Orioles fans recount night/morning watching win over Mariners

September 19, 2012

We asked Orioles fans who stayed up for the 18-inning win over Seattle to share their experiences of watching the marathon game. Here are a selection of responses:

For a Baltimorean living here in the Czech Republic, the game started at 4:00 AM.  So I got up in the middle of the night (as I have for the past 3 months) and watched until the very last minute that I needed to leave for the office – this was at 9:15 AM, with 2 outs in the bottom of the 16th.  I arrived at the office (a 5-minute walk), sat through a brief meeting, ran to my computer and switched on mlb.com to see that JJ had just singled to set up the first-and-third.  I watched the rest of the game with my door shut, trying not to bother my colleagues by cheering too loud …   

Joseph Pennington

Deputy Chief of Mission

U.S. embassy, Prague

I'm a Baltimorean living in Beijing, China, and I follow most of the games on ESPN.com Gamecast. We're on 12-hour time difference here right now, so this game was nice because it occupied all my down time at work, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. or so. Sadly I wasn't wearing the free giveaway, Chinese characters Wei-Yin Chen T-shirt that my mom shipped to me here. 

I've been an O's fan my whole life and I've been waiting 15 years for this playoff run and now I'm not in the country to appreciate it! I was just back in town visiting and got to go to a game and a half. Sadly the extra inning win that gave us the sweep against Tampa Bay I had to leave for the airport to come back.

Andrew Gorman, DVM

I am a very tired but very happy O’s fan today. Had to wake up at 7:30 but only getting 3 hours of sleep was completely worth it. I haven't seen a winning baseball team in Baltimore since I was 10 years old and there's no way I could miss a chance to see some Oriole magic. Every time I wanted to go to sleep I could feel the magic was coming. When we finally got the winning hit courtesy of Mr. Clutch Double T (Taylor Teagarden) my roommate and I yelled so loud we woke up our other roomie. Haha.

I am sorry for those fans who couldn't stay up ( and understandably so) but that was worth every minute! Go O’s!!!!!

Ricardo Bittner 

My eyes are bleary today.  Thank God we won.  I know what's at stake.  I saw the seagulls try to take over Safeco Field and what they did to Tommy Hunter.  Maybe it's an omen.  We never give up.  Go O's!

Gil Griggs

You don't ever leave an extra inning game ... not this year for sure.

Marty Conway 

I am a United Airlines pilot. After flying an all-night flight from Washington-Dulles to Geneva, Switzerland, and checking into my hotel room, I checked in to see how the Orioles had fared in Seattle. I was surprised to see that it was still ongoing ... 2-2 in the 16th inning. I listened to the remainder of the game on my iPad and was glad to see the O's pull it out. Let’s go O's.

Dan Koerschner

I stayed up to watch all 18 innings of the O's vs. Seattle.  After Chris Davis singled in two runs to tie it and the game ended up in extra innings, there was no doubt in my mind the Orioles would win.  Each inning I said I would only stay up for one more, but after investing so much time, it made no sense to me to call it quits.  I was up for work on time, but I have a 20 oz. coffee on my desk.

Dominick Bellia

Waiting 15 Disappointing Years

I fell asleep on my sofa 10-ish (EST) and woke up shortly after 12 to see the O’s were down 2-0 bottom of 8. I decided to stay up to see what was in store for top of 9 and after the O’s tied it I was “all in” for the rest of the game. I followed the game on my IPod Touch using the ESPN ScoreCenter app, Twitter, and trading texts with my brother in Nashville, TN, for the “2nd 9 innings.” I don’t think I woke up my family in the 18th, but I haven’t asked them yet either. I fell asleep shortly after JJ closed it out around 4 a.m. Up at 7 a.m. and at work by 8 a.m. Coffee was poured by 8:05. No regrets … glad they won … yet another awesome memory of the Orioles in 2012.

Brad Chelton

Columbus, OH

I stayed up to watch the game knowing that I had to be up at 6:30 to volunteer at a local Baltimore school.  While I did switch from TV to radio around 3:30, I was not about to miss the outcome of this game!  Let's go O's!

Catherine Brown 

Stayed up. Did not watch postgame. Had a meeting at 8:30 this morning.

Good times though. I'm 53, feels like the old all-nighter in days of youth.

Michael Williams

Harrisburg, PA 

I've been a LOYAL AND COMMITTED O's fan since 2nd grade. I’m 31 now and have never wavered. I live on the West Coast now and sat my job late into the night to watch my boys kill it in the 18th (at a game I was supposed to be at) against the gang from Seattle!!!

This has been the most fulfilling year of my entire natural life!!!

Joshua A. Queen

Bend, OR

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.