Digest: Namoff sues D.C. United for $12M over concussion

Maryland field hockey to face ODU in home opener Friday

August 30, 2012|Sports Digest

Major League Soccer

Namoff sues United for $12M over concussion

Bryan Namoff, a long-serving D.C. United defender whose career was cut short by a concussion three years ago, filed a $12 million lawsuit Wednesday against the Major League Soccer club and former coach Tom Soehn, claiming they failed to properly evaluate his injury and cleared him to play too soon. The complaint, filed in District of Columbia Superior Court, alleges United was "negligent in its management, care and treatment" of Namoff after he was injured in a game at RFK Stadium on Sept. 9, 2009. He played three days later, which ultimately was the final appearance of his nine-year career. Namoff, now 33, says he suffered brain damage and cognitive, memory and sensory loss. He also has permanent headaches and fatigue, sleep problems and hypersensitivity to motion, the lawsuit says. Namoff's wife, Nadine, is a co-plaintiff. They are seeking $10 million for medical negligence and $2 million for the effect on their marriage. Namoff has not been able to work in two years and has continued to incur medical expenses. United spokesman Doug Hicks said the club wouldn't comment on pending litigation. Namoff's attorneys plan to add United athletic trainer Brian Goodstein, former team physician Christopher Annunziata and Commonwealth Orthopaedics — Annunziata's practice — to the lawsuit within 90 days, under Washington law regarding litigation involving health care providers. Namoff has said he suffered one concussion in high school and one in college at Bradley but none in MLS until the 2009 incident.

Steven Goff, The Washington Post

More D.C. United: Midfielder Dwayne De Rosario and defender Dejan Jakovic were named to the Canadian World Cup qualifying roster for a home-and-away matchup with Panama on Sept. 7 in Toronto and Sept. 11 in Panama City. Striker Hamdi Salihi, meanwhile, was chosen to the Albanian national team roster for a World Cup qualifying matchup with Cyprus on Sept. 7 and one with Switzerland on Sept. 11. The players will not miss any MLS games.

Colleges

Maryland field hockey to face ODU in home opener

Top-ranked Maryland (2-0) will open its home schedule against No. 3 Old Dominion (1-1) at 7 p.m. Friday in a rematch of their 2011 meeting in the NCAA tournament semifinals, won by the Terps. Admission and parking are free. After falling to Old Dominion twice in the regular season last year, the Terrapins beat the Monarchs, 4-0, in November en route to their eighth national title. On Sunday, the Terps will host No. 15 Ohio State (1-1) at 1 p.m.

Men's soccer: Navy (0-1) will host a pair of games this week as part of the Holiday Inn BWI Express Classic, co-hosted by UMBC. The Mids play Robert Morris in tonight's home opener at 7p.m. and then take on Virginia Commonwealth on Saturday at 7 p.m. Both games will be played at the Glenn Warner Soccer Facility.

Women's college volleyball: Maryland (3-0) opens its home schedule this weekend with the Maryland Invitational. On Friday night, the Terps take on Seton Hall at 7:30 p.m. On Saturday, the squad faces Binghamton at 1:30 p.m. and then concludes the invitational against Ohio State at 7:30p.m.

Et cetera

Shackleford to race at Saratoga on Saturday

Shackleford, last year's Preakness winnner, leads a group of eight sprinters entered in the Grade I, $500,000 Forego Stakes, a seven-furlong race for 3-year-olds and up Saturday at Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga, N.Y. The Forego, Race 9 on Saturday's card, will be shown live on NBC during the "Summer at Saratoga" broadcast 5-6 p.m. and also include the Grade I, $750,000 Woodward Stakes.

From Sun staff and news services

WNBA: League scoring leader Angel McCoughtry (St. Frances) was suspended indefinitely Tuesday by the Atlanta Dream for violating team rules, the Associated Press reported. McCoughtry had feuded with former coach-general manager Marynell Meadors, who was fired Monday, but it was unclear whether the ban was related.

Wizards: Washington signed swingman Martell Webster to a one-year deal. The Wizards reached an agreement with Webster last week but needed a few days to get the paperwork together on a contract worth $1.6 million, according to league sources. Webster, a career 37.4 percent 3-point shooter in seven seasons with Portland and Minnesota, adds another perimeter threat to a team that finished 28th in three-point shooting percentage last season.

Michael Lee, The Washington Post

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.