Smoke detector alerts Edgewood family to townhouse fire

  • Fire units from three local companies quickly brought a townhouse fire under control early Tuesday morning in the 600 block of Harpark Court in Edgewood.
Fire units from three local companies quickly brought a townhouse… (Photo courtesy Joppa-Magnolia…)
January 08, 2013|AEGIS STAFF REPORT

Occupants of an Edgewood townhouse escaped without injury Tuesday morning after a fire broke out in the kitchen, according to one of the responding fire companies.

At 2:35 a.m., Harford County 9-1-1 received a call for a house fire in the 600 block of Harpark Court, near Edgewood Road, according to a media release from the Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company, which was alerted to respond at 2:38 a.m., along with the Abingdon Volunteer Fire Company and the Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire Department, Edgewood Station.

Within two minutes, according to the release, three pieces of Joppa Maganolia fire apparatus and two chief officers responded, with 16 volunteers. At 2:42 am, fire units arrived and reported a two story townhouse, with smoke showing. Crews deployed hoses and ladders and quickly extinguished a small kitchen fire.

The fire was started by a cooking pot on the stove that quickly spread to the cabinets, according to the release. There was no damage to any other home in the group and no injuries were reported. The occupants on the second floor, members of a family who were sleeping, were alerted by smoke detectors, according to the release, which said the fire caused approximately $2,500 damage.

"Having working smoke detectors in the residence contributed to no civilians being injured during this incident," the fire company's release states.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.