Boys' Latin football beats Pallotti, 43-22

September 27, 2014|From Sun staff reports

The host Boys' Latin football team overcame a slow start, put up three touchdowns and a field goal in the second quarter and stayed in front of St. Vincent Pallotti the rest of the way to win, 43-22, at J. Duncan Smith Field on Saturday.

The Lakers (3-1) established field possession early, containing the Panthers (5-2), but were unable to score until William Wingo picked off Mason Clark's pass over the middle for a 10-yard return for a touchdown with 4:52 left in the first quarter. Dom Maggio's extra-point attempt gave Boys' Latin a 7-0 lead.

Pallotti's ensuing drive was helped by two face-mask calls against the Lakers, and Clark completed a 55-yard touchdown pass to Cameron Sullivan-Brown. James Patterson ran in for the two-point conversion and an 8-7 Pallotti lead with 3:06 left in the first quarter.

The second quarter was all Boys' Latin as Logan Wisnauskas found his rhythm, connecting with Davy Lizana during a three-passing play drive, all to Lizana, for a 14-8 lead. Jerel Archer had a 10-yard run to score with 4:51 left in the first half and Wisnauskas found Gavin Callahan with 1:02 remaining for a 28-8 lead.

The Lakers recovered a fumble on the Pallotti 15-yard line and Maggio kicked a field goal with 17 seconds left for a 31-8 halftime lead.

The Panthers tried to use trick plays and fourth-and-longs to get back in the game in the second half, but the effort came up short. Sullivan-Brown caught two touchdown passes in the third quarter, but Archer responded with a 31-yard touchdown run.

La Salle (Pa.) 31, No. 1 McDonogh 20: Scott MacDonald kicked a field goal to give the visiting Eagles (2-2) a 20-17 lead with 7:50 left in a game played at Plymouth Whitemarsh. But the Explorers (4-1) answered when Kyle Shurmur rushed for one touchdown and threw for another.

In the second quarter, McDonogh's Eric Burrell caught a touchdown pass and had an interception that set up a field goal for a 17-14 halftime lead.

La Salle is a 14-time Philadelphia Catholic League champion.

No. 7 Broadneck 39, Southern 7: Bruins coach Rob Harris watched his team fumble three times in the first half to help keep the Bulldogs in the game. His mood was greatly improved after Broadneck scored 22 third-quarter points to blow the game open.

"That second quarter was very frustrating. We were moving the ball and moving the ball, and then we'd fumble," Harris said. "We have to take care of that little stuff. You can't win championships doing that."

Once they started taking care of the ball, the Bruins took command in the second half. They scored on all four of their second-half drives, including touchdowns on the first three. Canaan Gebele hit Alec Ruden for a 14-yard score, Bill Watts — who lost one of the first-half fumbles — scored from 31 yards and freshman Taylor Bohanan scored his first career touchdown on a 2-yard run in the final minute of the third quarter.

"In the second half, we came out and we executed," Harris said. "We didn't put the ball on the ground."

Will Schwob was in the Southern backfield on just about every pass play in the first half.

—Bob Hough,

Baltimore Sun Media Group

Field hockey

Cape Henlopen (Del.) 3, No. 6 Severna Park 0: The host Vikings (5-0) proved to be too much for the Falcons (7-2). Cape Henlopen's Samantha Broadhurst scored twice.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.