Bates Middle School in Annapolis evacuated after boiler explosion

January 02, 2013|By Joe Burris, The Baltimore Sun

A boiler room explosion at Bates Middle School in Annapolis on Wednesday morning injured two maintenance workers and prompted Anne Arundel County School officials to evacuate the building.

Anne Arundel County Schools spokesman Bob Mosier said that the school's boiler was down and a maintenance crew was working on it shortly before 9 a.m., when a small explosion occurred in the boiler room. Mosier said there was no fire but significant smoke from the explosion. The maintenance workers were transported to a nearby hospital with minor injuries.

Students and staff were evacuated to the adjacent Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts.

Mosier said Wednesday night that safety inspections at the school had been completed and that the school would open on time Thursday.

joseph.burris@baltsun.com

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.