Harford deputy fires gun at man who rear-ended him in Norrisville, fled

Driver allegedly dragged deputy when he questioned him about the crash

April 09, 2013|BY ERIKA BUTLER | ebutler@theaegis.com

An off-duty Harford County sheriff’s deputy fired his service weapon at a man who he said became combative and then fled after the man rear-ended the deputy's vehicle, the Sheriff's Office said Monday night.

The altercation led to a chase that ended with the man crashing his vehicle and then being arrested after a foot chase.

A little before 5 p.m., an off-duty deputy assigned to the sheriff’s office Violent Crimes Task Force, had just ended his shift and was headed home, according to Eddie Hopkins, spokesman for the Sheriff’s Office. The eight-year veteran, whose name Hopkins declined to release, was headed north on Route 23 (Norrisville Road) and was stopping behind a car that was turning left onto White Hall Road, Hopkins said.

As the deputy came to a stop, his unmarked sheriff's car was rear-ended by a black Toyota 4Runner, according to Hopkins. The driver has been identified as William Redding Harvey V, 33, of the 1600 block of Dulaney Drive in Jarrettsville. 

The deputy, who was in plain clothes, got out of his car and showed his badge as he went to talk to the driver of the 4Runner about the crash, Hopkins said.

It’s unclear what happened next, Hopkins said, but “there was some indication to the deputy he [the other driver] wasn’t going to be cooperative.”

The deputy told investigators he had reason to believe Harvey was planning to flee the scene, at which point the deputy told Harvey he would be arrested if he did.

“We believe the deputy tried to reach into the car to bring the suspect out of the car,” Hopkins said.

Harvey is alleged to have started to pull away from the deputy, who was still at the driver’s side door and the deputy was “dragged or caught up in the door, and the car pulled away with the deputy,” Hopkins said.

At some point, the off-duty deputy got caught up in the vehicle's movements as Redding tried to pull away and "concerned for his safety and believed that he was at risk of being seriously injured or killed," fired his weapon, according to a news release. investigators are unsure how many shots were fired and what was hit when it was fired, Hopkins said.

“All we know is that it was fired,” he said of the weapon.

According to Hopkins, Harvey pulled away and sped off west on Route 23. The deputy got back in his car and chased the Toyota, which turned left onto Route 439 into Baltimore County and then tried to make a right turn onto a side street, Hopkins said.

Harvey lost control of the 4Runner and rolled the vehicle, then tried to run from the off-duty deputy, who chased and caught up to him. The deputy then held Harvey at gunpoint until backup deputies arrived, Hopkins said.

Harvey was taken to Upper Chesapeake Medical Center in Bel Air with minor injuries and was still being evaluated at the hospital late Monday evening.

Hopkins initially said investigators had questions about the driver's identity and the license plates on the car.

In a follow-up news release, Hopkins said arrest warrants have been issued for Harvey charging him with second-degree assault, resisting arrest, obstructing and hindering police, failure to obey a lawful order of a police officer. He is also facing additional traffic charges, according to the release. 

The 37-year-old deputy was taken to St. Joseph Medical Center in Towson with minor injuries and was later released. He has been placed on paid administrative leave pending the investigation, Hopkins said.

Please check back with www.exploreharford.com for updates to this story.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.