Digest: Mullins, Nairn named semifinalists for soccer's Hermann Trophy

Schwarzmann, Mundorf, Lusby, Toomey win Laxies

November 29, 2012|Sports Digest

Soccer

Mullins, Nairn named Hermann semifinalists

 

 

Maryland forward Patrick Mullins has been chosen as a semifinalist for the MAC Hermann Trophy, the highest individual award in college soccer. Mullins was the Atlantic Coast Conference Offensive Player of the Year after leading the league in goals (15) and points (38) in 2012. The award, to be presented Jan. 11 at a banquet at the Missouri Athletic Club in St. Louis, will be voted on by National Soccer Coaches Association of America member coaches, with finalists named Dec. 6. Fans will also have a chance to vote for their top three choices. Jason Garey is the Terps' lone MAC Hermann Trophy winner (2005). The second-seeded Terps host No. 10 seed Louisville at 5 p.m. Saturday in the NCAA quarterfinals.

Women's Hermann Trophy: Penn State senior midfielder Christine Nairn (Archbishop Spalding) was named a semifinalist.

Other men's honors: Loyola freshman Larry Ndjock was named to the College Soccer News All-Freshman Second Team. The MAAC Rookie of the Year finished the season with 13 goals and 29 points, the most for a Greyhound since Phil Bannister had 13 goals and 33 points in 2007. ... UMBC junior forward Pete Caringi III (Calvert Hall) is among 34 finalists for the Soccer News Net College Boot award, recognizing the Men's College Player of the Year. Fans can vote through soccernewsnet.com. Fan voting will account for 40 percent of the award; the remaining 60 percent of the vote will be cast by the Soccer News Net editorial staff.

Indoor tournament: The Central Maryland Soccer Association is accepting team registrations for the 18th annual Bay State Holiday tournament, scheduled for Dec. 27-29 in Hampstead. The tournament is open to all school, recreation and club-level travel teams in the Mid-Atlantic region. Competition is available for boys and girls teams for ages 8 through 18; 18-and-under coed and men's open. All age groups will take place on the following days: Dec. 27, 15-16, 13-14, 7-8 boys and 13-14 and 7-8 Girls; Dec. 28, coed 18-and-under, 15-16, 17-18 and 11-12 girls and 11-12 boys; Dec. 29, men's open, 17-18, 9-10 boys and 9-10 girls. The deadline for registration is Dec.17. Registration and roster forms are available on the tournaments page at cmsasoccer.com. For more information, email scorenews@aol.com.

Lacrosse

Schwarzmann, Mundorf, Lusby, Toomey win Laxies

Maryland senior Katie Schwarzmann (Century) and former Loyola attackman Eric Lusby (Severna Park) were named the Women's and Men's Division I Players of the Year by Inside Lacrosse as part of its annual Laxie Awards in its December issue. Lusby, who was named the Most Outstanding Player of the NCAA tournament for the national champion Greyhounds, also was chosen as the Clutch Performer of the Year and Breakthrough Player of the Year. Loyola was recognized as the Team of the Year, while the Greyhounds' Charley Toomey was voted Coach of the Year. Johns Hopkins' 10-9 overtime win over Loyola, which was its only loss of the season, was named Game of the Year. Denver Outlaws attackman Brendan Mundorf (UMBC), the 2012 Major League Lacrosse Most Valuable Player, was named MLL Player of the Year.

Women: US Lacrosse has named Lehigh University the host site for its 2013 Women's National Tournament, slated for Memorial Day weekend, May 25-26. The tournament, which dates to 1933, features US Lacrosse chapter-selected teams showcasing the best high school girls players across the country as well as international competition. The tournament is held in conjunction with the NCAA Division I women's lacrosse finals and hosts the schoolgirls division, grades 9-11 and the high school seniors-only division. In 2012, more than 1,400 women's lacrosse players on 66 teams participated in the tournament, with 62 of the teams competing in the schoolgirl's division. The U.S. women's national team is also scheduled to play an exhibition game against Team Canada in preparation for the 2013 Federation of International Lacrosse World Cup to be held July 11-20 in Oshawa, Canada.

Clinic: Johns Hopkins will hold its Spring Tune Up for players in grades 6 to 11 at the O'Connor Recreation Center on Jan. 6, Jan. 13, Jan. 20 and Jan. 27. All clinics are from 10 a.m. to noon. The clinic features speed work/conditioning for one hour and stickwork/skill polishing for one hour. Groups will be limited to ensure individual attention. The clinic is designed for players who are looking to polish their skills, learn advanced skills and get in lacrosse shape before the spring season starts.

Et cetera

D.C. United's Wolff retires, joins staff as assistant coach

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.