Harry Wilgar, railroad foreman

He had worked at B&O's Riverside Roundhouse

  • Harry Wilgar
Harry Wilgar (Baltimore Sun )
December 31, 2013|By Jacques Kelly, The Baltimore Sun

Harry M. Wilgar Jr., a retired Baltimore & Ohio Railroad foreman at the Riverside roundhouse, died of lung disease Dec. 24 at his Westview Park home. He was 85.

Born in Baltimore and raised on Harlem Avenue, he attended the old St. Martin's School and was a 1947 graduate of Mount St. Joseph High School, where he rowed crew. His father, Harry M. Wilgar Sr., was also a B&O foreman. His mother, the former Marie Corron, was a homemaker.

He joined the railroad and worked for its successors until he retired in 1988. He began as a machinist at the old Mount Clare shops and retired as roundhouse foreman at the Riverside operation in Locust Point. He regularly serviced locomotives used on the commuter Camden Line.

After retirement, Mr. Wilgar became a volunteer at the B&O Museum in Southwest Baltimore.

"He was a great resource for the museum," said George Harwood, a museum employee who works in locomotive restoration. "He knew what he would be looking at and had an appreciation for the museum's work. He also knew a lot about air brakes and how they work. He helped me."

Mr. Wilgar traveled extensively throughout the country to other rail museums. He was also an umpire for girls softball teams in Catonsville and volunteered in the Memorial Stadium press box.

A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 9 a.m. Friday at St. Agnes Roman Catholic Church, 5422 Old Frederick Road in Catonsville, where he was a member.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, the former Anna Lee Beane; three daughters, Lisa Honsberger of Woodbine, Paula Greenway of Baltimore and Ellen Wilgar of Owings Mills; and 10 grandchildren.


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.