McDonogh girls lacrosse wins Fight for 5 lacrosse tournament

Mt. Hebron, Manchester Valley fall to McDonogh

April 06, 2013|By Jeff Seidel, For The Baltimore Sun

The McDonogh girls endured a very busy week. But the top-ranked Eagles just kept on winning.

McDonogh routed Manchester Valley, 21-6, on Saturday morning in the first round of the Fight for 5 lacrosse tournament hosted by Mount Hebron at Cedar Lane Park in Columbia. A few hours later, the Eagles scored their fifth win in five days and captured the tournament title with an 11-5 victory over No. 7 Mount Hebron.

The two wins improved McDonogh to 11-0 and stretched its winning streak to 80games, tops in the nation. In addition, the Eagles are ranked first in US Lacrosse's national high school poll released in late March.

McDonogh and Mount Hebron (13-4 over Hereford) reached the final after easy first-round victories. This was a matchup most expected and were anticipating, since McDonogh coach Chris Robinson used to be at Mount Hebron.

Robinson guided the Vikings to five state titles from 1996 to 2001, and this was the first time he had coached against them. In addition, his brother, Scott Robinson, is a McDonogh assistant while still working at Mount Hebron.

"It's a nice win with all the history," Chris Robinson said. "It's been awhile. It was more Scott than me because he's still there."

Mount Hebron coach Trish Derwart played for Robinson, and the McDonogh players knew what this matchup could mean to both coaches.

"We wanted to win this for them," McDonogh's Sammie Burgess said. "We knew they'd been thinking about this game forever, especially Scott."

McDonogh needed to overcome a slow start against a Mount Hebron team that did a good job of controlling the pace.

Mount Hebron scored the game's first goal and slowed the pace to a crawl throughout the first part of the first half. But penalties hurt the Vikings and helped McDonogh score seven consecutive goals and take command.

"McDonogh is just fierce in transition," Derwart said. "We knew we had to [slow them]."

The Eagles took advantage of penalties to get four extra-man goals in the game. In addition, McDonogh had plenty of balance on offense as nine players scored goals.

Megan Whittle led the way with two goals and one assist. Burgess also scored two goals, and seven other players each pitched in with one goal.

McDonogh took the lead for good when Burgess made a nice dodge and shot with 17:02 left in the first half. That broke a 1-1 tie, but the Eagles needed more than six minutes to score again.

Whittle took a nice pass from Maggie Preas to give McDonogh a 3-1 lead with 10:41 left in the half. The Eagles then broke it open with three goals in a stretch of 2:01 for a 6-1 lead.

Casey Black started the run on a goal with 10:04 left. Burgess then got a free-position shot with 8:44 remaining, and Posey Valis did the same thing 41 seconds later. Anne Smith added a goal with 41.8 seconds left in the half for a 7-1 lead at the break.

The slow start didn't rattle McDonogh because the Eagles have been through that a few times already this season.

"We've had a few of them," Burgess said. "I think that's why we handled this so well."

Mount Hebron tried to rally with two quick goals early in the second half, but the Eagles answered with the next two for a 9-3 lead. McDonogh's defense played well when asked, and goalie Allison Silber finished with eight saves, making some tough stops.

Mount Hebron goalie Maddie Fisher helped the Vikings with her eight-save effort, but McDonogh kept getting too many chances and ended a rough five-day stretch with an impressive win.

"It was tough," Chris Robinson said. "It's been a particularly brutal stretch."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.