Advertisement
HomeCollectionsAbuse
IN THE NEWS

Abuse

NEWS
By Nayana Davis, The Baltimore Sun | May 29, 2014
A 39-year-old man was found guilty Wednesday of sexually abusing a teenage girl in Crofton between 2010 and 2012, according to the county's State's Attorney's Office. John Michael Winner was found guilty of one count of sex abuse of a minor and four counts of second-degree forcible rape, according to a news release. The State's Attorney's Office had alleged that over a two-year span between spring 2010 and late fall 2012, Winner abused the girl at two Crofton residences. Winner has denied the charges, according to The Capital.
Advertisement
NEWS
By Yvonne Wenger, The Baltimore Sun | May 23, 2013
Kelley Currin recalled dancing with her longtime swimming coach, Rick Curl, as a teenage girl the night of his wedding some 30 years ago. She wore a pink dress, held on too long and whispered in his ear, "I hate you. " She told Montgomery County Circuit Judge Marielsa A. Bernard on Thursday how she fell in love with Curl, who was then 33, before her 13th birthday in the early 1980s. She recounted the details of their first kiss near a water fountain at Georgetown Preparatory School and the way years of sexual abuse altered the trajectory of her life.
NEWS
July 4, 2013
I like Elmo as much as anyone else, but Kevin Clash was not "cleared of sexual abuse claims" as some in the media have stated ("3 sex-abuse suits against Clash, Elmo's voice, tossed," July 2). He was not exonerated or proven not guilty. The plaintiffs did not recant. The cases were dismissed in New York because the statute of limitations for civil damages in cases of sexual abuse of a minor must be brought within five years of the sexual offense. In New York, if someone doesn't heal enough within five years to be ready to identify their experience as abuse, understand its impact, realize they are not at fault, dissolve the shame they carry, feel their anger, find an attorney, and be prepared to confront their perpetrator and his or her attorney in public, they are denied their day in court.
NEWS
By Carrie Wells, The Baltimore Sun | August 22, 2013
A former U.S. Embassy employee from the Philippines convicted of sexual abuse that took place in Baltimore was sentenced to five years in prison Thursday. Rosauro Pacubas, 58, traveled with his wife and a victim to Baltimore in March 2012, where the abuse took place in a hotel, federal prosecutors said. The victim, whose age and gender were not released, was traveling with Pacubas so that she could be evaluated for an undisclosed medical condition at a Baltimore hospital, federal prosecutors said.
NEWS
July 15, 2014
Anne Arundel County police say a 50-year-old Glen Burnie man has been charged with abuse of a vulnerable adult based on allegations he inappropriately touched a 21-year-old man. Police say on Monday they were called to Opportunity Builders, at 8855 Veterans Highway in Millersville, for a report of vulnerable adult abuse. A 21-year-old diagnosed with autism said he was sexually abused by a staff member sometime between May 15 and June 15. The man told detectives the staff member touched him sexually while he was using a bathroom at the center.
NEWS
By Pamela Wood, The Baltimore Sun | October 28, 2013
Edgewater resident John Charles Villers-Farrow was sentenced Monday in Anne Arundel Circuit Court to 10 years in prison for sexually abusing two boys from his neighborhood over a period of several years. "These were not one-time offenses," Judge Laura S. Kiessling said. "This was crime after crime. This was day after day. This was month after month. This was year after year. " Villers-Farrow, 67, was charged last year with multiple counts of sexual abuse and other charges. In July, he entered an Alford plea to two counts of sexual assault of a minor.
NEWS
By Mary Gail Hare, The Baltimore Sun | April 12, 2011
A retired Episcopal priest, whose last assignment was as the vicar at a church in northern Harford County, pleaded guilty last week to sexually abusing two young girls in Cecil County. The Rev. Donald W. Belcher, 82, entered an Alford plea on two counts of sexual abuse of minors in Cecil County Circuit Court. An Alford plea allows a defendant to maintain his innocence while acknowledging that the state has enough evidence to convict him. Belcher was released on $100,000 bond and is awaiting a June 28 sentencing, in which he could receive 25 years on each count, to be served consecutively, said Kevin Urick, assistant state's attorney for Cecil County.
NEWS
By Scott Shane and Scott Shane,Staff Writer Staff writer William F. Zorzi Jr. contributed to this article | September 5, 1993
As he sat through a painful hearing in a Towson courtroom two days after Christmas in 1988, the Rev. Thomas W. Smith had a fearful secret.Father Smith, 64, watched as his former associate pastor, the Rev. Marion F. Helowicz, 43, pleaded guilty to sexually abusing a teen-age boy at St. Stephen Roman Catholic Church in Bradshaw. The defendant's lawyer told the judge that Father Smith had been "aghast" at the charges and "couldn't fathom that this had occurred."Father Helowicz's disgrace was in the next day's newspaper, his career as a priest shattered.
NEWS
By Alison Knezevich, The Baltimore Sun | October 25, 2013
A Baltimore man who once volunteered for a fire company in Anne Arundel County was arrested Wednesday on multiple sex abuse charges, county police said. Preston Lamont Scott II, 31, is accused of abusing two children he knew. Police did not release the children's ages, gender or relationship to Scott to protect their identity. The investigation began in August. Charges against Scott include second-degree child abuse, sex abuse of a minor, and a child pornography charge. Scott organized monthly dances for teenagers as fundraisers for the Ferndale Volunteer Fire Company, police said.
NEWS
By Jessica Anderson, The Baltimore Sun | June 24, 2013
A former firefighter for the Lansdowne Volunteer Fire Department received a 15-year sentence Monday for sexually abusing a teenage boy prosecutors said he mentored in a training program at the station. Anthony M. Cottle, 24, who worked with youth the station, is also awaiting sentencing in federal court on related charges. His attorney, John Grason Turnbull III, declined to comment Monday. Prosecutors said Cottle engaged in sexual acts with the boy numerous times, sometimes videotaping their encounters, and had moved in with the boy and his mother after she believed Cottle would be a positive male role model.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.