr. School in Baltimore County by the Department of Juvenile Services.
NEWS
By Bill Talbott and Bill Talbott,Sun Staff Writer | May 26, 1994
Two bomb threat calls prompted the evacuation of the Carroll County Courthouse buildings for more than two hours yesterday while bomb-sniffing dogs from three counties searched the facilities and found nothing.Deputy Sheriff Sgt. Richard Bader, chief of courthouse security, said about 200 employees, visitors and prisoners were evacuated after the calls were received at 1:15 p.m. and 1:23 p.m. by employees in the District Court clerk's office and the Circuit Court administrative office.Both buildings were reopened at 3:35 p.m., Sergeant Bader said.
NEWS
June 16, 1994
A 28-year-old Ellicott City woman who was arrested June 6 and accused of making bomb threats at the Carroll County Courthouse has been released from the county jail.Carroll Circuit Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. lifted the $10,000 bail on which Debra Jane Thurman had been held since her arrest and ordered the woman released on her own recognizance Tuesday, court records show.Ms. Thurman of the 9700 block of Hillsmere Road was charged with two counts of making bomb threats and two counts of telephone misuse, all misdemeanors.
NEWS
By TaNoah Morgan and TaNoah Morgan,SUN STAFF | April 22, 1997
Prompted by recent bomb threats against county schools and criticism of how administrators have dealt with those threats, county police have formed a task force that will work with county agencies to set up a uniform policy for handling such incidents.The Public and School Safety Task Force met for the first time last week -- at the same time bomb threats were being called in to Old Mill and Arundel Senior high schools.The group -- consisting of representatives from the county and Annapolis police departments, County EMS/Fire/Rescue, the Annapolis Fire Department, the Board of Education and the state's attorney's office -- is scheduled to meet again today.
NEWS
By Ed Heard and Ed Heard,Sun Staff Writer | March 7, 1995
Bomb threats at three Ellicott City schools delayed classes for about 2,500 students yesterday morning. Police dogs sniffed the abandoned buildings for explosives, but none was found, Howard County police said.School officials say the threats at Centennial High School, Centennial Lane Elementary School and Burleigh Manor Middle School come about two weeks after a morning newspaper deliverer found a threatening note attached to a door at the high school. No arrests were made in that case, police said.
NEWS
By Carrie Wells, The Baltimore Sun | August 26, 2013
After digging through trash cans and scouring with bomb-sniffing dogs, police determined that a Monday night call reporting a bomb inside Oriole Park at Camden Yards was a hoax. Police said they received the bomb threat at around 9 p.m., and determined it to be unfounded at about 11 p.m. No roads were shut down or nearby buildings evacuated because of the threat. The Baltimore Orioles were out of town for a game against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park. cwells@baltsun.com twitter.com/cwellssun
NEWS
By Justin George, The Baltimore Sun | August 7, 2013
Staffers at Rep. Elijah Cummings' Baltimore office arrived Wednesday to find gobs of putty and wiring on the door, raising fears of an explosive attack and drawing emergency crews from around the region. Though the suspicious objects turned out to be harmless, they alarmed many around the Park Avenue office of the Baltimore Democrat and spawned a criminal inquiry by the FBI. Cummings said he and his colleagues have come to expect more threats over the past few years as political discourse has grown more charged.
NEWS
By Joe Burris and Carrie Wells, The Baltimore Sun | May 16, 2013
An 18-year-old man was arrested and accused of making a false bomb threat on Thursday that targeted the Old Mill school campus in Millersville, Anne Arundel County police said. Matthew Permenter, 18, of Baltimore, was charged with disturbing school operations, threatening to detonate a destructive device and giving a false statement. It could not be immediately determined whether he had obtained a lawyer. Police spokesman Justin Mulcahy said police received a call from the school at around 8:46 a.m. A current student at the school had said a former student posted an item online that a bomb would be placed near the school and target a "Relay for Life" cancer walk event scheduled to take place on Friday evening.
NEWS
By Joe Burris, The Baltimore Sun | April 18, 2013
Anne Arundel County Police on Thursday arrested a Ferndale man who they said called 911 and threatened a bomb attack similar to that of Monday's explosions at the Boston Marathon that killed three people and left almost 200 others injured. Police officials said in a release that at approximately 12:38 p.m. on Wednesday a person called 911 and said, "I'm from Boston and I'm going to blow some more stuff up. " The caller then hung up, officials said. The dispatcher began researching calls in the area where the call originated - the 1300 block of Broadview Road, police said.
EXPLORE
April 16, 2013
The Carroll County Sheriff's Office said a 13-year-old female has been charged with making a false bomb threat in an incident that cleared West Middle School on Tuesday. Just before 11 a.m. school officials contacted the sheriff's office after a student recovered a note that included a threat to "bomb" the Westminster school. The middle school was evacuated while officers from law enforcement agencies inspected the building with explosive detection canine teams. The threat was found to be a hoax, and students were returned to class by noon.
NEWS
Baltimore Sun Media Group reports | October 24, 2012
Police presence was in evidence at five Harford County high schools Wednesday morning; however, no unusual incidents were reported in the wake of an earlier threat that a bomb had been planted in one of the schools. According to one principal, the threat said a bomb would go off at 10:30 — which did not happen. The schools the threats were made against were C. Milton Wright High School and Patterson Mill High School, both in Bel Air, Aberdeen High School and Edgewood High School and the private John Carroll School in Bel Air, according to the Harford County Sheriff's Office.
NEWS
By Joe Burris, The Baltimore Sun | October 23, 2012
The Harford County sheriff's office plans to have additional security Wednesday at five schools after a bomb threat was made. According to Capt. Keith Warner of the sheriff's office, the primary school mentioned in a threatening note was C. Milton Wright High School in Bel Air, which also had an unfounded bomb threat last week. Parents were notified Tuesday night that the school had been threatened again, according to schools spokeswoman Teri D. Kranefeld. Public high schools Aberdeen, Edgewood and Patterson Mill and the private John Carroll School were also mentioned in the note found at C. Milton Wright, Warner said.
NEWS
By Kevin Rector, The Baltimore Sun | August 15, 2012
A bomb threat at the Lowe's store at Westview Shopping Center in Catonsville caused the store to be evacuated Wednesday afternoon, Baltimore County police said. An unidentified person called the store in the 5900 block of Baltimore National Pike just after 4 p.m. and said there was a bomb in the store, and store management immediately evacuated the building, police said. Police responded shortly after with bomb-sniffing dogs, said Louise Rogers-Feher, a Baltimore County police spokeswoman.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.