Man critically injured in Crownsville fire

2-alarm blaze displaces four

November 05, 2012|By Kevin Rector, The Baltimore Sun

One man was critically injured and three others were displaced from their homes after a two-alarm fire burned through a Crownsville home that had been converted into separate apartment units, according to the Anne Arundel County Fire Department.

Firefighters responded to a report of a dwelling fire in the 1300 block of Generals Highway just before 6:30 p.m. to find the home almost 50 percent engulfed in flames, said Capt. Michael Pfaltzgraff, a department spokesman.

Firefighters began "an aggressive fire attack and also became aware that there may be a victim still in the house," Pfaltzgraff said. At that point, they called for a second alarm.

A man in his mid-70s was subsequently located in the basement unit of the home and transported to Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis in critical condition, Pfaltzgraff said.

Three other adults were also displaced by the fire, and the American Red Cross was assisting them with finding temporary housing, Pfaltzgraff said.

A total of 75 fire personnel from Anne Arundel County, Annapolis and the U.S. Naval Academy battled the blaze, bringing it under control shortly after 7:30 p.m., Pfaltzgraff said.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical problem. Damages were initially estimated at $75,000.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.