Gilman blanks St. Paul's in soccer opener

Barger scores two goals in Greyhounds' 4-0 victory

  • Gilman's Sam Wancowicz, center, takes a direct kick during the first half against St. Paul's. The Greyhounds cruised to a 4-0 victory.
Gilman's Sam Wancowicz, center, takes a direct kick during… (Staff photo by Jen Rynda )
August 29, 2012|By Tom Worgo

While Gilman and St. Paul's are only about six miles apart, there was a world of difference in the play of the two teams in the season opener Wednesday afternoon in Roland Park.

The Greyhounds rolled to a 4-0 victory over the visiting Crusaders, building a 16-4 shot advantage while scoring three times in the second half in a match between Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A and B Conference foes, respectively.

Junior forward Brendan Barger scored twice for the winners.

"We were just physically manhandled in the second half," St. Paul's coach Danny Skelton said. "They don't give you a second to breath. We were getting way too wrapped up in their direct style and forcing things down the center of the field. We just didn't make the adjustments."

St. Paul's best opportunity to score came in the fifth minute, but goalie Chase Wittich made a diving save on striker Juwan Kearson's rocket shot to the right corner to keep St. Paul's silent.

The rest of the half belonged to Gilman while the Crusaders went nearly 30 minutes between shots.

Barger angled behind a cluster of defenders to receive a short pass from Carter Gray and slotted the ball to the far post in the 24th minutes to give the Greyhounds a 1-0 lead.

Just 90 seconds into the second half, junior Ben Grace hit the right post, foreshadowing what was to be in store for the rest of the period.

The Greyhounds kept up the pressure and broke through in the 61st minute when Barger's header beat keeper Pat Buttarazzi, who was caught off the goal line.

"We got a goal in the first half, but I didn't like the way we were playing," Gilman coach Jon Seal said. "We weren't working together. I didn't like the way they were going through midfield without any resistance. But we regrouped in the second half, and made some tactical adjustments."

Gilman went ahead, 3-0, when Ronny Vint headed Sam Wancowicz's crossing pass into the net before John Simms finished the Greyhounds' scoring.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.