Man shot, arrested after fight in Riverside Tuesday

January 03, 2013|AEGIS STAFF REPORT

A 40-year-old Edgewood man is being held without bail at the Harford County Detention Center after a New Year's Day fight, with a domestic element, that became a shooting and led a judge to tell the suspect that if ever there was a case that cried out for a person to be held without bail, this was it.

David Lamont Gregg, of the 3400 block of Periwinkle Way in Edgewood, is charged with first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, use of a firearm in the commission of an assault and carrying a concealed dangerous weapon.

It all started with the simple act of returning two children, ages 9 and 3, to their father, David Woodfolk, 35, who lives in the 4200 block of Chapelgate Court in Riverside, according to the Harford County Sheriff's Office. Gregg is married to Woodfolk's ex-wife and was delivering the two children to their father.

During the altercation, one man suffered a head injury and another was shot, according to the Harford County Sheriff's Office.

The incident happened in front of the two children, according to the statement of charges, a point District Court Judge Mimi Cooper reminded Gregg of during a bail review hearing Wednesday afternoon. This is not Gregg's first brush with the law, or carrying a concealed weapon, it was pointed out by the prosecution Wednesday as Gregg's public defender sought to get his status of being held without bail changed.

"If ever there was a case where a defendant should be held without bail because he's an extreme danger to the community, this is it," Cooper said as Gregg watched via closed circuit TV from the detention center.

"The defendant is held without bail. Step back," Cooper said to the defendant as she prepared for the next defendant's bail review hearing.

At about 5:50 p.m. Tuesday, New Year's Day, sheriff's deputies responded to the 4200 block of Chapelgate Court in Riverside for a report of a shooting, according to a media release issued Wednesday morning by the sheriff's office. When they arrived, deputies found Woodfolk bleeding from a head injury.

Woodfolk told deputies he was in a fight with Gregg, whom he identified as his ex-wife's husband.

Woodfolk told deputies that Gregg had come to the Chapelgate Court address about 10 minutes earlier to drop off Woodfolk's children, ages 9 and 3. In an attempt to prevent a confrontation between Gregg and Woodfolk, Calvin Betts, identified as Woodfolk's uncle, tried to meet Gregg in front of the house, according to court documents. As Gregg approached the house, court records say, he pushed his way past Betts, pulled out a handgun, "racked the slide to the handgun and pointed the handgun" at Woodfolk's head.

Woodfolk told the deputies that "he punched Mr. Gregg to defend himself. A fight ensued." As they fought, according to court documents, "Woodfolk reported that he was struck on the back of the head several times by Mr. Gregg. The handgun discharged." Woodfolk fell to the ground and Gregg ran from the scene to his silver BMW, which he had left parked on Route 543, which is behind and parallel to Chapelgate Court.

Woodfolk, who was not hit by hit by the bullet fired, refused treatment at the scene, the sheriff's office said.

Deputies went to Gregg's home in the 3400 block of Periwinkle Way in Edgewood, where they saw he had sustained a gunshot wound to the shoulder, according to the sheriff's office. He was treated at the scene and then flown by Maryland State Police Medevac to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where he was treated and released.

Upon returning to his home, Gregg was arrested by deputies, according to the media release.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.