Nate Watkins leads No. 12 Broadneck past Meade, 3-2, in boys soccer

Senior transfer's three goals boost Bruins to victory in their season opener Tuesday

September 09, 2014|By Glenn Graham, The Baltimore Sun

Broadneck senior forward Nate Watkins made quite the impression with his new team in the No. 12 Bruins' season opener against Meade on Tuesday, throwing in some last-minute heroics for good measure.

A transfer from Wisconsin, he put away a centering pass from fellow senior Jeff Horst with 2:24 to play — his third goal of the game — to lift Broadneck to a 3-2 win over the visiting Mustangs.

Watkins scored his first two goals late in the first half to give the Bruins (1-0) a 2-1 halftime lead, but the Mustangs tied the game early in the second half and had more chances to grab control before Watkins' final tally. Horst, who also assisted the Bruins' first goal, sent a ball to the far post for Watkins to tap in the winner.

"It's all teamwork," said Watkins, who had previously just played club ball. "I came from Wisconsin, so I didn't know what to expect, but we've been working hard all summer."

The Mustangs (1-1) have been staying close with the top teams in Anne Arundel County in recent years, and they seemed set to break through Tuesday. Senior midfielder Jordan Wright gave Meade a 1-0 lead 14 minutes into play before Watkins got going later in the first half.

After taking a through ball from Horst, Watkins sidestepped a defender to cut to the middle before unleashing a wicked shot from 18 yards that found the lower right corner to tie the game with 9:41 to play. Less than five minutes later, he gave the Bruins a 2-1 lead just before the break.

But the Mustangs weren't deterred, pressing for much of the second half and being rewarded when senior Jerry Washington found time and space on the right side and chipped a shot over drawn-out goalkeeper Hunter Davis 10 minutes after halftime.

Meade's speed and skill up front continued to create scoring opportunities, but the Mustangs couldn't get anything more past Davis, who finished with seven saves.

With 3:30 to play, senior Deion Hunter broke free down the right side, but Davis aggressively took his angle away and smothered his shot. Shortly afterward, Watkins put the Bruins ahead for good. Hunter had one last chance for Meade, with his left-footed take from 20 yards going just wide before the final whistle.

"It's pretty simple — we did everything but put the ball away," Meade coach Michael Banach said. "I give it to Broadneck, they stuck in there in the second half and were able to find an opening. But for us, it's just about finishing the job. We created plenty of scoring chances, stayed with our game plan, and it's just a matter of finishing the chances."

Boys soccer

12 Broadneck 3, Meade 2

Goals: M – Wright, Washington; B – Watkins 3

Assists: B – Horst 2, Ziemer

Saves: M – Castillo 4; B – H. Davis 7.

Half: B, 2-1

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.