Trial of man accused in daughter's abduction rescheduled to spring

October 09, 2014|By Alison Knezevich | The Baltimore Sun

The trial for the man who authorities alleged abducted his daughter after killing her mother has been postponed until next spring, his lawyer said Thursday.

Timothy Virts, 38, faces first-degree murder and kidnapping charges. His trial had been scheduled for next week, but his defense attorney sought a delay as Virts undergoes mental evaluation.

Virts is accused of killing Bobbie Jo Cortez in their Dundalk home, then abducting their 11-year-old daughter, sparking a multi-state manhunt that ended when the father and daughter were found in South Carolina.

He entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity in June. Virts had been waiting for a bed at Clifton T. Perkins Hospital Center, and was transported to the psychiatric facility in Jessup on Thursday, said defense attorney Mark Van Bavel.

Van Bavel said the trial is now scheduled for April.

alisonk@baltsun.com

aliknez@twitter.com

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.