Glen Burnie man injured in chimney fire

Victim taken to Shock Trauma for hyperbaric treatment

November 25, 2012|By Kevin Rector, The Baltimore Sun

A 47-year-old Glen Burnie man was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in critical condition after a fire broke out in his home Saturday afternoon, according to the Anne Arundel County Fire Department.

Firefighters responded to the home in the 400 block of Blossom Lane about 3:55 p.m. for a report of a chimney fire and found a two-story single family home with flames visible at the rear of the first and second floors, sad Battalion Chief Steve Thompson, a fire department spokesman.

It took 35 firefighters about 30 minutes to extinguish the blaze, Thompson said.

The man, who was the only person in the home at the time, was rushed to Shock Trauma for smoke inhalation treatment in the hospital's hyperbaric chamber, Thompson said.

Thompson said chimney fires can spread for different reasons, including a closed flue or a crack in the chimney's walls. A cause for Saturday's fire has not been determined, he said.

Damage estimates were not immediately available, he said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.