Attorneys bring courtroom experience to race for Arundel state's attorney

October 09, 2014|By Pamela Wood | The Baltimore Sun

For the first time in decades, the job of Anne Arundel County's top prosecutor is up for grabs, as two hard-charging lawyers vie to become the elected replacement for longtime State's Attorney Frank R. Weathersbee.

Democrat Anne Colt Leitess was appointed as state's attorney last summer when Weathersbee retired after 25 years in office. Leitess is being challenged by Republican Wes Adams, a homicide prosecutor who works in Prince George's County.

Both are career prosecutors and self-described "trial dogs" who relish a courtroom fight. And both are applying their prosecutorial drive to their campaigns.

"It's not just about trying cases. It's about integrity and leadership," Leitess said.

Adams got into this year's race after being passed over for the job last year when Leitess was appointed.

"I have a very broad range of experience prosecuting in two very difficult jurisdictions," he said. "I thought I could help."

As the Nov. 4 general election approaches, the two have sharpened their attacks. Facing off at a forum recently, they even disagreed over who should go first when making closing remarks.

Both have lengthy records as prosecutors — Leitess in Anne Arundel County and Adams in Baltimore City and Prince George's County.

Leitess personally prosecuted murder cases this year as she juggled trials and running the 110-employee state's attorney's office.

"I love this job. I love this work. I love representing the people in court," Leitess said.

In February, a jury convicted Michael Stahlnecker of Crofton in the fatal shooting of John Patrick Ryan of Frederick over a drug dispute. Stahlnecker was sentenced to life in prison plus 20 years. He is appealing his conviction. And in May, a jury convicted Victor Harper of Glen Burnie of second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of his girlfriend's ex-husband, Ray Collignon, during a fight. Harper was sentenced to 30 years.

Adams, too, has tallied many murder convictions and is head of the homicide division for the Prince George's County state's attorney's office. Most recently, he won a murder conviction against Travon Bennett, who fatally shot a high school student during a botched robbery in Capitol Heights in 2012. In another case he prosecuted in the spring, Darrell Lynn Bellard was found guilty in Prince George's of the execution-style killing of two women and two children, apparently related to a drug dispute.

When Adams was an assistant state's attorney in Baltimore, he helped push for a law to increase penalties for witness intimidation, a major obstacle to prosecuting crimes in the city.

"Being a prosecutor is about doing justice every day," Adams said.

Adams and Leitess have pointed out one another's missteps in the past year.

In Anne Arundel, Matthew Pinkerton — a Glen Burnie man who admitted shooting his wife's ex-lover, Kendall Green, last year — was acquitted by a county judge in the middle of his murder trial in June. And a county jury returned a not-guilty verdict in July for Joseph Lamont Walker, an off-duty New Jersey detective who fatally shot fellow motorist Joseph Dale Harvey Jr. during a road-rage dispute last year.

Leitess acknowledged she's come under criticism in these and other cases, sometimes from both sides in the same case, she said. But she said her office can't operate based on the wishes of the public; rather, she pursues all credible cases.

"People aren't always going to be happy, but I have to sleep at night," she said. "You present the facts and the law to a judge and a jury, and they decide."

Leitess' office also came under scrutiny during a murder case this year when the defense attorney alleged that prosecutors didn't turn over all relevant police reports in a timely fashion. A judge ordered the state's attorney's office to pay $1,620 to cover the cost of bringing in jurors for the day.

Leitess said the problem originated with the Montgomery County police, not her office, and has appealed the judge's order.

Adams, likewise, has a recent murder case that's drawn scrutiny. In 2008, police and prosecutors in Prince George's said, a teenager named Tommy Whack lured a man to what the man thought was a sexual encounter in a car behind a school, then robbed and killed him.

Whack was found guilty in 2010 and sentenced to 30 years in prison, but succeeded in having his conviction overturned. When the case returned to Adams this year, he negotiated a plea deal that gave Whack 11 years in prison.

Leitess argues Whack might be able to get out soon because he's already served more than half of the 11-year sentence, and said Adams "owes it to society to try the case again."

Adams said he made a difficult choice to go with the plea deal instead of risking another trial, a decision he said was approved by the victim's family.

"I'd rather take the guarantee that he was held accountable," Adams said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.