Montgomery County police continue search for missing toddlers

Mother tells police the 'kids are safe,' but doesn't disclose their whereabouts

(Montgomery County police )
September 14, 2014|The Washington Post and Staff Reports

Montgomery County police Sunday continue to search for two young children who went missing with their mother earlier this week.

The mother, Catherine Hoggle, was found Friday without the toddlers. Despite questioning, Hoggle has not helped police find the children.

"Catherine Hoggle remains in police custody while detectives continue to interview her," Capt. Paul Starks, a police spokesman, said Saturday morning. "The welfare and location of the children remain our primary concern. They have not been located."

Police said they would search Sunday eight areas Sunday in the Darnestown area. Police are asking anyone with information or tips to call 911.

Hoggle was found late Friday, looking disheveled, authorities said. Police think Hoggle had spent the last few days on the street.

A telephone tip at about 11:15 p.m. to the 911 center led officers to the woman, Starks said.

The children, Sarah Hoggle, 3, and her brother Jacob, 2, "were not with her," the spokesman said. When questioned by police, Hoggle implied that the children are alive, at one point saying, the "kids are safe," but police have been unable to verify her statement. Hoggle would not tell detectives where the children are, authorities said. Police also said Hoggle altered her appearance, changing the look of her hair.

All three had been objects of an intensive search in the county for the past several days.

Hoggle has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia.

She and Troy Turner had lived with their three children in an apartment in Clarksburg in a life that has been described as relatively uneventful until Sunday.

But that afternoon, with Turner at work, Hoggle took the children to her mother's home nearby. At one point, she left with Jacob and returned without him. She said she had left him at a friend's home, but it was later learned that he had not been there.

She eventually returned to her apartment with Sarah and the older boy. The next morning, she said she had taken Jacob and Sarah to a day-care program, but later could not describe the program clearly.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.