Fight in Annapolis High cafeteria may lead to charges against seven students

March 18, 2013|By Joe Burris, The Baltimore Sun

Seven students at Annapolis High School could face criminal charges stemming from a Monday morning fracas in the school's cafeteria, according to Anne Arundel County police and school officials.

Anne Arundel County police spokesman Justin Mulcahy said officers responded to a call at 7:05 a.m. at the school, where a fight between three students had escalated into a brawl between seven.

He said all seven students — including two that are old enough to be charged as adults — will face criminal charges, though he could not immediately say what the charges would be.

He said there were no reports of weapons used in the fight, though a chair was apparently thrown, he said. Mulcahy said an ambulance had been called to the scene but was subsequently canceled before arrival.

Anne Arundel County Public Schools spokesman Bob Mosier said the fracas apparently began over something that appeared on a social media website over the weekend.

Mosier said during the fracas, about 100 people gathered to watch and the student resource officer intervened. One student suffered a bloody nose in the incident, he said.

Mosier said that incident is still under investigation, and a letter about the fight will be sent home with students to parents on Monday.

  • Text NEWS to 70701 to get Baltimore Sun local news text alerts
  • Baltimore Sun Articles
    |
    |
    |
    Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.