State lacrosse: Poppleton, Hopkins men defeat Michigan, 17-8

Mount beats Delaware; UMBC wins; Georgetown women top Towson, 13-10

February 24, 2013|From Sun staff reports

The No. 5 host Johns Hopkins men's lacrosse team got 11 goals and nine assists from its starting attack and first midfield, and Mike Poppleton won 17 of 18 faceoffs to fuel a 17-8 win over visiting Michigan at Homewood Field on Saturday.

The win improves Hopkins' record to 3-0, while the Wolverines slip to 0-3. The meeting was the first between Johns Hopkins and Michigan in men's lacrosse.

The Blue Jays took all the drama out of the game with an 8-0 run that turned an early 1-0 deficit into an 8-1 lead early in the second quarter. Michigan was never closer than six the rest of the way as Poppleton's effort on faceoffs repeatedly gave the Blue Jays possession throughout the game.

Brandon Benn fueled the 8-1 run as he scored all three of his goals during the spree, which took less than 13 minutes. Six players scored during the run for Johns Hopkins, which scored the final five goals of the run in less than three minutes.

The Wolverines halted the Blue Jays rally early in the second half as Dan Kinek and David Joseph sandwiched goals around the second tally of the day by Hopkins' Zach Palmer, but the Blue Jays defense held Michigan to just one goal over the next 23 minutes as senior goalie Pierce Bassett recorded eight of his 10 saves in the second and third quarters.

Mount St. Mary's 15, Delaware 12: Brett Schmidt, Cody Lehrer (Dulaney) and Andrew Scalley (Archbishop Spalding) combined for 11 goals to lead the host Mount (2-1) past the Blue Hens (1-3).

Scalley finished the game with a career-high nine points on three goals and six assists. Schmidt and Lehrer each scored four goals.

After Delaware's Nick Diachenko opened the scoring just 41 seconds into the game, the Mount responded with four goals in a span of 4:26 for a 4-1 advantage. Daniel Stranix opened the scoring run, followed by a pair of goals by Brett Schmidt and one from Scalley.

Diachenko stopped the streak with his second goal of the game, but Lehrer answered for a 5-2 advantage. The high-octane first quarter continued as Delaware's Connor McRoy, Brett Schmidt, and Diachenko each scored in the final 1:36. When the dust settled, the Mount led 6-4 after one quarter.

After that, the game settled down, as Scalley scored the only goal of the second quarter to put the Mount ahead 7-4 at the half.

Lehrer and Bryant Schmidt opened the scoring in the third quarter for a 9-4 advantage, but Delaware responded with five unanswered goals to tie the game at 9. Brian Kormondy started the run with 8:08 left in the third quarter before Danny Keane cut the deficit to 9-6. Diachenko added back-to-back scores, and the run was capped by a goal by Kormondy with six seconds left in the quarter.

UMBC 11, Rutgers 7: Goalkeeper Adam Cohen made 12 of his 13 saves in the final 45 minutes and the host Retrievers (1-1) used a 5-1 third-quarter surge to beat the Scarlet Knights (2-2).

Eight Retrievers scored goals and the hosts were led by Matt Gregoire (South River), who scored his first three goals of the season. Joe Lustgarten had one goal and three assists, and Scott Jones had two goals and an assist for UMBC.

Rutgers' Scott Klimchak led all players with five goals.

Salisbury 7, Widener 5: A balanced scoring attack by the Sea Gulls (2-2) netted two goals in each of the first three quarters.

The victory ended a two-game losing streak. Eric Kluge finished with three goals for Salisbury, which outshot the Pioneers (1-1), 37-26.

Mary Washington 11, McDaniel 9: The host Eagles (2-1) broke a tie at 7 by outscoring the Green Terror (0-2) 4-2 in the fourth quarter.

Luke Dick scored two of his three goals in the final quarter for Mary Washington. Michael Woglom and Skippy Clary (Catonsville) each had two goals for McDaniel.

Dickinson 19, St. Mary's 5: Matt Tarrant (three goals) gave the Seahawks (1-1) a 2-1 advantage with 9:58 left in the first quarter, but the Red Devils (2-0) reeled off the next five goals in a game played at St.Paul's.

St. Mary's never got closer than three goals from the second quarter on. Dickinson was ranked eighth in a preseason Top20 poll by USILA.

Stevenson 11, Hampden-Sydney 5: Chris Dashiell and Tyler Reid each scored four goals to power the visiting Mustangs (2-0) past the Tigers (1-1).

Stevenson opened the first quarter with a 5-0 run.

Frostburg State 10, Catholic 8: The visiting Bobcats (1-0) broke a halftime tie at 5 by outscoring the Cardinals (1-1) 3-1 in the third quarter.

Spenser Love (Winters Mill) scored his fourth goal with 14:43 left in the game. Frostburg scored back-to-back goals before giving up the last two.

Hood 16, Rosemont 4: The host Blazers (1-1) led 9-1 at halftime and were never threatened.

Pat Harrington and Mike Higgs (Towson Catholic) each scored three goals for Hood. The Ramblers fell to 0-1.

Washington College 16, Goucher 8: The visiting Shoremen (1-0) scored eight goals in the first quarter to race past the Gophers (1-1).

Hunter Nowicki (Franklin) and Grant Hughes each had a hat trick for Washington College.


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.