Smoke causes brief evacuation at Southampton Middle Tuesday

Malfunctioning roof fan blamed for problem; class disruptions called minimal

  • Firefighters were called to Southampton Middle School Tuesday afternoon after a report of smoke coming from the roof. While firefighters searched and found no fire, students and staff got to enjoy the nice weather outside for a few moments.
Firefighters were called to Southampton Middle School Tuesday… (MATT BUTTON | AEGIS STAFF,…)

A report of smoke coming from the roof forced a brief evacuation of Southampton Middle School in Bel Air Tuesday.

Around 2:30 p.m., the Harford County 911 Center dispatched fire equipment to the school in the 1200 block of Moores Mill Road to investigate a report of smoke coming from the roof.

The Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company responded; however, the first emergency responder to the scene reported no fire or smoke evident upon arrival, according to monitored broadcasts.

Meanwhile, students and staff were evacuated and stood outside in the warm afternoon sunshine, while a fire crew climbed around on the roof but found nothing. The fire units left a short time later.

The smoke originated in a fan on the roof of the building, according to Teri Kranefeld, director of communications for Harford County Public Schools.

"The bearings in the fan locked up, causing the smoke," Kranefeld said in an e-mail Tuesday evening. "Students remained outside while the smoke was cleared from the building. After the fire department deemed the building safe, students returned to class."

The school system's facilities department remained on site to make repairs, Kranefeld said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.