William H. Moore IV, owner of home security firm

Towson resident was active in Presbyterian church

(Handout photo )
August 26, 2012|By Michael Dresser, The Baltimore Sun

William Hanson Moore IV, a descendant of Maryland's earliest settlers who for nearly three decades operated a company that installed custom burglar alarms, died last Monday at Greater Baltimore Medical Center of heart failure. The Towson resident was 79.

Born in Baltimore, Moore was the son of William H. "Dinty" Moore III, a renowned lacrosse coach at St. John's College and the U.S. Naval Academy who was a founder of the Lacrosse Hall of Fame.

Father and son were direct descendants of Henry Moore, who settled in what is now Charles County in 1649, and John Hanson, who arrived in Maryland in 1653 and whose great-grandson of the same name was president of the first Continental Congress.

William Moore IV, known as Bingy, graduated from Gilman School in 1951. He went on to the Naval Academy, where he served as manager of the varsity lacrosse team before graduating in 1955.

According to his son, Mr. Moore acquired his nickname because he was born the day after the repeal of Prohibition. When Dinty Moore first saw the newborn's ruddy cheeks, he remarked that the baby looked as if he had been on a binge. The name stuck — to the point where he was listed in the phone book under both his nickname and given name.

Bingy Moore served four years on active duty in the Navy and four more in the Naval Reserve before retiring as a lieutenant in 1963, according to his son, William H. "Willy" Moore V of Relay.

In 1959, William Moore IV married Marion Catron Prince of Washington.

After his military service, Mr. Moore went to work for his father at College Manor Nursing Home, now known as College Manor Extended Family Assisted Living, in 1960. He worked until 1967 at the facility, which is now owned and operated by his sister.

Mr. Moore went on to work for an electronic meter company, for Mount Saint Agnes College (now merged into Loyola University Maryland), the Maryland Academy of Sciences and the Potter & Parsons water pump company before founding Moore Security in 1975.

His venture into the home security business grew out of Mr. Moore's long-standing interest in electronics, according to his son.

Wllly Moore said his father's interest was inspired by D. Donnelly Moore Sr., an electrical contractor and father of his best friend, Daniel D. Moore Jr., who was no relation.

Daniel Moore said his father taught many of his friends the techniques of soldering, a skill Bingy Moore would later use to install security systems.

In the early years of his business, Mr. Moore specialized in designing custom-built burglar alarm systems for residents of such affluent older neighborhoods as Guilford, Homeland, Roland Park, Ruxton and the Valleys. At the time, such systems had to be connected to a control system by wires embedded in the walls rather than the wireless systems now in widespread use.

Mr. Moore's "gift," his son said, was an ability to install systems that protected his customers without disturbing the integrity of their homes' design.

"He was a master at what's called 'fishing' wires, so you're able to pull wires within the walls," Willy Moore said.

Daniel Moore said he still has one of the early systems installed in his house in the Pinehurst section of Baltimore County, where the two boys grew up.

"It never fails but keeps on going," he said.

Mr. Moore sold the business to Kay Electric in 2003 and retired in 2005.

Willy Moore said his father had a "life-changing" experience in his 40s when he became a "born-again" Christian. He became a member of Valley Presbyterian Church in Lutherville, in which he remained active for the rest of his life.

"He was a renowned person in his church, not only locally but nationally," his son said. "That really became the primary interest in his life."

Over more than three decades, Mr. Moore served the church in a variety of capacities — as ruling elder, acting moderator and clerk of session, among other posts. At various times, he chaired the church's Christian education, budget and finance, worship, missions, administrative and pulpit nominating committees.

Mr. Moore was also active at the regional presbytery and national General Assembly level. After serving as vice moderator of the Delmarva Presbytery in 1989, he became convener and first moderator of the Potomac Presbytery in 1990 and again in 1998, and served as chairman and member of several presbytery committees. Among his many national positions, he served three terms as a full member of the General Assembly and two as an alternate.

In addition to his church activities, Mr. Moore was a ham radio operator — having first acquired a license in his late teens with the help of Donnelly Moore. During the 1983 U.S. invasion of Grenada, Bingy Moore monitored transmissions from a radio operator on the island and passed news reports to local television stations.

Mr. Moore held the license W3TAL until his death. Willy Moore said his father would joke that the TAL stood for "tall and lanky" — an accurate self-description.

"My father had a huge sense of humor and was a bit of a practical joker and was always a story-teller and always telling jokes," his son said.

Daniel Moore said he called his friend "Mr. Integrity."

"He was an outstanding person in terms of his word was his bond," Daniel Moore said.

Bingy Moore lived almost all his life in the Baltimore area, except for two years in Ohio after leaving the Navy. He and his wife moved from Mays Chapel to the Blakehurst retirement community in Towson in June.

In addition to his wife of 53 years and his son, Mr. Moore is survived by a daughter, Susan Short of Clarksville; his sister, Jane Ryland Banks of Ruxton, and four grandsons.

Services are Wednesday at 11 a.m. at Valley Presbyterian, 2200 W. Joppa Road. His ashes will be placed at the columbarium at the Naval Academy.


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.