College Park shooter had been drinking, shot roommate from behind

Autopsy reports show Rane shot four times; Green then fatally shot himself in head

  • Police say University of Maryland graduate student Dayvon Maurice Green, 23, shot two roommates, killing one, before fatally shooting himself.
Police say University of Maryland graduate student Dayvon… (NASA photo )
April 04, 2013|By Kevin Rector, The Baltimore Sun

Dayvon Green was impaired by alcohol when he pulled a handgun out of his waistband in front of his College Park home early on a February morning and shot roommate Stephen Rane to death, according to autopsy reports released Thursday.

Green, a graduate student at the University of Maryland, also wounded roommate Neal Oa before putting the gun to the back of his head, behind his right ear, and pulling the trigger, according to the reports.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner released the reports on Rane and Green after Prince George's County police and prosecutors confirmed that they had closed their investigation into the killings that shook the state's flagship university and led officials to direct more money toward mental health services for students.

With Green dead, no charges were filed.

On the day of the shootings, police said Green's family told them he had been battling a mental illness for at least a year. His autopsy report provides the first public indication that he was also impaired by alcohol at the time of the shootings.

Other details in the reports help fill in a narrative of events early on the morning of Feb. 12 at a student house on a narrow residential street less than a quarter-mile from campus.

Green's body was found at 12:50 a.m. behind the home he shared with Rane, a senior English major and graduate of Centennial High School in Ellicott City; Oa, a junior economics major; and at least two other roommates.

Green, a graduate student in engineering, was pronounced dead at 12:52 a.m., the medical examiner reported. He was dressed in a black jacket and a blue sweatshirt with dark pants.

Hours later, a medical examiner would find two $20 bills tucked into his left sock, an unusual discovery given that all property other than clothing is usually removed from the dead before their bodies are sent to the medical examiner's office.

A single bullet fragment was found in part of Green's brain, according to the autopsy report.

Police found a bag that Green had packed with a machete, a baseball bat and a loaded semiautomatic Uzi. They also found evidence of fires he had started in the backyard that police believe he used to lure his roommates outside.

Police said at a news conference on the day of the shootings that they were looking into whether the bag indicated a plan by Green to commit more violence. They have not released any findings.

Blood tests showed Green had a blood-alcohol level of 0.14 percent, nearly twice the legal driving limit in Maryland of .08 percent. The medical examiner's office said a 0.14 percent blood-alcohol content suggests he had consumed the equivalent of about seven beers.

The medical examiner said Rane's body was found at 12:52 a.m., the same time Green was pronounced dead.

Rane, wearing a black jacket and blue T-shirt, had been shot three times, once in the lower right back and twice in the left buttock. He was grazed by a fourth bullet in the upper left back.

"The back of the jacket and T-shirt were blood-soaked," the examiner wrote in the autopsy report.

Only two of the four bullets — both large-caliber and copper-jacketed — were found, according to the report. Police said Green used a 9 mm handgun.

Rane, who was pronounced dead at Prince George's Medical Center at 1:49 a.m., did not have alcohol in his system, according to the medical examiner. None of his wounds were the result of close-range fire, which could indicate that he was either caught off-guard with his back to Green or was fleeing at the time of the shooting.

Oa also was shot fleeing the scene, police said, after he saw Green pull the gun from his waistband. He was treated on the day of the shootings and released. Police have not provided further information about his wounds.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.