13 chickens die in fire in their chicken coop in HdG

November 13, 2012|AEGIS STAFF REPORT

More than a dozen chickens died in a fire in their chicken coop in Havre de Grace Monday night.

The fire was discovered shortly before 8 p.m. by David E. Toney, who owned the 8-by-6-foot chicken coop that was attached to a 10-by-12-foot shed in the 4100 block of Gravel Hill Road.

It started accidentally when a heating lamp inside the coop had fallen and ignited nearby combustibles, according to a press release from the Maryland State Fire Marshal.

The chicken coop was a complete loss and 13 chickens died in the fire.

It took 18 firefighters from Level Volunteer Fire Company and Susquehanna Hose Company about two minutes to put out the fire, which caused an estimated $4,000 damage to the structure and $2,000 in damages to the contents.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.