Duquette says Orioles are still looking into possible moves outside organization

August 09, 2012|By Dan Connolly

Without making a trade or claiming someone on the waiver wire, the Orioles have attempted to address their corner infield hole by calling up uber-prospect Manny Machado to play third base.

But that doesn’t mean executive vice president Dan Duquette is closing the door on adding help from outside the organization, whether it be a pitcher or a hitter.

“No, we are looking around every day,” Duquette said.

Will he still try and find a third baseman?

“Let’s give Manny a shot and see how he contributes,” Duquette said.

The Orioles had shown interest this week in first baseman Lyle Overbay, who was released by the Arizona Diamondbacks and is a free agent. But, with Machado likely getting the bulk of playing time at third, the Orioles have Wilson Betemit, Mark Reynolds and Chris Davis for two spots, designated hitter and first base.

Another player the Orioles could have interest in, right-hander Derek Lowe, was designated for assignment last week by the Cleveland Indians. It’s possible Lowe clears waivers by Friday and then be able to talk to teams directly. There’s a sense Lowe may end up back in the National League.

Duquette doesn’t publicly discuss his interest in other players, especially those still on other teams’ rosters. 

Orioles outfielder Endy Chavez also is expected to clear waivers Friday. He’d likely accept an assignment to Triple-A Norfolk.
Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.