Richard A. "Dick" Simmons, police officer

He had been a founder and first president of city's FOP

August 16, 2013|By Frederick N. Rasmussen, The Baltimore Sun

Richard A. "Dick" Simmons, a retired Baltimore police officer who was a founder and first president of the Baltimore City Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 3, died Tuesday of complications from an aneurysm at the University of Maryland Medical Center. He was 84.

Mr. Simmons was born and raised in Chicago, where he graduated from high school.

"Because of the Depression, his parents couldn't afford to keep him, and when he was 4 years old they placed him in Lawrence Hall, a home for boys that was run by an Episcopal priest," said his daughter, Janet Embleton of Franklin, W.Va.

"When he was 15, he ran away and lied about his age and then joined the merchant marine and then the Navy. He left the Navy in the 1950s, when his ship docked in Baltimore and he stayed," she said.

Mr. Simmons joined the Baltimore Police Department in 1955. At his retirement in 1979, he was working at police headquarters as a detective assigned to the robbery squad.

After leaving the department, he worked for a decade as an investigator for the Maryland attorney general's office until retiring for a second time in 1995.

He was a founder in 1966 of the Baltimore City Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 3 and served as the organization's first president until 1973. He was also its first national trustee to the Fraternal Order of Police Grand Lodge.

The Westminster resident enjoyed stamp collecting, gardening and fishing. He was a world traveler.

He was a member of Ascension Episcopal Church in Westminster.

His wife of 29 years, the former Anne Ningurd, died in 1982. His second wife of 19 years, the former Naomi Teeter, died in 2004.

A memorial service will be held at 8 p.m. Sunday at the Fletcher Funeral Home, 254 E. Main St., Westminster.

In addition to his daughter, Mr. Simmons is survived by two grandchildren and his companion, Eve McGrory of Hagerstown. His son, Michael Simmons, drowned in 1981.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.