Columbia mall murder-suicide struck the physical heart of community

Killings seen as 'a loss of innocence for Columbia'

February 01, 2014|By Arthur Hirsch, The Baltimore Sun

In the days after a gunman killed two people and himself at The Mall in Columbia, the Nail Trix salon heard from many nervous customers canceling appointments.

Manicurist Van Le took several of those calls, struck 15 appointments off his calendar and listened as people explained their reluctance to return, at least for the moment. "They said they do not feel comfortable," said Le, who has worked there for eight years.

"They don't say when they'll come back, but they say they'll come."

There's no telling how long it will take for the mall to fully return to the role it has played in Columbia since it opened in August 1971, when it soon became the community gathering place that developer James Rouse envisioned for his new town.

The shooting occurred as Columbia is undergoing the largest redevelopment since it first welcomed residents in 1967. Apartments are going up next to the mall, a Whole Foods is due to open this summer and a Petit Louis restaurant is set to open Saturday across Little Patuxent Parkway. Nearby Symphony Woods also is scheduled for a remake — all part of a 30-year plan to make the Town Center more pedestrian-friendly, more urban than suburban.

The makeover is expected to bring thousands of new residents within walking distance of the mall, underscoring its role as a place where people not only shop but bring their children to play, where teens hang out after school and get their first part-time jobs, where holidays are celebrated.

For now, though, Columbia lies under a shadow.

The killings represent "a loss of innocence for Columbia," said Suzanne Waller, a 45-year resident who represents the Town Center on the board of the Columbia Association, the governing organization for the town of 100,000 people. "It's going to take some time for people to get comfortable with the mall."

Phil Nelson, president of the Columbia Association, said, "Initially, people will be more mindful of their surroundings in the wake of this tragedy," but he predicted that the mall would soon return to being a community gathering place.

A spokesman for General Growth Properties, which owns the mall, declined to comment on the financial impact, but several store employees said business has been slow — even for January, usually a light shopping month.

"People are still scared to come," said Nin Song, assistant manager of the Lucaya women's clothing store. She said she was awaiting the weekend to have a better gauge on shoppers. She said she has been reassured by an increase in uniformed security.

The mall is planning a moment of silence on Saturday at the same time shots were fired a week ago.

Tony Foreman, a Baltimore restaurateur and co-owner of Petit Louis, said he did not expect the shooting to affect the opening. Foreman, who was in the mall when the shooting occurred, said he thought the attack was a random act and would not deter people from coming.

Serita Weathersby, a customer who did keep her appointment at Nail Trix one evening this week, said that when she and her husband pulled into the parking lot, she was struck by how empty it was.

"Typically, we're waiting for the housewives to leave so we can get a parking space," said Weathersby, a real estate agent who works nearby and lives in Mount Airy. The mall, she said, "was like a ghost town."

Mark Millman, CEO and founder of the Millman Search Group of Owings Mills, who has been consulting for shopping centers for more than three decades, said crowds might not return until spring — when the retail sector generally sees an uptick. He noted that while some malls develop a reputation for crime, The Mall in Columbia has long had a reputation for safety.

"This is a very highly isolated incident," he said. "Over time, it won't be forgotten but it will fade away."

Millman mentioned a shooting at a mall in Portland, Ore., in 2012, in which a gunman killed two people and then himself. After six or eight weeks, he said, the mall increased advertising and emphasized security efforts.

"The crowds came back," he said. "The numbers were consistent with what they were prior to the incident."

Last Saturday's killings were not the first violent crimes committed at The Mall in Columbia. But they are the most serious by far, and the first to occur inside the well-appointed space, with its old-fashioned standing clock and fountain meant to evoke the comfort of a town square.

In January 2008, a 17-year-old boy was stabbed and seriously injured in the parking lot outside JC Penney in an apparent dispute over a drug deal. In 2007, a man was charged with attempted second-degree murder in a stabbing at a bus stop near the mall. In 2006, a man attempted to steal a car and held a woman at knifepoint in the parking lot.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.