Aberdeen Police mourn second officer to die this month

  • Cpl. Larry Wade with the Aberdeen Police Department Honor Guard prepares the flag before handing it to Chief Henry Trabert during Tuesday's funeral service for Aberdeen Police Detective Mark Franklin at the Mountain Christian Church.
Cpl. Larry Wade with the Aberdeen Police Department Honor Guard… (MATT BUTTON | AEGIS STAFF,…)
September 25, 2012|AEGIS STAFF REPORT

The Aberdeen Police Department is mourning the loss of Detective Mark Franklin, who died Sept. 20 after battling cancer since the first of the year.

Detective Franklin, 55, was a 13-year veteran of the city's police force, serving as the department's crime scene technician.

Before joining the Aberdeen Police, Detective Franklin served two years with the Maryland Transportation Authority Police. He was a member of Local Union #26 and worked as an electrician for 15 years.

"Mark was a true professional and will be greatly missed," the department said in a news release Friday announcing Detective Franklin's death.

He loved to ride his Harley Davidson motorcycle and was a committed family man who was known for his character and motivational skills when working with others, according to his obituary, which is published in Wednesday's edition of The Aegis.

Detective Franklin is survived by his wife of one year, Aileen Franklin, and four children, Charlie Franklin, Cody Franklin, Carson Franklin and Casey Green.

His funeral service was Tuesday, Sept. 25, at Mountain Christian Church in Joppa. Interment was at Mountain Christian Cemetery.

Donations can be made to the Harford County Child Advocacy Center, 23 N. Main St., Bel Air, MD 21014. Memory tributes may also be sent to the family at mccomasfuneralhome.com.

Detective Franklin's death was the second in less than two weeks for the Aberdeen Police Department. On Sept. 8, Officer Charles Armetta was killed in an off-duty fall in Baltimore.

Two other active Harford County lawmen also died this month, Sheriff's Deputy Cpl. Charles Licato in an on-duty automobile accident on Sept. 6 and Sheriff's Deputy Sgt. Ian Loughran on Sept. 13 from a heart attack suffered while on duty attending Cpl. Licato's funeral the previous afternoon.

In addition, former Harford Sheriff Theodore S. Moyer died following a long illness on Sept. 17.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.