Ray Rice apologizes to wife and all domestic violence victims in first comments since suspension

Ravens running back took questions from reporters for the first time since his February arrest

July 31, 2014|By Jeff Zrebiec | The Baltimore Sun

Composed and seemingly contrite, Ravens running back Ray Rice apologized to his wife, Janay, and insisted that their physical altercation in February was a one-time incident from which he has grown. He also vowed to become a vocal advocate against domestic violence when the time is right.

Taking questions from reporters Thursday for the first time since he was arrested and accused of striking his then-fiancee unconscious at an Atlantic City, N.J., casino in February, Rice said many of the things that people hoped to hear when he broke his silence in May.

“My actions that night were totally inexcusable,” Rice said in Thursday's news conference, held after the team's training camp practice. “That night, I just replay over and over in my head. That's not me. My actions were inexcusable, and that's something I have to live with the rest of my life.”

As Rice and the Ravens aimed to close this chapter, three U.S. senators sent letters Thursday to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome urging them to increase the league's two-game suspension of Rice and to better address domestic violence.

Rice and the suspension levied last week have dominated the NFL headlines early in training camp, with the league and the Ravens organization receiving widespread criticism for their handling of the situation.

Thursday's news conference, which marked the first time Rice has spoken publicly since the suspension was announced last week, brought national media outlets including CNN, ESPN and CBS to the Ravens' Owings Mills training facility.

With his wife watching from the balcony above and about 25 of his teammates standing behind the assembled media, Rice, 27, spoke for more than 17 minutes. He wouldn't discuss the details of what happened in the elevator on the February night, his actions resulting in a felony aggravated-assault charge. Rice ultimately was accepted into a diversionary program that allowed him to avoid jail time and potentially get the charge expunged from his record.

“I just don't want to keep reliving the incident,” Rice said. “I'm trying to move forward, and every time I have to keep reliving it, it doesn't bring any good to me. … I take full responsibility for what happened. My wife can do no wrong. What happened that night was something that should've never happened.”

Because of the suspension for violating the NFL's personal-conduct policy, Rice, will be sidelined for regular-season games against the Cincinnati Bengals and Pittsburgh Steelers and lose approximately $529,000 in wages. Still, Goodell, who is scheduled to speak to reporters today in Canton, Ohio, as part of Hall of Fame induction weekend, has been accused of being far too lenient with Rice and on domestic violence as a whole.

The letter sent to the commissioner Thursday by Sens. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn), and Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.) said “the decision to suspend Mr. Rice for a mere two games sends the inescapable message that the NFL does not take domestic or intimate-partner violence with the seriousness they deserve. As has been widely pointed out, the NFL has imposed longer suspensions for offenses such as non-violent breaches of banned-substances policies and breaking NCAA rules by selling memorabilia. Both on its own and in comparison to these other cases, Mr. Rice's suspension reflects a disturbingly lenient, even cavalier attitude towards violence against women.”

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said, “We look forward to responding to the letter.” A Ravens official said the team was aware of the letter.

The NFL has also been criticized for having Palmer with Rice when he met with Goodell in mid-June. According to a league source, the NFL was told that she would be attending by Heather McPhee, a general counsel for the NFL Players Association. McPhee also participated.

Rice said Thursday that he was ready to accept whatever punishment the NFL decided on.

“I don't have any control over what the punishment was. I'm being punished on a day-to-day basis,” Rice said. “No football games or no money was going to determine what I have to live with for the rest of my life. ... It hurts me that I can't go out there and play football, but it hurts more that I've got to be a father and explain what happened to my [2-year-old] daughter. I think the punishment was the punishment, and I never planned on appealing. Whether it's two games, four games, six games, eight games, I'm trying to own my actions and be a man about it and take whatever is given to me.”

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.