Highland Presbyterian Church dedicates new facility

  • Pictured at the ceremony to dedicate the new facility at Highland Presbyterian Church are, front row, Malcolm Whyte; and back row from left, Pastor Jack Carlson, David Thompson, Doss Sams, Donald Scarborough, George Patrinicola, Wilson Tharpe and Claudia Scarborough.
Pictured at the ceremony to dedicate the new facility at Highland…
December 16, 2013

Highland Presbyterian Church dedicated its newly-completed construction on Sunday, Dec. 8. Leaders of the church, the contractor and a representative of the Presbytery of Baltimore were in attendance as the congregation worshiped together, had a lunch and heard remarks from dignitaries before formally dedicating the facility.

In spite of the rapidly-accumulating snow, more than 90 people worshiped at 10 a.m. and more than 80 stayed for the luncheon and program.

Among those in attendance were Donald Scarborough of D & D Scarborough, contractors, and the Rev. William Nickels, associate general Presbyter of the Presbytery of Baltimore. The church's choir and praise team sang and the congregation joined in a litany of thanksgiving for all those involved in the project.

Following the program, Construction Chairperson George Patrinicola and Capital Campaign Co-Chairs Wilson Tharpe and Claudia Scarborough presented Scarborough with the final payment for the new facilities, which include two stories of modern bathrooms and storage space, a kitchen pantry and an elevator. The addition to the building is expected to improve the church's ability to provide hospitality and to offer ministry to members and the community.

The church was founded in 1890 and will celebrate its 125th anniversary in 2015. Rev. John V. Carlson has been pastor since 2003.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.